A real cold air system not another hot air intake

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I saw this posted elsewhere and this is a real cold air intake not your typical hot air intake. The only one I have seen so far that might outperform the stock Ford system. Actually testing by me has shown that the hot air intakes are just that drawing in air from the engine compartment from 40 to 60 degrees higher than the ambient air temperature. Getting ALL the air from the front grill opening is the only way to assure you're getting cold air and all the horse power you are paying for.
Sponsored

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
Fwiw, I see intake air temps of about 4-10 degrees over ambient...bone stock.

tribaltek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 STi
I'm not a huge fan either. Would like to see real world IAT comparisons between this and the JLT (which has the box as well, just not the lid).

Sponsored

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I did real world testing with a thermocouple measuring temperature in the end of the filter on a typical hot air intake. Depending on the speed the car travels the air is preheated by the engine compartment. I also did an experiment I made a gauge that allowed me to measure the distance from the rubber gasket on the typical HAI to the hood and the gap varied from .5" to a full 2" these things aren't even close to keeping out hot air. But hey I don't sell the things any of them and I won't waste my money you make up your own mind.

Criticism is the only way these companies will innovate and create better products as long as you buy their existing product why should they change? I will grant you this on the dyno with the hood open the big intake tube and free flowing filter probably makes a difference but I am not interested in winning any dyno wars.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
You are so right about the air gap, and putting a lid on makes sense. I'm surprised it's taken so long for the "CAI" manufacturers to slam shut that hot air source between the hood and shield.

I would paint or anodize the aluminum part of the cover black so as to be a little less conspicuous. Having the clear inspection port is a great, but the contrasting aluminum calls too much attention away from the engine in my opinion.

GStang

GStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
Works for me....I think it looks sharp in the engine and seems to fit perfect

just waiting for them to ship mine out...on back order they say.

Any thoughts on possible power gains?

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Works for me....I think it looks sharp in the engine and seems to fit perfect

just waiting for them to ship mine out...on back order they say.

Any thoughts on possible power gains?
It probably prevents more power loss due to increased air inlet temps. than increasing power, but on hot days it's gotta be worth a bunch over the open style CAIs.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It probably prevents more power loss due to increased air inlet temps. than increasing power, but on hot days it's gotta be worth a bunch over the open style CAIs.
Only when driving on city roads or in stop-and-go traffic . Closed type intakes (IE the stock airbox, this one) fight off heat really well on the street, but retain heat much longer.

Ram type intakes, IE the "CAI" reduce IAT's with a hurry on the track, but suffer from heatsoak badly in daily driving traffic.

You cannot have it both ways unfortunately.

Sponsored

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
This look interesting, I'm all for a true cold-air intake, I'll wait for power figures.

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
To get a power increase you need a tune. According to Airaid they have a insert in the tube which allows their CAI to be used without a tune but it can be removed when a tune is available. All the HAI [Hot Air Intakes] get their power from a tune with the hood wide open so no heat can accumulates around the filter.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I saw this posted elsewhere and this is a real cold air intake not your typical hot air intake. The only one I have seen so far that might outperform the stock Ford system. Actually testing by me has shown that the hot air intakes are just that drawing in air from the engine compartment from 40 to 60 degrees higher than the ambient air temperature. Getting ALL the air from the front grill opening is the only way to assure you're getting cold air and all the horse power you are paying for.
Pretty much looks like a prettied up version of the stock system... change the filter to a cone shape vice flat and add a window....

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Pretty much looks like a prettied up version of the stock system... change the filter to a cone shape vice flat and add a window....

Yup and the stock system looks great. A freer flowing stock filter if you are not getting a tune would be the cheapest choice. Then maybe this with a tune. The intake is opened up and the MAF tube is bigger so the Airaid has that over the stock system.

Let me repeat I don't sell these things or anything else for that matter I just think the consumer deserves the best product for his money not just the same old thing that in my testing doesn't work in the real world.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

The keys to power gain is increase in size of tube to the throttle body, size of mass air meter and more filter surface area.

Combined with pulling cooler air, this could very well be the ticket. As long as the supply tube to the filter box is of sufficient size. Bigger will be better in that aspect. As large as possible.
Sponsored