Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Someone needs to try that Whiteline bushing insert stat! Hopefully that is all that's needed. Does anyone know if it cured the same issue some of the s197 had?
Sounds like a slop issue and the Whiteline bushing may help. Or better yet, Ford stiffens the mount for us! :doh:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
I'm really starting to think that its a driveshaft "slack" issue. However, I dont know enough about these new ones just yet to be sure.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I'm really starting to think that its a driveshaft "slack" issue. However, I dont know enough about these new ones just yet to be sure.
If the tranny mount is too soft it will give the drive shaft more vertical travel, causing slop. Ford makes the tranny mount soft to lessen the vibration feel. There is a fine line between too stiff (more vibration) and too soft (more travel, possible thuds).

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
I said this on the first page guys... Comman...

Give it a try, it'll most likely work

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
CN someone expound on the Whiteline bushing?

Sponsored

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
Basically it's a insert that sits in the open space and gets the slack out of your transmission

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Check with your dealer about meeting the same specifications of the fluid the car ships with. The fluid is a lifetime fill, no draining should ever be needed for the life of the car, in theory. That being said, there will be alternatives but you don't want the dealer/Ford denying a warranty claim because you used a fluid that doesn't meet the specifications of the current fill - this includes viscosity.
The MT82 Tranny has had a checkered history since it was introduced and there are several NHTSB reports detailing over hundreds of consumer complaints with the MT82 ranging from poor shifting between 1st and 2nd gear to high pitch whining and discovered Pressure plate bolts coming loose. The recommended "fixes" that Ford has issued for a lot of these woes are documented as 1) checking pressure plate bolt torques and adjusting same 2) checking flywheel alignment pins for shearing and 3) switching to a lighter viscosity gearbox fluid to aid is better shifting. Ford MT82 owners who had these fixes incorporated reported marked and significant improvement with their vehicles. :amen:

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Let's get those Ponies running smooth, Tele5.0, MustangDirector, and Mangrove Mafia.

Checking in with your dealer is a great first step; let me know when you do so.

Also, as I'm seeing this is more than an isolated case, I want to document your product feedback. If interested, please send me your VINs and any additional details about the noise you are hearing while shifting.

Rachel
Rachel:

I have read some of the reports previously issued with regards to problems occurring with the MT82 gearbox in earlier Mustang GT applications specifically with shifting especially when cold. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration responded to over 350 complaints with regards to these earlier problems with the Mustang GT Manual MT82 Getrag gearbox. When all was said and done, Ford issued TSB 11-3-18 and TSB 10-19-4 to correct problems inherent with these gearboxes. I submit that the gearbox quality control "Gremlins" from China have reached The American shores once again and it would be wise to alert Ford Service of potential problems yet again with the MT82 and associated hardware.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The MT82 Tranny has had a checkered history since it was introduced and there are several NHTSB reports detailing over hundreds of consumer complaints with the MT82 ranging from poor shifting between 1st and 2nd gear to high pitch whining and discovered Pressure plate bolts coming loose. The recommended "fixes" that Ford has issued for a lot of these woes are documented as 1) checking pressure plate bolt torques and adjusting same 2) checking flywheel alignment pins for shearing and 3) switching to a lighter viscosity gearbox fluid to aid is better shifting. Ford MT82 owners who had these fixes incorporated reported marked and significant improvement with their vehicles. :amen:
Yeah I had an early build '11. I had pressure plate bolts back out, hot spots on my clutch disk, and issues with the synchros. Pressure plate was replaced, clutch was replaced, new additive was added (XL-18), then they changed the fluid entirely to the XDC fluid. I guess the damage was done, none of it worked. Ford replaced the transmission and I never had another issue.

Swagthony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My GT PP does the same thing, shifts smooth but its definitely there

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
I still have the thud but with the recent temperature drops here around Dallas, I noticed some notchiness almost quick gear grind when shifting on the cold tranny. Thing is, after reading everything about this transmission, I don't know if its normal or not. LOL

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
I am not convinced that switching to dual clutch fluid will improve the gearbox over time. I have seen engineers recommend and then have issued as service bulletins changes to lubricants as "quick fix" items to buy time as they try to remedy engineering defects or flaws previously undetected. I am by trade a pilot with degrees in Aeronautical engineering and Aviation Maintenance management. I have witnessed gearbox teardowns after repeated problems associated with switching from one lubricant to another based on manufacturer analysis of wear patterns and metal fatigue. I'm just a bit concerned that there may be an underlying problem that Getrag has not readily addressed or is not prepared to address as it seems like based on current TSBs the problem has never been fully rectified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I drove my 3rd 2015 Mustang GT with the performance package today. Same thud noise when shifting between the first four gears as the other two cars. Though it did seem like the noise was a bit less on this one, it still was definitely present. I definitely believe this noise is inherent to these 2015 GT's. Are others hearing it in non GT and non PP cars?
Sponsored