Sponsored

Autocross and now service advance trac?

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
For my GT350 when it glitches out it sets the car to "normal" mode from "track" mode and traction control is on at full nanny mode; cuts the power if it anticipates even the slightest rear wheel spin.
Yep... The EBPP does the same thing. Everything goes back to normal settings.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Hmmm. I just spent a lot of time TRYING to find the "definitive statement" I thought I read when I first got the car and FSM. No luck finding anything definitive and obviously actual experience overrides whatever the manual says(or seems to say) in any case.

I don't know how Advance-Trac could function without all its normal input data. However, it would make sense that if a fault clears Advance-Trac would then revert to "normal".

Have any of you guys noticed whether or not the "service Advance-Trac" message is still displayed after a run? I've had so few that I never thought to look.

For what it may be worth here are most, if not all, of the relevant words from various portions of the FSM.

Stability-Traction Control

The message center provides a stability-traction control system message to indicate the stability-traction control system has a fault and requires service.

When a fault condition exists in the stability-traction control system, the ABS module sets a DTC and sends the stability-traction control chime request to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the stability-traction control chime request to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 .

Service AdvanceTrac® Warning Chime

The service AdvanceTrac® warning chime warns the ABS module has detected a fault condition in the stability-traction control system. If a fault condition exists in the stability-traction control system, the ABS module sends the IPC the stability-traction control chime request to display the service AdvanceTrac® message in the message center and to sound 3 0.5-second chime tones through the front speakers.

The IPC receives the stability-traction control chime request from the GWM over the HS-CAN3 .

The GWM receives the stability-traction control chime request from the ABS module over the HS-CAN2 .

When a chime request is received, the IPC sends the IPC chime request message to the ACM and the audio DSP module over the HS-CAN3 to sound the chime.

Stability-Traction Control

The message center provides a stability-traction control system message to indicate the stability-traction control system has a fault and requires service.

When a fault condition exists in the stability-traction control system, the ABS module sets a DTC and sends the stability-traction control chime request to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 . The GWM sends the stability-traction control chime request to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 .

Selectable drive mode FCIM This message is sent to the GWM and then to the ABS module. This message informs the ABS module of the current, driver selected vehicle mode; Normal, Sport, Snow-Wet or Track. The ABS module adjusts the thresholds for anti-lock braking and stability control system intervention depending on the mode selected.

Stability-traction control mode FCIM This message is sent to the GWM and then to the ABS module. This message informs the ABS module of the current, driver selected mode for the traction control and stability control features; on, off or sport.

ESC does not operate with the transmission in REVERSE. ESC is disabled if there is a wheel speed sensor, RCM stability sensor or steering angle sensor DTC present in the ABS module. ESC is also disabled if there is a communication error between the ABS module and the PSCM or the ABS module and the RCM . When ESC is disabled, the ABS module sends a message to the GWM over the HS-CAN2 which relays the message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 to illuminate the stability-traction control OFF indicator (sliding car OFF icon).

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI this is from one of the GT350 threads but it is about Conedodger's (Chris Cox) experience with his base model GT PP

I had the same problems with my PP car until I did the following.

Before disabling traction control place the car in track mode and then firmly depress the brake pedal, activate the E brake and then touch nothing accept the traction control button. If you move the car in any way including moving the steering wheel, close a door or hood, anything, the traction control will not completely deactivate.
I've never tried that method since apparently no need (edit to add - for my car). Fingers crosssed.

FYI for the GT350 guy if you haven't read this thread you might find some useful info on the stability control stuff.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1773387#post1773387

Last edited:
Reactions: TDC

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
My '17 Ecoboost did this one track day on a road course and I had it in normal mode with the nannies on. :shrug: It did it once and then didn't do it any more during later sessions.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Did you get the Overheating warning? Seems strange you would get the warning on an Autocross??? Your issue could be something else????

Edit to add... The 2015s do not have the temp sensor, so I'm not sure what your service warning could be?

Overheating the differential is a very common problem. See...http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52324

Change your fluid to 75-140 Synthetic. This is a Ford Performance recommendation for tracking your car. I change mine after every track day.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
So Just came back from an autox and of the 5 runs it signaled an advance trac error 2 times. Let the car run for a minute than another minute after going into track mode and fully turning off advance trac. Frustrating because I was battling for first in my class.

