Sponsored

Oil check , cold, warm?

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Ive always check my oil leaving the car idling for a lil while to warm up and then let it sit for around 10min, but I noticed that when I checked it cold after leaving it over the night, that the oil is above the max mark,by a 1/16th inch .

Im wondering what the correct way of checking the oil is and if I should remove some to avoid damage?
Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just my thoughts.
I think there is enough wiggle room on the dipstick to where right after running the car the oil should be near the lower level mark and after sitting for 30 minutes it should be near the upper mark. Just takes time for all the oil to drain off of all the surfaces in the engine. Its bitten me before by checking the oil level too soon after turning off the engine, and it registered low, so I put oil in, and checked it and it looked normal. Then checking it the next morning after sitting all night it was above full. I don't think temp has a whole lot to do with it other than it helps the oil thin out so it will run off the surfaces faster.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It makes you wonder they have all this digital stuff in new cars like tire pressure but still use a manual dipstick that is hard to read.

You would think they would have a dash reading of oil level (not the oil life) to get it spot on every fill.

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Sensors fail and do stupid things. The dipstick is almost idiot-proof. Almost.

Reactions: CB

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If it's good enough for tire pressure....

I wouldn't mind the manual dipstick still but something better than hot or cold or too hot and where on the dipstick did the oil start and drip, and fiddling it around the strut brace etc.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If it's good enough for tire pressure....

I wouldn't mind the manual dipstick still but something better than hot or cold or too hot and where on the dipstick did the oil start and drip, and fiddling it around the strut brace etc.
I don't think a digital gauge like that would be accurate unless the car was off for a given time just like the dipstick, but they could do that for sure. Heck they could probably put one (or several) in there and tell you if its full or not while it's running that used rpm/temp/g-forces/etc. info to how much oil is flying around in there.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Cold.
1/16 is nothing to worry about. It could be simply because of the incline.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
My daughter's 2006 BMW has a digital oil level gauge that you have to view through the dash buried in the menus but no physical stick. Frustrating!!

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
My 135i had the digital "stick" It basically just told you if you had enough or were low. It was not accurate though. You could put a quart too much and it still said good to go.

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sensors fail and do stupid things. The dipstick is almost idiot-proof. Almost.
lol I've never seen so many complaints from people on reading a dipstick than with the last two generations of Mustang smh, I mean really, how hard is it? lol

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I have always assumed that the oil level should be checked when the engine is cold and has had time for the oil to drain down into the pan. So I check the oil before I start up in the morning.
My brother checks the level when he fills up with gas; hot oil.
Which is correct?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Just do an oil change. Let it set for 10 min. Check the oil and note where it is on your dipstick. I actually scratched a mark where it was. Then I idled it till it was at operating temps. Waited 5 min, and checked it again. It was a little different, so I marked the stick again. Now I know that as long as it is somewhere between those two marks or right on them then I am good to go. I think that companies are vague on dipsticks anymore for a reason.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Doesn't matter if the engine's hot or cold. Just leave the car sitting for 10-20 minutes to allow the oil to drain from the top of the engine into the oil pan to get an accurate reading of the level.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Just do an oil change. Let it set for 10 min. Check the oil and note where it is on your dipstick. I actually scratched a mark where it was. Then I idled it till it was at operating temps. Waited 5 min, and checked it again. It was a little different, so I marked the stick again. Now I know that as long as it is somewhere between those two marks or right on them then I am good to go. I think that companies are vague on dipsticks anymore for a reason.
There it is...how to take a simple and mundane task and rape the shit out of it.
Sponsored