Sponsored

Dash cam for Track Days???

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Just curious if a dash cam would be ok for occasional track day use? You know, 2 birds with one stone deal....
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Yes and no. Dashcam mounts tend to optimize for being less noticeable instead of having the best view. You're basically stuck to mounting inside the windshield instead of views that might show you driving or mounting it on the exterior of the car for a side or lower view.

Dashcam quality tends to be hit or miss, but so are portable sport cameras. I'd say get your dashcam setup, run it for an event and then ask yourself if you would've liked to see something different. Getting a shot that includes the interior tends to give you more of a "fast" feeling from the video as you can see the car move relative to the track, this helps for debugging your driving as well. Also lower vantage points help as you see the track "race" faster passed.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Not to your original question but if you are going to also autocross I would suggest to pony up for a GoPro and mount. Reasons are good video quality, easy playback and mount where ever. It is very useful to help for the next run by spotting which cones you may have missed or where you could tuck in closer to a cone. Also helps you memorize the course after you sit out to work the track.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have a GoPro but I've had a hard time using it.

Some people can link it to their iPhone and overlay Harry's LapTimer on the video but I've had no luck.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I have a GoPro but I've had a hard time using it.

Some people can link it to their iPhone and overlay Harry's LapTimer on the video but I've had no luck.
It's work and not magic unfortunately. You have to download the video off the GoPro card and then put it back on your iPhone and sync them up.

OP
OP
84venom

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
I keep seeing that they record in loops. Are you able to record say a 20 minute video and watch it straight through???

nhgaudreau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Check out the Waylens. My buddy has one and loves it.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's work and not magic unfortunately. You have to download the video off the GoPro card and then put it back on your iPhone and sync them up.
Ah I thought it was the other way around. Thank you very much!

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Dash cams are ok, but they tend to record in 3 minute files and you have to merge them together and in can be a pain and jumpy.

Ah I thought it was the other way around. Thank you very much!
I find it a lot easier to export the session file from Harry's and merge it all together on my pc in Race Render.

To keep it simpler, try Track Addict app.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Very cool, just downloaded it. I will try it at my trackday next week

Dash cams are ok, but they tend to record in 3 minute files and you have to merge them together and in can be a pain and jumpy.

I find it a lot easier to export the session file from Harry's and merge it all together on my pc in Race Render.

To keep it simpler, try Track Addict app.
Sponsored