Sponsored

Part Throttle Knock

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I took a few logs today. Theyre pretty long, but I wanted to make sure I got some good data. Log 3 starts out in traffic with lots of on/off throttle. Once traffic clears up theres a few miles of interstate cruising with some heavier throttle passing cars here and there. I also made a WOT pull through gears 1-3. I was spinning a lot but tried to keep my foot in it. Log 4 is more crusing and regular driving with another pull toward the end. Log 5 is some stoplight to stoplight driving with light to moderate accelerating.

What I noticed is of course is the knock at throttle tip-in after a shift. Pretty inconsistent but it's there a good bit. I'm also seeing the car go pretty rich under certain circumstances when I toss the car into neutral and coast. This, too is pretty inconsistent. Is this something the tune is commanding on purpose to cool the cat converters or something? Seems unnecessary to me but I don't know if its supposed to be happening. My understanding is that under these conditions the car is in open loop, but as soon as it goes back into closed loop the STFT brings fueling back to Lambda pretty quickly. Just weird that it spikes rich for a few seconds in the transient period.

I welcome input on these logs, and appreciate you guys looking them over for me.
Post it on datazap
Please
Sponsored

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I took a few logs today. Theyre pretty long, but I wanted to make sure I got some good data. Log 3 starts out in traffic with lots of on/off throttle. Once traffic clears up theres a few miles of interstate cruising with some heavier throttle passing cars here and there. I also made a WOT pull through gears 1-3. I was spinning a lot but tried to keep my foot in it. Log 4 is more crusing and regular driving with another pull toward the end. Log 5 is some stoplight to stoplight driving with light to moderate accelerating.

What I noticed is of course is the knock at throttle tip-in after a shift. Pretty inconsistent but it's there a good bit. I'm also seeing the car go pretty rich under certain circumstances when I toss the car into neutral and coast. This, too is pretty inconsistent. Is this something the tune is commanding on purpose to cool the cat converters or something? Seems unnecessary to me but I don't know if its supposed to be happening. My understanding is that under these conditions the car is in open loop, but as soon as it goes back into closed loop the STFT brings fueling back to Lambda pretty quickly. Just weird that it spikes rich for a few seconds in the transient period.

I welcome input on these logs, and appreciate you guys looking them over for me.
https://datazap.me/u/stevnoof121/manbearpig

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t see the logs but are you getting knock in the following scenarios:
Put it in third gear drive steadily up to 4000 rpm then floor it all the way to 7000 rpm.
Vs
do the same from 2000rpm

I was seeing false knock in the first scenario but not the second as the reactions at high rpm flooring it right in the middle of the powerband were more violent. My tuner solved this by adjusting the knock gain very slightly

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Definitely looks to be false.. I see 2 degrees at full throttle at ONE point in the log, but it's not consistent. If you were spinning pretty hard, that can cause excessive vibration which leads to knock. When you got traction (when shifting into 3rd, log 003) and went WOT again, there's no knock.

I wouldn't worry too much, but as I said before you should check over the exhaust, trans mounts, Motor mounts make sure everything is tight and not rattling or vibrating excessively. Also make sure their is plenty of clearance between the piping and under body and trans mount of the car.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I looked them over and just noticed the knock at WOT as well toward the end of log 3. It started out adding timing but started knocking at 6700 Rpm and was pulling 2.5* until I let off at 7300 RPM. I was spinning pretty significantly here. I just can't see how the knock would be false...I have the factory shorty headers with cat deletes and an aftermarket catback. All the exhaust has tons of room and is nowhere even remotely close to anything. I guess I need to get a can of torco and see if it fixes things. What puzzles me do much is that this has started out of nowhere. I mean I did reflash the stock tune and then when I flashed back to my Lund tune it's been knocking ever since. No new mods, no new changes to the car.

Sponsored

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I looked them over and just noticed the knock at WOT as well toward the end of log 3. It started out adding timing but started knocking at 6700 Rpm and was pulling 2.5* until I let off at 7300 RPM. I was spinning pretty significantly here. I just can't see how the knock would be false...I have the factory shorty headers with cat deletes and an aftermarket catback. All the exhaust has tons of room and is nowhere even remotely close to anything. I guess I need to get a can of torco and see if it fixes things. What puzzles me do much is that this has started out of nowhere. I mean I did reflash the stock tune and then when I flashed back to my Lund tune it's been knocking ever since. No new mods, no new changes to the car.
The spinning can definitely be a factor. Do a 3rd gear pull, start off around 3k ish and full throttle until you hit redline. Post that here, make sure the road is good and not bumpy so you don't spin.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Are you boosted?

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Nope...I'm NA.

Just finished taking a spin after swapping the factory catback on to elimate any possibility of false knock. Still exactly the same. To further prove this to myself I'm going to pick up some vp octanium tomorrow and I'm willing to bet the knock goes away. At this point it pretty much had to be crap gas.

Right?

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Today for the first time my car didn't register any knock while driving home about 30mins. During my morning commute it had the usual knock all the time in 1st and 2nd. Maybe it finally learned properly? Hope it wasn't just a fluke. Getting headers installed tomorrow.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Remember I told you? Let the ECU re-learn your driving style and fuel trim properly after installing / reinstalling a tune.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The PCM should only take about 15 miles to learn fuel trims after having KAM reset. I've got over 200 miles and am still seeing blips of positive knock.

I did fill up this morning and the knock seemed less prominent afterward. I'll know more on the drive home this afternoon but I'm thinking this knock is real and is based on fuel quality.

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Yea I have had this tune for weeks lol it just randomly stopped hope it stays like this.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
It's not random. It takes at least 30-60 miles after a tune flash for the ECU to relearn. Maybe more. Depends on many parameters, such as your driving style and whether you drive in the city or on the highway. Also, what matters is not knock during daily driving, but at full throttle. I am sure your car will stay that way unless you reflash a tune or disconnect the battery. Even the stock tune needs to adjust after you disconnect the battery, whether it is a V8 or l4.

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I have driven 1000s of miles. And it was a fluke I just drove around dropped my car off for header install lots of knock sensor activity. Anyway I'll stop taking over op thread.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have driven 1000s of miles. And it was a fluke I just drove around dropped my car off for header install lots of knock sensor activity. Anyway I'll stop taking over op thread.
I may have missed this previously....when are you seeing knock in the first 2-3 gears and how much? Is it just at throttle tip-in or is it all over the place? Does your knock blip briefly and go away or does it stay positive until you let out? Also curious who your tuner is and if they've ever reviewed a log showing the knock?
Sponsored