Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I think its awesome that Ford and Chevy both offer track ready cars that can and have beaten the imports at their own game. Not only are they faster then their European rivals they are heavier as well. I wonder after the viper leaves the scene will mopar make a road course worthy car to to replace it and get into the game!
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I looked quite a bit at the C7 Z51, and drove them at the Ron Fellows School for a few days. Great car, really well balanced, lots of torque, but engine falls flat at the top end IMO. I really like most of the styling, but there are aspects that bug me, like the Alice Cooper tail-light vents, and the mish-mash interior layout.

Even when driving at the Ron Fellows School, I was pretty sure I would be going with the GT350 due to the engine alone. It also has an excellent brake package, and a great cooling setup (except for the 2015-2016 base and tech pack fiasco).

The GT350's engine is pretty amazing. Doesn't have the low-end grunt of the vette, but revs out with waves of torque that are exhilarating in first and second gear. The engine does vibrate quite a bit though, which (at least in my car) causes a number of interior buzzes and rattles. I love driving the car in nice weather with the windows open, since the white noise of the wind masks the rattles (as does the exhaust), but with the windows closed the rattles can get annoying.

I think the Vette was better balanced, but I can take my kids out in the GT350, and they enjoy the "roller coaster" when I have a chance to open her up a bit.

I think the Camaro ZL1 looks very good because they fixed the Camry-looking front end, but I prefer the N/A aspect over the S/C. I would not get a C7Z due to overheating issues due to track use, but for the street it would probably be a great car.

In the end though, I'd likely get a Viper, which has always been a dream car for me. My buddy at work has both a Gen V GTS and a Gen V ACR, and they are both awesome cars. Not as street friendly as the C7, but more interesting IMO, sorta like the GT350.

I guess I like cars that are a little bit rare and special, even if they may not be as well rounded as something more common like the C7.

Can't really go wrong with any of the cars IMO.

-T

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
The new LT1 makes for a fast car, but man is it ever a truck motor by modern standards. The GT350 is in the middle of its powerband when the LT1 is bouncing on the limiter.

Its not a wrong way to make a fast car, its just far less exciting.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed you ment 1le as you quoted garagelogic who was talking about the 1le.:cheers:
See, this was a terrible naming convention. Now, when you state "1LE", people don't know if you're talking about a V6, SS or ZL1.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
DOHC V/8 mid engine corvette that's what I'm waiting for. The DOHC engine would never fit in the C7 front engine bay. So yes it will fit in the mid engine design. When that day comes it's good bye mustang. I've owned a lot of vettes and grew tired of the same long nose short deck design. The current NSX is a good choice when they hit the used car market. Great things are coming to those who wait. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
See, this was a terrible naming convention. Now, when you state "1LE", people don't know if you're talking about a V6, SS or ZL1.
Looks like Chevy is working to bust recognition of "1LE" down from not quite model-level to option-level only.

Shouldn't all the people involved with hanging "SS" tags on almost everything Bowtie be retired by now???

Norm

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Looks like Chevy is working to bust recognition of "1LE" down from not quite model-level to option-level only.

Shouldn't all the people involved with hanging "SS" tags on almost everything Bowtie be retired by now???

Norm
hasn't it always been just an option level package name? the package 1LE dedignation has been around for a long time in various cameros over the years.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Seems like a odd comparison.

I got the 350 because its special. Nothing is special about the C7Z or the ZL1.

I am Iffy on the looks and interior of the ZL1 and the C7Z is out of my price range. Actually about 60k was my mental limit.

A grand sport is interesting at the same price point of the GT350 but ive never seen a vette Interior I could stand. Though I think the current one is much better.

I will say the GT350 gets a little more attention then I care for(especially from non car people) so that needs to be considered

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
hasn't it always been just an option level package name? the package 1LE dedignation has been around for a long time in various cameros over the years.
An option, yes, but as far as I know it was never available on either the sixxer trims or the big-block cars (which I'm taking as yesteryear's version of today's cars with forced induction engines . . . for most purposes, actually).

