Sponsored

Anyone Install XPEL Themselves on a GT350?

blownstang01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt350, Lightning Blue
How difficult is XPEL to install ? I am very familiar with body and paint work as that's what I have done as a profession. My closest factory trained dealer is over 100 miles away. I am thinking of doing the rear quarter impact area and the hood and fender kit XPEL sells. Pretty pricey stuff to screw it up. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it. Also, how bad are the "edge lines" noticeable on the finished product.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I did once on a yellow car outside in the sun.. with bugs landing on it.

If you have a controlled environment that is bug and dust free id go for it. The edges are barely noticeable more then worth the protection

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you have vinyl wrapping experience, then it will be fine. I hear people clay bar the surface a little before applying the XPEL. I would clay bar a little and make sure to stretch the stuff. Apply lots of applicator fluid (I think soapy water - like lots of water and little soap may work). XPEL is not as forgiving and can get difficult, but like firestarter2 mentioned, working in a controlled environment helps a lot.

I was going to do my own, but found it to be the same price to have an authorized installer do it. It was going to be the same price to purchase the material anyways. For you, 100 miles will justify doing it yourself. Allow full curing and gets lots of sun too.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Xpel is expensive material to waste and a pain to install, especially perfectly. I would have a pro do it for sure because even the littlest amount of dirt or crease in the film would drive me crazy and if you haven't wrapped things before it will happen. A pro will also tuck all of the edges so they wont be seen or noticeable.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I had XPEL installed on my Magnetic when it was new. I think it was the second day I had the car. I chose the kit that covered about 1/3 to 1/2 way back the hood. That was a mistake, on the darker colors, you can see the lines. People would ask me what that scratch was across my hood. It's very easy for the edge of the material to collect dust. Plus after a while, the front bumper had collected a couple rock chips. I was going to get it fixed under warranty but I broke the clip one time taking my bumper off. When I replaced the bumper, I took the XPEL off the hood and fenders and decided to go without. If I did it again, I would only do it if the entire panel was covered. Like the hood and fenders.

tza888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ruby Red GT
I have been considering doing some sort of PPF myself as well. I would do the entire hood and front bumper.

Anyone know a good place to buy this? I have quite a bit of vinyl wrapping experience so i am not so worried on that front.
Sponsored