Sponsored

V1 Radar Detector hard wire install

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Yeah the V1 is a lot worse on false K compared to my Redline. I remember getting an email a few weeks ago about the junk k fighter but I haven't plugged my serial in yet. Guess I'll take a look over the weekend
Yeah, they sent out an email awhile back, but to be honest I haven't had issues since I got the traffic monitor update about 18 months ago. One of my 3 V1's doesn't have the traffic update yet (wife's in-town car), so I think i'm going to update it and then back to back it with the unit in my Mustang over a couple days and see if there is any difference.
Sponsored

dtraill27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost Premium
Yeah, they sent out an email awhile back, but to be honest I haven't had issues since I got the traffic monitor update about 18 months ago. One of my 3 V1's doesn't have the traffic update yet (wife's in-town car), so I think i'm going to update it and then back to back it with the unit in my Mustang over a couple days and see if there is any difference.
Yeah I think my last update might have been a year or to ago I'll deff look into it. Don't feel like paying $90 though haha

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I think my last update might have been a year or to ago I'll deff look into it. Don't feel like paying $90 though haha
That's why my wife's didn't have the update yet. ;)

I got tired of moving the unit between cars so I bit the bullet years ago and bought a second one. Then, when I got my third "weekend" car I bought another. I've been using V1's since 1999ish and have no complaints in all these years, other than when I had only one unit, the downtime while sending it in for an upgrade replacement was brutal. Driving even 2 days on my commute without the V1 makes me feel naked.

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I did not know you could update the software. im going to look into that tomorrow.

thanks

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
I just got my updated unit back Thursday, made a world of difference on false alarms.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression it was a download update. V1 wanted another $199 to update mine. I think ill stay with what I have for now. if I was going to do that, I might as well put another 200 bucks and get a Passport

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression it was a download update. V1 wanted another $199 to update mine. I think ill stay with what I have for now. if I was going to do that, I might as well put another 200 bucks and get a Passport
The longer you wait and the more updates that come out, the more expensive the update is. But, they don't really update your unit, you get a new one back. Also, you just send in the detector but you get a whole kit back, new cables, mounting hardware, etc.

I bought a passport 8500 a couple years ago to try it with the GPS feature. I was not impressed and ended up returning it. Once you've owned a V1 it's hard to use something else, at least for me.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Can someone post a pic of the finished install por favor

BadKarma!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R (HR815) + 23' Rivian R1S
Vehicle Showcase
The longer you wait and the more updates that come out, the more expensive the update is. But, they don't really update your unit, you get a new one back. Also, you just send in the detector but you get a whole kit back, new cables, mounting hardware, etc.

I bought a passport 8500 a couple years ago to try it with the GPS feature. I was not impressed and ended up returning it. Once you've owned a V1 it's hard to use something else, at least for me.

I completely agree. Mike Valentine gets it. I paid the original $399 over a decade ago. I have upgraded twice for $199 and each time I have received a full retail kit.

I have yet to hear of a better radar product or upgrade path.

To me, it's worth every penny I have paid to date.

Mike

Rig Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I completely agree. Mike Valentine gets it. I paid the original $399 over a decade ago. I have upgraded twice for $199 and each time I have received a full retail kit.

Mike
I dropped off my V1 at UPS today for the latest update. Since I updated in 2013, this update will only cost $55. It's worth it; the V1 has never failed me and I can drive with confidence.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I dropped off my V1 at UPS today for the latest update. Since I updated in 2013, this update will only cost $55. It's worth it; the V1 has never failed me and I can drive with confidence.

Mike

okay, convinced me. in the mail it goes

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
Are you guys using SAVVY ? I'm looking at purchasing a V1 and was looking at the GT package.

Just curious as they do list some vehicles with compatibility issues..

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use SAVVY in my C7. Only because I already ran a hard wire down there and didn't want to tap the mirror due to the complexity of the C7's mirror housing.

With all the mirror tap options though it's hard to justify it since I hate running the power line around the panels and side airbags.

In my Corvette the Saavy will interfere with OnStar getting the regular updates on the car's status that they email you like oil life and tire pressures, no big deal to me.

I think if you can't/don't want to tap the mirror for power it's okay, the mute at certain speed is nice.

Scott in Houston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Track Package
I know it's somewhat off topic, but do you guys really feel "confident"?
I used to use a V1 religiously, but I sold it.
I found it almost useless since lasers are so pervasive around here. Especially in the city. I could never feel "confident".

Do you guys not agree or find something different?

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it's somewhat off topic, but do you guys really feel "confident"?
I used to use a V1 religiously, but I sold it.
I found it almost useless since lasers are so pervasive around here. Especially in the city. I could never feel "confident".

Do you guys not agree or find something different?
Yes, I feel confident.

The key with Laser is to not be the guy in the front leading the charge whenever possible. Let someone else have that job and drop back a little. I catch laser refraction quite a bit from letting others lead and pay for the tickets while I safely avoid the danger.
Sponsored