Sponsored

performance pack brake cooling

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
hello. it was either car and driver or ford's website talking about the performance pack and said it has special grille work to direct air to the front brakes.

anyone know what this is exactly? i'm guessing it's not actual ducting? is it sufficient? i know ducting made a big difference for me on my '13 gt.

thanks,
Sponsored

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
Not sure if what your talking about is the slit beside the fog lamp assembley. There is a small opening on the outer edge of the car you can see it from the wheel well. And the front at certain angles.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
It's the undertray in the front. There are some scalloped out shapes to direct airflow toward the brakes.
Capture_PP_underbody_shield_front_brake_cooling.JPG

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yep. And then there are some angled dodads that direct airflow right into the wheel hub area to feed the rotor vents.

OP
OP

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
interesting. thanks.

edit: they really put some thought into this. it's like they took an extra step to make it an overall better experience from a driver's point of view. the non-pp gt i drove for short ride (with auto trans) really felt good to drive compared to my '13. that's pretty much why i am doing the upgrade.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Is it safe to assume the brake cooling enhancement shown in the pic only applies to GT PP cars? I put my 2018 EB PP car on the lift and didn't see any air deflectors. There also appeared to be a full dust shield on the back of the rotor. I can definitely see these fronts getting "warm" at the track without any provision for cooling.

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Is it safe to assume the brake cooling enhancement shown in the pic only applies to GT PP cars? I put my 2018 EB PP car on the lift and didn't see any air deflectors. There also appeared to be a full dust shield on the back of the rotor. I can definitely see these fronts getting "warm" at the track without any provision for cooling.
The issue with the non PP GT and EB PP brakes (4 piston) is the venting is on the front of the rotor (where you can see the vanes). So any air ducting in the rear isn't going to do much unfortunately. Some aftermarket rotors may solve this by moving the vents to the rear.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue with the non PP GT and EB PP brakes (4 piston) is the venting is on the front of the rotor (where you can see the vanes). So any air ducting in the rear isn't going to do much unfortunately. Some aftermarket rotors may solve this by moving the vents to the rear.
I meant the back of the front rotor. No the rear rotor.

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I was talking about the front rotor it's backwards for some odd reason, buddy has a 18 gt that we just did some suspension stuff on and thought it was weird ford opted for those kind of rotors

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was talking about the front rotor it's backwards for some odd reason, buddy has a 18 gt that we just did some suspension stuff on and thought it was weird ford opted for those kind of rotors
Let me clarify...

In the picture above, there is an air deflector mounted on the control arm. This deflector directs air to the inside of the front rotor. There is also essentially no dust shield covering the inside surface of the front rotor, allowing the cooling air to reach the surface of the rotor. On my 2018 EB PP, there is no such deflector and there is a dust shield that completely covers the inside surface of the front rotor. Therefore, I surmised that the EB PP (and possibly base GT) did not, and currently do not, have this provision for cooling.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Curious as to what you meant when asking if the factory brake cooling was sufficient? If you mean for moderate track use, then the answer to that is no... I ended up melting the factory brake pads. Moved to JLT's brake cooling solution that replaces the fog lights and some track day pads and no longer have any issues with overheating.

If you mean sufficient for daily driving and the occasional light track day, then yes... they will probably be fine.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Let me clarify...

In the picture above, there is an air deflector mounted on the control arm. This deflector directs air to the inside of the front rotor. There is also essentially no dust shield covering the inside surface of the front rotor, allowing the cooling air to reach the surface of the rotor. On my 2018 EB PP, there is no such deflector and there is a dust shield that completely covers the inside surface of the front rotor. Therefore, I surmised that the EB PP (and possibly base GT) did not, and currently do not, have this provision for cooling.
The dust shield could definitely be removed (and would be replaced if you got the JLT brake cooling kit).

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious as to what you meant when asking if the factory brake cooling was sufficient? If you mean for moderate track use, then the answer to that is no... I ended up melting the factory brake pads. Moved to JLT's brake cooling solution that replaces the fog lights and some track day pads and no longer have any issues with overheating.

If you mean sufficient for daily driving and the occasional light track day, then yes... they will probably be fine.
I'll be doing some HPDE later this year. My experience over the years with track cars has shown that even a modest amount of cooling air can help substantially on the track. I'll start with it "as is" and then make any adjustments/mods after I have a baseline. The EB PP front brakes are quite substantial. I am used to running cars with MUCH smaller brakes. Proper pads, fluid, and "technique" are all important.

I have a '72 911 that I have tracked for 15 years that has a similar set up to the GT PP. It works fine. If need be, I can rig up a similar arrangement on my EB PP.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
It's the undertray in the front. There are some scalloped out shapes to direct airflow toward the brakes.
Will that undertray / belly pan fit an Ecoboost? Is it simply a different mold of belly pan that uses the same mounting points? Same question for the air deflectors on the control arm... I would think it wouldn't hurt to install them on my Ecoboost if they are direct bolt ons.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
The GT PP doesn't have a dust shield. It has a heat shield to protect the ball joints.

The deflector on the control arm deflects the air to the MIDDLE of the rotor, where it then travels in the veins to the outside of the rotor. People commonly mischaracterize the veins as being backwards when in reality the airflow direction is OUT of the rotor towards the barrel of the wheel, not INTO the rotor towards the hub..
Sponsored