Sponsored

How to align (center) your steering wheel

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I've seen threads where folks have either listed that their steering wheels are off center as received when car was new OR the steering wheel is off center after a proper wheel alignment.

I came across the linked thread in my searches which gives a very detailed approach at how one can align (center) their steering wheel very easily at home, without disrupting the front alignment specs. The OP (nukezero) of the linked thread recommends that an owner first get an all wheel alignment for the vehicle before attempting to fix an off center steering wheel.

I take no credit for the thread, just passing it along as it is had the most detailed tech relating to the subject matter and should help others with successfully centering their steering wheel.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749585
Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I've actual done this before to straighten my steering wheel using the same logic that if I change both sides the same amount then I shouldn't upset the total toe.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
you could also point the car straight (so steering wheel is off but wheels are straight), push in the 2 airbag retaining springs, pull the air bag up and set it on the column, use a 24mm socket to unbolt the steering wheel, realign it, tighten it back down, then push the airbag back on. If you don't unhook the negative terminal it honks the horn when pushing the airbag back on and scares the lady walking her dog who's been staring at you and your large 1/2 torque wrench for the past 5 min. Mind yo business lady...

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
you could also point the car straight (so steering wheel is off but wheels are straight), push in the 2 airbag retaining springs, pull the air bag up and set it on the column, use a 24mm socket to unbolt the steering wheel, realign it, tighten it back down, then push the airbag back on. If you don't unhook the negative terminal it honks the horn when pushing the airbag back on and scares the lady walking her dog who's been staring at you and your large 1/2 torque wrench for the past 5 min. Mind yo business lady...
I don't think this will work on our Mustangs.... The end of the steering column that the steering wheel mounts on is not splined like most other cars..... It is a hexagon shape, so the least that the steering wheel could be moved is 60 degrees. No fine tuning here!
Sponsored