OP
OP
cop on my back

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Funny thing is, I accidently went into a huge drift into a corner and like always, I gave it lost of gas to hold it and steer it out. I don't know if it was the fact I was quite low on fuel or the advance trac screwing up, but just as I was about to get the car back under full control, the car throttled back on its own. This could have ended badly and gone into a snap steer, but I had the car pretty much straightened out. I had all babysitters turned off, so I hope it was just low fuel.

I will post a pic someone took of the drift once I get home to my computer, it looks pretty awesome.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also suspected that low fuel could cause it but this latest autox I had 3/4 tank and it still occurred twice.

Never have a problem with this on the road and so far never an issue on a road course. I have a track day coming up and if it doesn't do it than I'm convinced that the sudden inputs required of autox don't sit well with the factory computers. Would love it if Ford came up with a fix. May contact Ford Performance in a few weeks to see if they have heard or know of anything.

Only thing that makes me think it's not the computers is the # of 6th gen Mustangs autox'ing across the nation and in SCCA Nationals that don't report experiencing the issue. Mine is frequent enough that I would think people would be jumping up and down about it.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I had a hell of a time with mine and it got put in a limp mode also after a spin during my codriver's last run.

It seems you have to let the computers boot up for a while before playing with it and that seems to help but I have also had the service advancetrac come up while getting the car washed..

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
At Saturday run group I shut the car off between runs and half the time I got the ding-a-ling-ing shortly after launch on the next run. I did not detect any interference from the brain in the car nor limp mode.

Sunday I started the car in pits, parked in grid and let'r run all the way through the run group and no ding-a-ling-ing issues at all.

Sponsored

AutoX R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
Earlier this year I was at a test and tune event, autocrossing the car for the first time. In the middle of a run the "Service AdvanceTrac" comes up. I didn't even know what it was at first. Once I figured it out I thought I had just overworked the system during the run. Someone else showed me how to turn it off and it never came on again. I did like twelve more runs that day and there were no other issues.

I have done four more events and another test and tune, and so far so good. I also warm up the car before the start, and on normal events let it run through the entire run group.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had My car go into limp mode after Advance track warnings and wrench light. I have concluded it was due to my clutch slipping.
First session, anxious I forgot to engage "Track mode" and went 3 laps in normal driving mode. I realized this and on the straight at about 5000 rpm I engaged Track mode. One more lap later I get a Christmas tree of lights and it goes into limp mode.
Back in the pits I had to disconnect the battery and start and stop the engine to finally get the car out of limp mode.
Second Session, I put the car into Track mode and then held the advance track button until the light came on telling me Advance track is OFF. I went for a warm up lap and then ran hard for 3 laps. Between turns 6 and 7 my clutch explodes at the exact same time the Advance track warnings show up and puts me into limp mode again.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]LYzLjaQWJRI[/MEDIA]"]

Bbrillon998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 (Ruby Red)
I had one instance of the service advance track light come on and hill start error warning come on during autocross.

I over cooked a corner and went around ass-end forward (traction control off and Advance track off). After the run the car gave me the error message but it did not occur afterwords any any subsequent runs.

Strangely months later on the roads to work I would get the error messages for servicing advance track every time i powered out of a corner or hard accelerations from a stop. It turned out that the steering wheel position sensor (not the wheel speed senor) was faulty and was replaced under warranty. It was causing errors in the data advance track uses to help keep you out of a wall and showed up on OBD tests.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strangely months later on the roads to work I would get the error messages for servicing advance track every time i powered out of a corner or hard accelerations from a stop. It turned out that the steering wheel position sensor (not the wheel speed senor) was faulty and was replaced under warranty. It was causing errors in the data advance track uses to help keep you out of a wall and showed up on OBD tests.
So I didn't have an issue at this past weekends track day so I believe the error is being initiated by sudden inputs either A) confusing the computer or the more likely B) a position sensor (suspension for the mag ride or steering) that is intermittently faulty during extreme sudden positional changes which tend to occur on autox as opposed to track days.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
It reared it's ugly head on me doing paced laps at Talladega Superspeedway. So no input more sudden than your average interstate commute. I'm guessing it might have been the steepness of the banking, but that's just a guess. Got my first real autocross in the car this saturday followed by the Bristol Tour events the following weekend. If this continues to be a mysterious Mustang issue then there will likely be a very nice EBPP Premium up for sale soon :(.
Sponsored