2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Yes I own a 2016 tech pack
This is my first Ford
As far as transmission damage is concerned, you don't need to go in limp mode, 20 degrees outside of normal temp for transmission and fluid looses 50 percent of its life span and efficiency. Those who have the ability to monitor temp are seeing them at well over this range, more into I believe 40 degrees.
My dealer wasn't giving me a price similar to WBL for the transmission and cooler, trying to negotiate.
So my point is this isn't a track issue and anyone beating up Ford over this will get more traction from this angle than the track issue, maybe.
IMO - the only angle to take is the car overheating during regular spirited driving and the marketing speaking the opposite.

I believe I am the only successful person to go that route and have a full Buyback to date. I almost got into a serious accident shifting from the passing lane. Almost got rear ended by a large truck coming on hot when my car hit limp mode and had to cut off another car shifting into the right lane to avoid it.

My daughter was in the car at the time, she was 14 months old. That is when I knew the car had to go back.

Good luck with your negotiation.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
IMO - the only angle to take is the car overheating during regular spirited driving and the marketing speaking the opposite.

I believe I am the only successful person to go that route and have a full Buyback to date. I almost got into a serious accident shifting from the passing lane. Almost got rear ended by a large truck coming on hot when my car hit limp mode and had to cut off another car shifting into the right lane to avoid it.

My daughter was in the car at the time, she was 14 months old. That is when I knew the car had to go back.
That's a horror story..glad you & your daughter were physically uninjured [MENTION=22031]JN66[/MENTION]

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
That's a horror story..glad you & your daughter were physically uninjured @JN66
Thanks, I appreciate the message. We are too!

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Clearly a dangerous situation, it's horrible to think you can put yourself and family in harms way, when you think you are enjoying your great car and all is good.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Another issue is stop and go traffic. I was in the typical traffic jam that occurs in Cajon Pass in Southern California on the 15 freeway. Move 10 feet, stop. Over and over. My transmission got extremely hot. I could feel the heat coming through the tunnel. Unfortunately, this was before I got my temp gauge working so I really don't know how hot it got. It was uncomfortable in the seat though.

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Another issue is stop and go traffic. I was in the typical traffic jam that occurs in Cajon Pass in Southern California on the 15 freeway. Move 10 feet, stop. Over and over. My transmission got extremely hot. I could feel the heat coming through the tunnel. Unfortunately, this was before I got my temp gauge working so I really don't know how hot it got. It was uncomfortable in the seat though.
Strange that it got so hot in stop and go traffic...:shrug: Not sure how much a trans cooled would help this issue as it works as air moves through the fins of the small radiator. In stop and go traffic there is no air moving.

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
This is correct but fluid is circulating thru the radiator and the fluid will be exposed to a larger surface area for heat to dissipate although not as good when air is cooling the cooler but still providing for some heat exchange, certainly better then sitting between the exhaust system and no circulation.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Good luck with your negotiation.
And that right there is call for a recall, IMO.

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Indeed you would think a recall would be in order. However this incident was not in the US and outside the NHTSA, and clearly not self reported by Ford. Wonder if any has had a non track limp mode reported to the Highway Safety folks. The only thing that I am aware of was the delay in getting recall parts, that was reported to them in another forum. Some said there is a threshold of how many cars are affected before a recall is required, can't find that as a fact or number, also Ford can do a voluntary recall. 3417 techs made and a few hundred base. The 8000 affected by oil line was a voluntary recall but supposedly met the threshold. It has been suggested to Ford customer service and the leadership that they should consider recall but no responses!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That's why they put cooled seats in the Tech Pack....
Not a good situation in any case.

Sponsored

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
Now that's funny! Guess they need to add that to the owners manual, hot transmission turn on your butt cooler.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
That's why they put cooled seats in the Tech Pack....
Not a good situation in any case.
Oh they were on believe me. They did not cool enough to overcome the radiant heat coming from the tunnel. Neither was the AC.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
Isn't there a TSB for the seat coolers too? Something about the heat being vented into the area behind the seat?

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm going to reroute my seat A/C to the transmission.... no coolers needed! Problem solved.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Took the car out for a 4 hour round trip drive yesterday. Outside temps were about 60 degrees, but the transmission never got over 100 degrees. Mostly freeway miles, but it stayed very cool.
Sponsored