Sponsored

Seriously fed up with Ford

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Aside from my wiper washer hose coming loose I haven't had any problems until a few days ago I noticed the AC isn't keeping up during hot weather. I see it's a common thing.

If you have the GT performance pack brakes just drive really fast a few times and stomp the brakes. That quiets mine down. They really only squeak on cool mornings for the most part.
Sponsored

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Before I bought my current 2015 RAM, all my previous trucks were F150s. The older ones were great, but my 2010 was junk. My wife's 2014 explorer was junk also. She only kept it for two years then bought a new Toyota 4Runner.

My RAM has been flawless and has a great interior. I also had a 2014 Chrysler 300S. It too was trouble free and the quality of the materials was great. FCA has come a long way.

I really want a Mustang, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my last couple of Fords. Was hoping they improved stuff.

The Challengers are really nice, but outclassed by the Camaro and Mustang (not counting the hellcat).

:-/

Still getting a Mustang... If it was going to be a daily driver, I may worry about reliability, but I'll only be driving it on weekends and nice, sunny days.

WOOT! ;-)
Don't worry about the drivetrain reliability. 33,xxx miles of daily spirited driving and not a single hiccup. Funny, my wife's 2017 Explorer Sport is the most enjoyable SUV I've ever driven, while I'm trying to pawn off our old, yet super reliable 2005 4Runner. I just can't get the dang thing to break down, which is probably why the 4Runner has had the same v6 and 5 speed combo since 2002.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Don't worry about the drivetrain reliability. 33,xxx miles of daily spirited driving and not a single hiccup. Funny, my wife's 2017 Explorer Sport is the most enjoyable SUV I've ever driven, while I'm trying to pawn off our old, yet super reliable 2005 4Runner. I just can't get the dang thing to break down, which is probably why the 4Runner has had the same v6 and 5 speed combo since 2002.
My brother (a gringo) lives in South America and has a 94 4Runner with something like 250k miles on it. It has the same engine as the toyota helix truck they couldn't destroy on top gear. Very entertaining episode.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
Agree about the drivetrain. I had a 2002 Mustang GT that ran for 100k miles with zero drivetrain issues. The rest of it was a mess though... lol Rattles, scratched and discolored leather, plastic bumper cover fasteners coming off, radio died, etc.

My wife's Exploder only had 20k miles on it when she traded it and it had plastic panels coming off around the windows, loose trim pieces and a very annoying thumping from somewhere under the car. I spent hours under there looking for the cause as did several dealerships. Never did locate it.

None of that matters when you mash the throttle on a Mustang though. lol!!:ford:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Agree about the drivetrain. I had a 2002 Mustang GT that ran for 100k miles with zero drivetrain issues. The rest of it was a mess though... lol Rattles, scratched and discolored leather, plastic bumper cover fasteners coming off, radio died, etc.

My wife's Exploder only had 20k miles on it when she traded it and it had plastic panels coming off around the windows, loose trim pieces and a very annoying thumping from somewhere under the car. I spent hours under there looking for the cause as did several dealerships. Never did locate it.

None of that matters when you mash the throttle on a Mustang though. lol!!:ford:
100K is nothing now days. Not like 30 years ago when you really didn't expect cars to get much past that. I expect most of my cars to make 200K with no major powertrain problem and still function pretty much per design. That's just normal now.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I feel like the problems with this car are multiplying...
Sell it and buy something else. Then you can complain about that car on another forum.

After owning three trouble-free S197 GT's you guys are making it really hard for me to buy a S550.
This is one of the whiniest forums I've ever encountered, and I think people actively look for things to bitch about. Do not be afraid. In my experience of owning 4 different S197 cars ('09, '11, '13 and '14 GT500) and 2 S550 cars ('15 GTPP and '17 GT350), the S550 is a fantastic car, head and shoulders above the S197. Features, handling, driving feel, etc... A night and day difference. My '15 GTPP was a fantastic car that never let me down, and the '17 GT350 is cut from the same cloth.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13144]moarhorsepower[/MENTION] I’m in the same boat with a 30mi commute. Based on all the posts here, I can live with most of the Mustangs setbacks except the AC. I’m in AZ and I can’t afford for that to take a dump.

I recently went to Ford dealer for service. I had to schedule my service more than 2weeks out to secure a loaner. If the AC goes out in the middle of summer and I can’t get a loaner for 2weeks, that Ford rep will not want to be talking to me.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
In Vegas here and zero AC problems as of yet.
I must have gotten one of the good ones because I have had no issues with the car.
Panel gaps are fine, it doesn't wheel hop, the brakes don't make any crazy noises, the AC blows cold, etc...

