MGW RAISES THE BAR ONCE AGAIN....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Premium, Lightning Blue
George, I just PM'd you. I'm worried I might have received an incorrect linkage arm. It's Saturday so I wasn't able to call your office. Please help!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
George, I just PM'd you. I'm worried I might have received an incorrect linkage arm. It's Saturday so I wasn't able to call your office. Please help!
If he doesn't see this or your PM, you might want to post a pic and mention what about it makes you wonder. Someone who has installed the right part may be able to tell if you don't have it.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for reaching out! I was about to do just that, until I realized I wasn't thinking. All I had to do was adjust the shifter to engage the arm... :doh: I knew I should of had my coffee this morning.

At any rate, crisis averted! Great design and great instructional videos. Cant wait to get the car out and get a feel for this thing!

If he doesn't see this or your PM, you might want to post a pic and mention what about it makes you wonder. Someone who has installed the right part may be able to tell if you don't have it.

Jmart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I'm late to the party, but I just want to say...MGW is one heck of a company and the Race Spec is a fantastic product!

I got my shifter installed in about 2.5 hours going slow and with plenty of breaks to help the wife out with the kids. The videos were spot on and made the whole thing go smoothly.

Anyone on the fence with this product: just do it! For a bit of background, I'm coming from an S2000 - after only 2 months of owning my 2017 GT PP I felt I had to do something to address the sloppy shift feel. I picked up the MGW due to the many rave reviews. Then while waiting for the shifter to arrive I stumbled across a couple of youtube videos complaining about NVH and the push-down reverse. As such, I wasn't sure what to expect before my initial drive. I'm pleased to report that NVH is virtually nonexistent and the push down feel is great, no worries on either fronts!

And of course, the shifts are such a night and day difference. The car feels faster and less cumbersome, simply because the shifts are tighter and quicker. For me, this has added a great deal to the overall driving experience and I can say it's worth every penny.

And to top it off... I got a call from George on a Saturday evening to address my question - great service! :cheers:

Paired up the shifter with my old TWM Performance Big TypeR shift knob and new parking brake/shift boots from Redline Goods. It was a good day :headbang:

Reactions: MGW

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
George and his crew are awesome!

Reactions: MGW

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10681]MGW[/MENTION], I'm sure this is a no/long shot, but do you ever have any intention of releasing one of your shifters at stock throw/barely reduced throw? I don't really mind the stock throw at all and have driven the Tri-Ax (which is 25% reduction) and found it far too short and too high of effort for daily driving for my tastes. I know yours is 15% at the least, but I'm expecting even that to be a very noticeable increase in efforts.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
@MGW , I'm sure this is a no/long shot, but do you ever have any intention of releasing one of your shifters at stock throw/barely reduced throw? I don't really mind the stock throw at all and have driven the Tri-Ax (which is 25% reduction) and found it far too short and too high of effort for daily driving for my tastes. I know yours is 15% at the least, but I'm expecting even that to be a very noticeable increase in efforts.
FWIW, I think MGW said the longest flat stick option/upgrade will net near stock throws. I don't know how much higher the knob will be compared to stock.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
@MGW , I'm sure this is a no/long shot, but do you ever have any intention of releasing one of your shifters at stock throw/barely reduced throw? I don't really mind the stock throw at all and have driven the Tri-Ax (which is 25% reduction) and found it far too short and too high of effort for daily driving for my tastes. I know yours is 15% at the least, but I'm expecting even that to be a very noticeable increase in efforts.
I may be misunderstanding what you mean may be too high of effort for daily driving, but I can say that the only "effort" added is for the push down reverse lock out and the centering spring is slightly more stiff. However, both of those are better than stock in my opinion. It's nice not having that pull up collar under the shift ball and the centering springs make the 2-3 and 3-4 shift sooo much better. And for what it's worth, I can literally shift with two fingers, and that was before adding the BG SyncroShift II, which has made things even smoother.

Hope that helps...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I may be misunderstanding what you mean may be too high of effort for daily driving, but I can say that the only "effort" added is for the push down reverse lock out and the centering spring is slightly more stiff. However, both of those are better than stock in my opinion. It's nice not having that pull up collar under the shift ball and the centering springs make the 2-3 and 3-4 shift sooo much better. And for what it's worth, I can literally shift with two fingers, and that was before adding the BG SyncroShift II, which has made things even smoother.

Hope that helps...
That does help. When I drove a friend's car with the Tri-Ax, I had to put a pretty sizeable amount of force to get it into the gates, actually using my upper arms vs. my stock shifter + BG fluid where I can flick it with my wrist into gear. The need to "man-handle" the stick for daily driving would get old fast.

OP
OP

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
That does help. When I drove a friend's car with the Tri-Ax, I had to put a pretty sizeable amount of force to get it into the gates, actually using my upper arms vs. my stock shifter + BG fluid where I can flick it with my wrist into gear. The need to "man-handle" the stick for daily driving would get old fast.

if you get our standard handle and standard shifter or even better standard with flat stick i assure you that it will NOT be hard to shift.

and the flat stick brings the standard down to like 5-10 percent so its probably just what you want.

George

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
if you get our standard handle and standard shifter or even better standard with flat stick i assure you that it will NOT be hard to shift.

and the flat stick brings the standard down to like 5-10 percent so its probably just what you want.

George
Thanks George. I prefer the look of the standard handle to the flat stick, although I think the flat stick looks sweet too!

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
JUST CAME OUT!!!:cheers::cheers:
So I heard these (flat sticks) won't work with OEM style knobs? If I have your OEM knob adapter, will it work then or do I have to get an aftermarket knob (or one of you great looking gripper knobs)?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
whoa! i checked the website and didn't see em...i like em!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.