Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sooo.... for those looking for an update, dem half$hit are out! I forgot to take many pictures and continue installing the rest of my suspension. I did take a few and will post some here in a week or when I can get under the car again.

In the end of all this frustration, I ended up dropping the entire rear subframe. Loaded the subframe with the pumpkin and halfshaft still attached onto a truck and drove it to a local differential shop. Told him my story and he said that he doesn't even know if he can do it if I already tried all these other methods. His last resort tool...... a BFH and a BFPunch. The punch was pretty much a big metal stick about 3/4" diameter and about 1/2" at the end. Whacked it 2-3 times and out the halfshafts goes.

Anyways, I will post some pictures later and show the final install.
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sooo.... for those looking for an update, dem half$hit are out! I forgot to take many pictures and continue installing the rest of my suspension. I did take a few and will post some here in a week or when I can get under the car again.

In the end of all this frustration, I ended up dropping the entire rear subframe. Loaded the subframe with the pumpkin and halfshaft still attached onto a truck and drove it to a local differential shop. Told him my story and he said that he doesn't even know if he can do it if I already tried all these other methods. His last resort tool...... a BFH and a BFPunch. The punch was pretty much a big metal stick about 3/4" diameter and about 1/2" at the end. Whacked it 2-3 times and out the halfshafts goes.

Anyways, I will post some pictures later and show the final install.
I'm glad you got them out but you did way too much work taking everything out like I stated before a big punch and a hammer was all you needed at least this proved my point. :thumbsup:

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I had the same problem removing a half shaft as you did. What finally did it was buying a large fork and hammering it between the case and the half shaft. The seal was toast.

After disassembly I inspected the snap ring and it had indeed not collapsed into the snap ring groove. The snap ring had spline grooves forged into it from disassembly.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Alright everyone, finally go the halfshafts in and installed. Completed most of my upgrades today also.

What did it was stated in post #46 above.

Pics of the final install:

BIG THANK YOU to everyone on here who chimed in. In the end, I am pretty happy that its finally in :headbang:.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Alright everyone, finally go the halfshafts in and installed. Completed most of my upgrades today also.

What did it was stated in post #46 above.

Pics of the final install:

BIG THANK YOU to everyone on here who chimed in. In the end, I am pretty happy that its finally in :headbang:.
I did mine yesterday. I noticed with the suspension unloaded the boots hit the shocks like in your photo. I haven't checked when loaded yet.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did mine yesterday. I noticed with the suspension unloaded the boots hit the shocks like in your photo. I haven't checked when loaded yet.
Nice!

My suspension was also unloaded when I installed mines. I hung the halfshaft onto the upper arm as that was still preloaded. The bushings were just stretching as the halfshaft hung from it. I was going to change the arms anyways so I didn't mind the bushings getting messed up or anything.

The boot is really close to the shock right now and loaded, but I guess that is normal?
Sponsored