Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

tofercali

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tofer
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Redline on 20's
Just got back from a long road trip in which my new GT-PP developed this passenger side interior rear rattle! I HATE IT!!!!!!!
Sounds like the upper quarter trim to me.

Can these trim panels just be pulled off?
This was actually the easiest car I've ever taken apart. The rear seat bottom has a push tab under each side, towards the middle of each seat bottom. Push those in and the whole seat bottom pops up and pulls out.

The trim panels all simply pull out. Just be careful not to break any of the tabs/mounts. First pull up the plastic piece running the length of the floor/door opening, then carefully pull out the large rear passenger side wall piece. In my case, I put foam everywhere. Particularly behind the plastic pieces surrounding the rear quarter window. You can just pull these out a bit and slip foam behind. I used something called camper foam tape from pep boys. Oh and a rolled up sock in the cavity to the rear of the quarter window. Noise is 99% gone after all that.

Good luck! :cheers:
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For some reason mine just went away all on its own. But now I'm getting some terrible rattles from the dashboard, the instrumental cluster, the glove box, the right door, and the center console lol. I keep getting a lot of creaking, cracking, buzzing and rattling noises everyday... And everyday they're different. I just kinda gave up on them though, that's what I get from buying a Ford. No more Fords for me after I'm done with this one
I want you to love your Pony again, marcogerges. Let me help calm her down, and reconnect you with your CSM for the issue, if you'd like.

Just got back from a long road trip in which my new GT-PP developed this passenger side interior rear rattle! I HATE IT!!!!!!!
Sounds like the upper quarter trim to me.

Can these trim panels just be pulled off?
Hey tevaburns,

I understand if you decide to look into this on your own. If you'd like to have your dealer take a shot though, send over a PM. I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager to assist with the repair process.

Jeff

OP
OP

marcogerges

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I want you to love your Pony again, marcogerges. Let me help calm her down, and reconnect you with your CSM for the issue, if you'd like.

Hey tevaburns,

I understand if you decide to look into this on your own. If you'd like to have your dealer take a shot though, send over a PM. I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager to assist with the repair process.

Jeff
Thank you, appreciate your help but I'll most likely just trade the car in for the 6th gen Camaro if the interior looks a lot nicer than the current gen.

zzazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Ecoboost Mustang
My two month old car has the same issue. The rattle is especially terrible if I listen to music with bass, but I also hear it on relatively smooth roads with the radio off.

I have already taken it to the dealer twice. First time they tried replacing the subwoofer, didn’t help. Second time they were going to replace the rear passenger side speaker but tech realized it still made the terrible noises with that speaker unplugged. So he added some insulation in the trunk which did fix the problem for about 2 weeks. Now it is making the terrible rattle sounds again.

It’s super frustrating and annoying to have paid nearly 40k for a rattle trap. This issue along with the terrible experience I’ve had with the dealership I purchased the car from have really made me regret my purchase.

Now I guess I get to take it to a dealership once again and hope whatever they do lasts longer then a few weeks?

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My two month old car has the same issue. The rattle is especially terrible if I listen to music with bass, but I also hear it on relatively smooth roads with the radio off.

I have already taken it to the dealer twice. First time they tried replacing the subwoofer, didn’t help. Second time they were going to replace the rear passenger side speaker but tech realized it still made the terrible noises with that speaker unplugged. So he added some insulation in the trunk which did fix the problem for about 2 weeks. Now it is making the terrible rattle sounds again.

It’s super frustrating and annoying to have paid nearly 40k for a rattle trap. This issue along with the terrible experience I’ve had with the dealership I purchased the car from have really made me regret my purchase.

Now I guess I get to take it to a dealership once again and hope whatever they do lasts longer then a few weeks?
Hey zzazz,

Let me help make the process (and your ride) a little smoother. PM your VIN, name, phone number, dealer info, and mileage. I'll loop in a customer service manager to work with you and the dealer through the diagnosis and repair.

Jeff

Sponsored

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
I am going to have mine fixed for the 3rd time as well. 2nd attempt to get rid of the rattle worked for about two weeks. Now my headlight switch is making noise. I am going to switch dealerships. I have not been happy with my local one. I have a squeaky passenger seat that they have looked at 4 times and not been able to fix. Very aggravating!

