Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
Just curious on the do it yourselfer alignments. I string my cars using "smart strings" and "smart camber" gauges. What methods do you guys use?
Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I never messed around with a road car. They went to the alignment shop. As for all the other stuff around here like mowers, golf cars and tractors I use a string and tie it off on jack stands. Thanks for the link to Smart Strings.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Toe plates and Longacre digital caster camber gauge

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Been doing my own alignments for about 35 years using various ways of measuring camber. Still use parallel strings stretched between jackstands for toe, though. I determine caster from two camber measurements and the 'steer angle' at the wheels.

I'm now using a digital angle finder with the leg extended to suit today's larger wheel diameters.

picture.jpg

Way back in the beginning, I used this ↓↓↓ and calculated the angle using trig functions on a calculator.

picture.jpg

Somewhere along the line I built my own camber gauge. With an .001" dial indicator it can get better than 0.1° resolution, so it beats the digital gauge in that respect, but it is more cumbersome to use. Picking a convenient length between the pivot and the dial indicator means I multiply the dial reading by 5 to get camber in degrees.

picture.jpg

I've never had any bad results using any of these measurement methods as long as I take my time and double-check everything at least twice. Caster measurement isn't as good as camber or toe, but it seems to have been close enough.

Norm

Last edited:

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I grab a cheap/free pair of mounted tires/wheels from a junkyard or Craig's or where ever. Throw em on and drive around a few days. Check which way they are wearing then make an adjustment. Drive a few more days then make an adjustment. Probably not the most scientific way but hey, it works

Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I made a Smart String-like contraption for my race car, along with a Longacre bubble camber gauge.

For my street cars, I get the lifetime assignment at Firestone.

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
String method for toe and I use the Cambermeas App for camber and caster. The app is actually incredibly accurate and easy to use.

-Nick

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I use the level and scale to measure the camber per the picture up above and just calculate the angle. I don't use the string as much any more. I have 2 24" levels that I have plugs attached to the side so the level can go up against the rim. the level sits on 2 upright 2x4 blocks per wheel. With the level up against the rim I then rest something heavy against the level to hold it tight to the rim. Then run a tape measure across to the other level. It just works a little quicker for me as I make an adjustment lower the car back it out then drive back to the stall to measure again. I really wish I had a good shop I trust around me but I do all my cars myself anymore.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
This thread reminds me of the old school vs new school debate in almost everything.
My wife got glasses at lenscrafters at the mall, and they used this digital, multi camera, laser vectoring computer to size her lenses and frames. 6 months later went to a local old school vision shop, the guy used a slide rule and got a dead on fit in 30 seconds.
Which is better?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
This thread reminds me of the old school vs new school debate in almost everything.
My wife got glasses at lenscrafters at the mall, and they used this digital, multi camera, laser vectoring computer to size her lenses and frames. 6 months later went to a local old school vision shop, the guy used a slide rule and got a dead on fit in 30 seconds.
Which is better?
Strings. You can't go wrong. The only advantage to laser is set up time.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I just like to see for real the dimensions and not just trust all the data from some complex measuring device. I am a mechanical engineer and am just so frustrated sometimes dealing with quality engineering that has a bunch of data from a automated laser measurement machine and by eye you can sometimes see its not right. But they will live by the data.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ No matter how good/precise any $$$$$ measuring system can inherently be, the results you get from it cannot be any better than the accuracy of its human-performed setup. Which can be subject to the alignment tech taking shortcuts trying to beat the flat rate for your job, particularly for those "lifetime alignment" arrangements.

Norm

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I also think because these machines are sophisticated, operators don't feel the need to be careful. I have a local shop with a Hunter machine. I grew up with the owner and he is particular. I really didn't have the time to do the strings so I gave him a shot again. The machine is about 15 years old. I ask how often does it need to be calibrated. He said that is the neat thing. It never does. It just self calibrates. He puts the wheel hubs on and they don't sit perfectly square. He said it doesn't need to. Just roll the car back a foot then front again and the mirrors collect all the data. I figured "ok". I got home and Wife not happy with handling. I get the strings and camber levels out. Thrust angle WAY off and the camber of 3 wheels out of spec. In 1 month until I got to fixing the rear tires showed substantial wear. The print out had everything within spec. The camber was a little more then a full degree more then my actual measurements. So never again to that place.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I use the Tenhulsen guages. But they are only good on the front wheels. (Though you can do camber on the rears).

<TED>
Sponsored