Sponsored

McLeod RST and Supercharger

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't get this concept that an organic (RST) clutch will not handle drag racing. This stands against what other well-respected people (drag racer types) say with regard to the MT-82 transmission who use McLeod clutches and just doesn't make sense yet, to me. Is a clutch REALLY getting that hot in a brief 1/4 mile run, typically followed by ages upon ages of waiting (cooling) until you can go again? I mean, I get that brief full power romp + the prior burnout isn't treating the driveline to a nice massage, but... what are the temp increases, here? I would be more worried about clutch heat on a road course by a longshot than a drag strip.
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
ya but if i can daily drive my 590whp mustang and occasionally visit the track on stock clutch and have no issues i would have to imagine the RST would be miles better.

Now i can see if someone is maybe doing aggressive launches on a weekly basis or really abusing the car that needing more clutch would be beneficial.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yeah... I just don't get where this RST can't do drag racing thing comes from... maybe I'm missing something. I mean call McLeod themselves, ask them. I have, the recommended the RST to me. I don't drag race but I asked about it and they said it'd be perfectly fine, even if I get boost. Different strokes...

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Yeah... I just don't get where this RST can't do drag racing thing comes from... maybe I'm missing something. I mean call McLeod themselves, ask them. I have, the recommended the RST to me. I don't drag race but I asked about it and they said it'd be perfectly fine, even if I get boost. Different strokes...
RST is the one to get. The guy in the PANDA s550 is making over 800whp and races a lot with an rst. Ben calimer has the rst. Both drag a lot.
The rst was also recommended to me by McLeod. They just said don't do a lot of passes one after another due to heat.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Our recommendations come from our experience. Of course opinions will vary but I can say with confidence that no one else on this forum has the amount of experience with Mcleods clutches than us. :headbang:

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ben Calimer rebuilds transmissions so if he is recommending the RST, he is not necessarily recommending the absolute strongest clutch but one that is more likely to keep the transmission alive. The flip side of the RST would be one that is ceramic with springs. Higher heat tolerance but with some shock absorption.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
But can you bang gears and do street launches with the RST? I never drag race and likely never will and am whipple stage 2
Sponsored