Sponsored

Creaking sound (video attached)

Gtracing26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I’ve had my 2016 mustang gt for almost 2 years now. The car has approximately 22,000 miles. It is kept under a carport with a custom fit cover on it every night. I had some minor dings hammered out at a body shop back in August. After getting the car back I noticed that the body shop stretched two peices of weather stripping causing it to come a little loose. Other than that the car sounded and drove perfect. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a creaking sound coming from what sounds like the trunk or rear quarter panels whenever I am backing or driving foward out of a driveway at home or the gas station, etc. When driving over bumps or dips in the road the creaking sound cannont be heard. Its only when Im exiting an incline onto flat pathement. Below I attached a link of the video of me backing out of the driveway and towards the end of the video the sound can be clearly heard. Any ideas on what this might be?

Link:
Sponsored

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Wow, I have a 2016 same exact noise at the same exact times!!! (slowly moving on inclines)

I've spent last weekend chasing it down in the suspension to no luck. Retightened all cradle bolt, re-lubed vert links, re-lubed and retightened the sway bars and end links. I even re-installed the OEM shock mount in case it was the Steeda mount. Noise is still there. At least you can cross these off the list.

After researching more I checked if my wheel hub bearing was torqued at 125 ft lbs and it was. My next step is to loosen and retighten the hub bearing just in case it makes a difference.

I too thought it was gasket sounding but the way it is only at low speed inclines I'm looking more at suspension/drivetrain.

Either way, mine is exactly the same so please let me know if you find anything.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I used to have that sound as well. I tightened my spindle nut and it went away.

OP
OP

Gtracing26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for the info SidewaysMike, Im going to take my mustang in for an oil change and tire rotation in two weeks. Im going to ask the mechanics at Coggin Ford if they can try to diagnosis the problem. I doubt they will help, they usually just say things like “the car is suppose to sound like that”. But if I figure out whats wrong Ill let you know forsure. If you end up fixing the issue with yours soon please let me know what it is!

Smann- which spindle nut did you tighten? Also I have to say I went to your instagram and your mustang sounds like a beast. Is that strictly from the catback exhaust or are you running a supercharger with it as well?

Thanks for the feedback!

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks for the info SidewaysMike, Im going to take my mustang in for an oil change and tire rotation in two weeks. Im going to ask the mechanics at Coggin Ford if they can try to diagnosis the problem. I doubt they will help, they usually just say things like “the car is suppose to sound like that”. But if I figure out whats wrong Ill let you know forsure. If you end up fixing the issue with yours soon please let me know what it is!

Smann- which spindle nut did you tighten? Also I have to say I went to your instagram and your mustang sounds like a beast. Is that strictly from the catback exhaust or are you running a supercharger with it as well?

Thanks for the feedback!
My cars supercharged as well but the videos on my insta are prior to the supercharger! And it's a catback.. And its CRAZY loud. I set off car alarms when i rev lolll but I love it. Nothing but compliments on it!

I'm taking my tires off tomorrow, I'll show ya what to tighten.

Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
I am having a similar problem on my stang as well...but it is more constant. Just ordered Steeda Rear shock mounts because I thought something was screwed up with the mounts...well even if they are ok...should be a nice upgrade...interested into hearing what is going on

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I did try to tighten the spindle nuts with my torque wrench set all the way up to 150 ft/lbs but it clicked right away...

My thinking now is to loosen and retighten, maybe that will make a difference???

I'll let you all know after the weekend.

PS Steeda shock mounts are definitely an improvement. I'm relieved it wasn't them b/c they really smooth out stuff like bridge joints and other bumps. The only tricky part is tightening down the strut nut on top but so worth it.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I did try to tighten the spindle nuts with my torque wrench set all the way up to 150 ft/lbs but it clicked right away...

My thinking now is to loosen and retighten, maybe that will make a difference???

I'll let you all know after the weekend.

PS Steeda shock mounts are definitely an improvement. I'm relieved it wasn't them b/c they really smooth out stuff like bridge joints and other bumps. The only tricky part is tightening down the strut nut on top but so worth it.
I over torqued it. Just by hand, 150 lb/ft + ~1/8 turn more .. It gets loose by itself over time. People also put a little blue loctite just incase.

For anyone who'd like to know what to tighten

32mm socket
the-driveshaft-shop-halfshaft-axle-assembly-800-hp-right-side-on-your-mustang1.png

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well mine that's sounds identical to the video is fixed!

After greasing all the bushing or replacing aftermarket parts with the OEM, the sound persisted. Spindle nut was at 150 ft/lbs from factory. So before spending any money on the issue I had my wife get in the trunk to isolate the sound. She was sure it was from the rear backsplash area behind the seats so I folded down the rear seat and had her sit in back to really pin point it and I couldn't replicate the sound.

Light dawns on Marblehead and I realize it must be the folding seat clasp. (I also noticed a slight paint chip on the U bracket.)

Greased up the bracket and inside the seat mechanism and the creap has stopped!

Hope this helps out someone

Last edited:

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible

After greasing all the bushing or replaces aftermarket pasts with the OEM the sound persisted. Spindle nut was at 150 ft/lbs from factory. So before spending any money on the issue I had my wife get in the trunk to isolate the sound. She was sure it was from the rear backsplash area behind the seats so I folded down the rear seat and had her sit in back to really pin point it and I couldn't replicate the sound.

Light dawns on Marblehead and I realize it must be the folding seat clasp. (I also noticed a slight paint chip on the U bracket.)

Going to give this a try tonight...thanks :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Gtracing26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Thank you Sideways Mike and Smann for taking your time to help me solve this issue. Sorry for the late response I’ve been busy with work, school, etc. I will try greasing up the bracket first and if that doesn’t work then Ill check the torque on my spindle nuts. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

OP
OP

Gtracing26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Thanks SidewaysMike Ill check that out and see if thats whats causing the sound. Sadly I checked the rear seat latches and U bracket then drove with the seats down and the sound was still there. I had my gf get in the trunk of the car as well and we narrowed it down to the passenger side rear taillight area. It sounds like a coil or spring compressing and then stretching back out. It could be something realated to the suspension but after having narrowed it down to the taillight area I figured I would see if maybe it was the body panels or taillight itself. After messing with the panels and taillight I found that only the passenger tailight squeaks when it is pushed down on or manipulated. I also found out that if you push on my rear quarter panel near the rear bumper the sound you hear in the video can be lightly heard. Im wondering if the taillight is the issue or if its a mixture of the taillight and a body panel rubbing against something. Ill post videos of what Im talking about later this week. I am sadly dealing with a tint issue at the moment as well. I had a highly rated(4.9stars out of 5) tint shop tint my mustang 15% all around excluding the windshield. The shop did a good job on the front two windows but completely ruined the rear window and quarter windows. There is contamination and air bubbles throughout my rear window near all of the defrosting wires. As well as air bubbles in the quarter windows and the dot matrix. Im Taking the car back to the tint shop Friday and hopefully having it fully repaired free of charge. Wish me luck!

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

After greasing all the bushing or replacing aftermarket parts with the OEM, the sound persisted. Spindle nut was at 150 ft/lbs from factory. So before spending any money on the issue I had my wife get in the trunk to isolate the sound. She was sure it was from the rear backsplash area behind the seats so I folded down the rear seat and had her sit in back to really pin point it and I couldn't replicate the sound.

What grease to use?
Sponsored