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
This might sound weird but has anyone checked there taillights. My passenger side tail light if I tap it has a rattle to it, I have heard it rattle with my car off and music on loud.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Every time I go rattle and buzz hunting, I find yet another interior piece that isn't secured properly, i.e. the tabs to hold it in place are not seated correctly. I recently found that the hard plastic on the outside edges of both back seats were both improperly installed... they both snapped right in when they were pushed on. The folks at Fat Rock putting in the interior bits are doing a piss poor job! Maybe they should take a little bit more pride in their workmanship, and maybe Ford service should pass along our comments to them to shame them, they were hired to do a job... if they can't do it correctly, particularly after building tens of thousands of these vehicles maybe they should be fired... my bad, they are probably union and you can't get rid of them.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am going to have mine fixed for the 3rd time as well. 2nd attempt to get rid of the rattle worked for about two weeks. Now my headlight switch is making noise. I am going to switch dealerships. I have not been happy with my local one. I have a squeaky passenger seat that they have looked at 4 times and not been able to fix. Very aggravating!
Send over your info as well, yessirrom: VIN, mileage, name, phone number, and preferred dealer. I want this third time to be a charm! I'll get a regional customer service manager involved. They'll be able to assist in resolving.

Every time I go rattle and buzz hunting, I find yet another interior piece that isn't secured properly, i.e. the tabs to hold it in place are not seated correctly. I recently found that the hard plastic on the outside edges of both back seats were both improperly installed... they both snapped right in when they were pushed on. The folks at Fat Rock putting in the interior bits are doing a piss poor job! Maybe they should take a little bit more pride in their workmanship, and maybe Ford service should pass along our comments to them to shame them, they were hired to do a job... if they can't do it correctly, particularly after building tens of thousands of these vehicles maybe they should be fired... my bad, they are probably union and you can't get rid of them.
I get what you're saying, cush. I'm able to document your product feedback, but am not located in the plant. I am here to help get your concerns resolved, though. Send over the above info, and I'll get you connected also. :)

Jeff

HBMike

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My car has the same vibration buzz with the headlight switch and passenger door. I've just been too busy to pop them off and fix it.

Sponsored

comagt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Rear passenger area started rattling as I drove off the lot with 8 miles. Followed me home for 200 miles and is still there. I think the factory forgot to remove the rattle :D Not the best first impression for interior quality. However driving the car made it easier to ignore. Hope someone finds this one. I will try this weekend.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Rear passenger area started rattling as I drove off the lot with 8 miles. Followed me home for 200 miles and is still there. I think the factory forgot to remove the rattle :D Not the best first impression for interior quality. However driving the car made it easier to ignore. Hope someone finds this one. I will try this weekend.
Check all the weather stripping around the passenger door, then check all the plastic around the right rear window, then check the plastic around the seat belt retractor area. Oh and open up the rear seats to see if the plastic bits are all seated properly. Also buckle the seat belts to eliminate the possibility of them (the metal portion) from vibrating against the hard plastic. I would also check to see if the door is flush, if it's sticking out, then I'd say most of the rattling is being caused by too much free space, i.e. the tighter the door and window the less chance of bits that touch them are vibrating. I've been working on the rattle and hum crap for the last couple months on and off... ya fix one and then ya hear another, I think I found most of them.:headbonk:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I've had this mysterious buzz from the rear passenger are twice now. Being in the business of fixing things, I totally understand how this cannot be fixed until it is there all the time. It also seems to be a temperature related issue.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Yep, I think it is temperature related too. Mine doesn't happen all the time either - sometimes its super quiet so I'd feel like a fool going into the service department with this complaint! I'm pretty sure the temperature related part is due to the fact that the epicenter of the noise is the plastic panel Very frustrating indeed.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I think the issue is most likely the hard foam. I took the rear passenger panel off and removed the foam parts rather than try to mitigate them. Seems that they are spacers to keep the panel in place - rather than bowing into the sheet metal. I don't carry rear passengers. However, upon reassembly the panel is plenty strong without the foam. I also put some tension on the two white clips that attach the panel to the sheet metal on the door side.

The noise only happens on my car on rough sections of interstate above 65mph. Memorial Day traffic is at a peak right now, so the test drive will have to wait for the commute tomorrow. However, I can say that I'm absolutely certain the issue is somewhere in the panel because with the rear bottom seat and side panel removed, the car made no noise at all on the interstate.

Here's a short video of one of the foam parts doing its thing:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=acwv44>&s=8#.VWOnHOd4iQl

EDIT: 5/26/2015 - Road tested it this morning and all rattles are now gone
Sponsored

Last edited: