Sponsored

Proposed Solo Class STP(ony)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What about running 18x11 vs the 19x10.5/11? Is it worth having the rival s tire in a 315 vs the re71r in a 305? Or would the tire compound and size a moot point?
I have no idea what the difference in performance between the two would be but I am considering the 315/30/18 Rival S as well. I'm hoping contingency programs and more news about other potential tires comes out soon. I haven't made any moves on wheels or tires yet.

Hankook may have their new RS-4 in 295/40/18, which would be a 27" tall tire.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
National Solo contingency programs are out and while both BFG and Bridgestone have programs, they do not list STP as an eligible class. Only Kumho and Falken support the class.

That's disappointing and has me seriously considering focusing on CAMC with my car instead of an ST type setup. That class is supported by those tire manufacturers.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
i know you're not on facespace, so didn't see my intentions for 2017 and beyond. i'm selling all my hoosiers and going all-in with CAM. got fed up with rear alignment in ESP prep (not to mention non-existent west coast participation). join the fun, you'll like it here :)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
i know you're not on facespace, so didn't see my intentions for 2017 and beyond. i'm selling all my hoosiers and going all-in with CAM. got fed up with rear alignment in ESP prep (not to mention non-existent west coast participation). join the fun, you'll like it here :)
Our IRS and the easy things to do to make it a whole lot better is another reason I am looking at CAM. I was contemplating asking for more allowances for STP: like spherical control arm bushings, metallic subframe bushing lockout kits, etc but, IDK, that's a pretty good stretch for the STAC to consider.

Oh boy, all in with CAM you say. Lordy :cheers:

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Anyone still building an STP build? I have been having fun this year building mine. Currently I think I need a higher speed in second gear. I'm debating on the 3.31 vs 3.55 (currently at 3.73) would the drivability be worse on the Bridgestones (305s) with the 3.31? I like the instant response with the 3.73 rear gears and I'm afraid the 3.31 would be a big change.

Sponsored

Chetly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Z06
I know Chris Cox won his STP National Championship on 3.55's. From what I remember him saying, gearing is about perfect with the 3.55's. I don't think he ever contemplated trying the 3.31's.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
only serious national S550 STP builds i've heard of are don slevin (northeast) and scott steider (texas). robert stanley is building one in colorado, but i have no idea if it's a serious attempt (i believe he just put it together within the past month or so).

fwiw, the 3.73s are not ideal, both in terms of power application as well as 2nd gear speed - i've run 3.55s when i swapped my OSG diff in a few years back, and with a rev bump, it gets me the 2nd gear speed i want, without sacrificing what little torque i have way down low.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
only serious national S550 STP builds i've heard of are don slevin (northeast) and scott steider (texas). robert stanley is building one in colorado, but i have no idea if it's a serious attempt (i believe he just put it together within the past month or so).

fwiw, the 3.73s are not ideal, both in terms of power application as well as 2nd gear speed - i've run 3.55s when i swapped my OSG diff in a few years back, and with a rev bump, it gets me the 2nd gear speed i want, without sacrificing what little torque i have way down low.
I can answer some of that robert stanley right now is not full STP prep as he doesn't have coilovers unless that changed since the last event which was on the 2nd. He has just been running camc locally

Steid6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
Scott Steider here.
My car is not very serious as it sits either. Good shocks and spring rates along with the tires is as far as I have got. No serious hp or weight reduction mods.

I am driving the car a lot so not willing to go to crazy on the build. But that being said the car is a lot of fun and fast as is.

If STP is going to make it we need a lot more people coming out with even average builds. It doesn't take a lot to have a competitive car right now. So if you are sitting on the fence, come out with what you have and help bring up the numbers.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Scott Steider here.
My car is not very serious as it sits either. Good shocks and spring rates along with the tires is as far as I have got. No serious hp or weight reduction mods.

I am driving the car a lot so not willing to go to crazy on the build. But that being said the car is a lot of fun and fast as is.

If STP is going to make it we need a lot more people coming out with even average builds. It doesn't take a lot to have a competitive car right now. So if you are sitting on the fence, come out with what you have and help bring up the numbers.
Scott what shocks did you go with?

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I'm switching to STP for the '18 season. Initially running KWv3s with the KW springs (unknown rates), MM CC plates. Intend to do a modified PP1 and add some serious rubber (currently on stock PP wheels with MPSS). This is not a nationals build. Just tired of the FS limitations.
Sponsored