The 5th Gen's 1LE had become readily identifiable as the corner-carver's choice specifically by that tag (the 1LE was in fact aimed at only 2% of Camaro buyers, per Scott Settlemire). Specifically not intended for drag racing.

I think they could have dusted off the "F41" tag that used to be Chevy's "Sport Suspension" option. Camaros used to have it, and I made sure that the '79 Malibu I bought new was equipped with that car's version of it. Doing that would have let the 1LE tag remain a little bit 'special'.

Norm

OP
OP

Codybby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6Z,GMC 2500HD
Wow, just checking in and see that my thread has been pretty active. I'm still trying to sell my C6Z at the moment but with all of these new announcements I'm overwhelmed with choice. What an exciting time to be a sports car fanatic!

The new ZL1-1LE looks extremely wicked, definitely the one I'd get if I go that route.

The GT350 is still a solid contender. I tend to agree with some of the other posts about uniqueness being a factor. For someone like me that's driving these vehicles at sane speeds most of the time, you're gonna want something else to keep your attention.

The 350 and Viper both have that quality in my opinion, the GT350 with it's engine and the Viper because well Viper haha. Unfortunately I can't see the Viper as a realistic option for me at the moment due to price.

And about the Hellcat, I dismissed it from the beginning due to size, Challengers are physically enormous. But that's not always a bad thing, actually it may be the best combination of power and comfort. I may revisit this option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Wow, just checking in and see that my thread has been pretty active. I'm still trying to sell my C6Z at the moment but with all of these new announcements I'm overwhelmed with choice. What an exciting time to be a sports car fanatic!

The new ZL1-1LE looks extremely wicked, definitely the one I'd get if I go that route.

The GT350 is still a solid contender. I tend to agree with some of the other posts about uniqueness being a factor. For someone like me that's driving these vehicles at sane speeds most of the time, you're gonna want else to keep your attention.

The 350 and Viper both have that quality in my opinion, the GT350 with it's engine and the Viper because well Viper haha. Unfortunately I can't see the Viper as a realistic option for me at the moment due to price.

And about the Hellcat, I dismissed it from the beginning due to size, Challengers are physically enormous. But that's not always a bad thing, actually it may be the best combination of power and comfort. I may revisit this option.

If you arent tracking the hellcat seems pretty solid.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Mopar sure has missed the boat by not having a new 'Cuda to compete with the Mustang and Camaro. All they do is throw power and bold new graphics at that old LX sedan chassis Challenger.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I think they're all pretty special. Corvettes are notorious but they are special cars too...

It really comes down to if you're a mustang or chevy or Vdub or whatever fan... the GT350 is world beating no doubt about it but you must love Mustangs and I mean ❤ them

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I.e. If you're just looking at a Gt350 because it is 'cheaper' than your usual choice of a German sports car you are making a big mistake.

The GT350 is the dream , for mustang fans ... just like Z06/Z07 and z/28 is for bow tie fans etc... the fact that it blows away the straight 6 TT from BMW is just icing on the cake...a target to beat and surpass. Rest assured while hey we're trying for some cross market 'pollination' they built this car for the fans first and foremost

Last edited:

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
To be fair the LX was due to be replaced earlier when the Giulia and that new platform was to be introduced. However FCA overshot and everything was pushed back (and they were planning to keep fielding small to medium cars but that's another post :D) ... and the LX cars kept alive with the new SC programs (hellcst and demon). We're only know seeing the heavily rumored and touted new gen Home gown FCA RWD car with the giulia... success in that market still remains to be soon tho

The plan at mopar is still to release the dodge Chrysler versions of the giulia (the new 'cuda cars) but now given the lack of news/leaks/camouflaged mules/current financial climate at FCA that still remains to be seen
Sponsored