The only problem I have had with the car is the crappy lug nuts that came with it don't like repeated wheel changes. That was easily fixed with some extended wheel studs and new lug nuts.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
Sell it and buy something else. Then you can complain about that car on another forum.

This is one of the whiniest forums I've ever encountered, and I think people actively look for things to bitch about. Do not be afraid. In my experience of owning 4 different S197 cars ('09, '11, '13 and '14 GT500) and 2 S550 cars ('15 GTPP and '17 GT350), the S550 is a fantastic car, head and shoulders above the S197. Features, handling, driving feel, etc... A night and day difference. My '15 GTPP was a fantastic car that never let me down, and the '17 GT350 is cut from the same cloth.
I disagree regarding people finding things to bitch about. If someone pays upwards of 30k or 40k or any vehicle,they expect not to have any issues, much less a serious,on-going A/C issue,or any issue for that matter. Ford has a new supplier but maybe the word has not reached all dealers,or as mentiond here,refusing to address the issue and only put a band-aid on it until the warranty expires. Even if I spent ONLY 15k on a new car,I expect it not to have any issues.
Maybe YOU should find a vehicle forum where owners don't complain about their cars. When you do,let us all know about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
moarhorsepower;2024984 The brake squeal has been an issue since early on. Multiple dealerships have looked at the issue said:
Rotors/wheels are torqued down (checked a couple times). Looks like I'm on the hook for pads anyhow so I'll look into them. How do the pads feel? Initial bite in comparison?

About the brakes, did you bed them in? As in did you beat on them like they owed you money for the first 100 miles? I didn't think so either...

I did bed them in. Multiple hard stops as per the Brembo steps. Stops for a little bit and comes right back.

Care to elaborate?
Clunking issues in the suspension (front and rear), probably needs another alignment as it gets a little squirrely in corners at times. Exhaust just developed another leak (second time now). Nothing major and like I said, all aftermarket part related.

Sponsored
OP
OP

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Honestly I expect a bit better service and quality when we're paying $40k+ for a car. I don't think that's unrealistic. I never argued that the car isn't great to drive (it is), but terrible service and multiple unresolved issues isn't acceptable.

OP
OP

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=13144]moarhorsepower[/MENTION] I’m in the same boat with a 30mi commute. Based on all the posts here, I can live with most of the Mustangs setbacks except the AC. I’m in AZ and I can’t afford for that to take a dump.

I recently went to Ford dealer for service. I had to schedule my service more than 2weeks out to secure a loaner. If the AC goes out in the middle of summer and I can’t get a loaner for 2weeks, that Ford rep will not want to be talking to me.
My boss had the same issue with Lincoln. 2 weeks minimum. During the summer. And then when the AC wasn't working again a week later, they said it be another 2 weeks to get a loaner and get the car looked at again. I thought he was going to firebomb the dealership he was so pissed off.

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82

Lol... should have knocked on wood, but the Explorer’s ABS module is now acting defective for the 2nd time in under a year. Looking into Lemon Law, what a morning :tsk:

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Here's the thing about Mustang problems as far as I'm concerned: do they prevent me from enjoying my car and using it the way I had planned when I bought it?

In my case at this point it's about half and half. I love everything about how the car looks, drives, handles, etc., but I've had well documented AC issues (I'm about to be on my FOURTH evap core) and I just rolled over 10,000 miles last week on a well maintained garage-kept car and less than 2 year old car. That's an issue that is worth talking about, and it's an issue worth warning others about.

I had never owned a Ford before and never respected the brand, but the S550 looked and drove so great I took a chance. If I had known I'd have had all these problems, I don't know if I can honestly say I would have gone down this path.

I had planned to keep this car the rest of my life, and still will if they can figure out how air conditioning works (it's a new technology, so there are bound to be bugs) and make an evap core that doesn't leak refrigerant into my cabin.

The whole point of a forum like this is to educate each other on our cars, the experience we've had, the good things, the problems, etc.

Am I frustrated that I have had a less than pleasant experience with the evap core? Sure I am. And I want others to know what the risk is with owning this car. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it to own this car. But I wish I had been able to identify this issue as a known and unsolvable issue before I bought it so I could have weighed that against the pluses ahead of time.

:cheers:

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Whatever the issues are with our Mustang, is the dealer can be the weakest link or the strongest link in this process. Dealers can either be helpful in solving the problem or incompetent and making our life frustrated.
Sponsored