Sponsored

Shifter For Automatic looks unnecessary? and gets in the way....

Automatic Console Shifter Design Going Forward

• Total voters

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I went to the White Madness Garage shifter, which is shorter, and has no button on top. So it looks like the manual shifter.

I like the shifter as is, because I can switch from D to S when I need to, or back again and without looking over at it.
Just ordered my White Madness Garage shifter with ruby red ball to match... thanks for the great idea!
Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just ordered my White Madness Garage shifter with ruby red ball to match... thanks for the great idea!
I run this as well in RR. :headbang:

Stock shifter is obnoxiously too big for an Auto. Just gets in the way.

The paddle shifters are functional but not that practical. The paddles should be mounted to the column, not the wheel.

The biggest issue I have is if the wheel is turned, I may not have my hand in reach of the paddle to shift up, so of i'm rocking S mode and using the paddles and accelerate from a stop making a turn, i have no choice but to sound like a douche' revving to 5k in first until i can get the wheel straight enough to tap the up shift paddle. It's annoying on the road course as well.

If we had a sequential shifter in the center console, this wouldn't be an issue.

On a side note: why can't we have a gear number in the center display? Seems like a bit of an oversight to just have this little number indicator when manually shifting.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
On a side note: why can't we have a gear number in the center display? Seems like a bit of an oversight to just have this little number indicator when manually shifting.
Digital display on the 2018 should take care of that issue - I believe the screen can be customized so that the current gear number is rather large.

The question remains if this number can stay visible even in normal drive mode.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The biggest issue I have is if the wheel is turned, I may not have my hand in reach of the paddle to shift up, so of i'm rocking S mode and using the paddles and accelerate from a stop making a turn, i have no choice but to sound like a douche' revving to 5k in first until i can get the wheel straight enough to tap the up shift paddle. It's annoying on the road course as well.

If we had a sequential shifter in the center console, this wouldn't be an issue.
Sums it up nicely.

If Hyundai can give you both paddles and sequential lever shifting in the Veloster it can't be all that expensive or difficult to do.

Norm

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum 2017 GT/CS
I run this as well in RR. :headbang:

Stock shifter is obnoxiously too big for an Auto. Just gets in the way.

The paddle shifters are functional but not that practical. The paddles should be mounted to the column, not the wheel.

How has it been? Any issues? I heard there's an issue with heat because they use steel.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
How has it been? Any issues? I heard there's an issue with heat because they use steel.
I read on the first run there was an issue but they fixed all orders. I don't remember what the exact problem was.

Regarding reliability, it's been fine. No issues. Fits well and isn't obnoxious like the factory one. Solid as the day i installed it. No heat issues.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
I read on the first run there was an issue but they fixed all orders. I don't remember what the exact problem was.

Regarding reliability, it's been fine. No issues. Fits well and isn't obnoxious like the factory one. Solid as the day i installed it. No heat issues.
Excellent. Looking forward to it. Now if I can just get someone to give me a new flat bottom steering wheel for Christmas...

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Changing gears via rotating a dial is one more step towards turning automobiles into appliances.
This I agree with. Not sure I would get used to it, but I guess it is inevitable. Now that I have a manual again, I will drive one as much as I can. Yeah, I know it is not as fast in a straight line, but I am not drag racing anyone. The feeling of being engaged in the driving the way rowing your own gears does cannot be replicated in my book. To me it is more about the pleasure of the experience than using it to be faster than someone else that I am not racing anyway.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Changing gears via rotating a dial is one more step towards turning automobiles into appliances.
With any luck at all, somebody on the aftermarket side will figure out how to convert that dial over to a proper lever. The electrical side of it is likely to be the easy part, making it look good . . . maybe not so easy.

Norm

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
They should replace it with the round shifter from the Fusion.
2017-Ford-Fusion-Rotary-Gear-Shift-Dial.jpg

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I may be too old school, but I hate these. I cannot forsee how this is superior, other than that it is smaller. One of the reasons that I do not like these is that I have to look down to make a gear shift change, lest I risk slamming it into reverse when I am trying to hit neutral. All of the auto shifters that I have used have blocks (pull from D to N is easy, R takes an extra effort/motion).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yuck.

Might as well put up signs that read "I drive because I have to, not because I want to".

Norm

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Is it just me, or does the Shifter look goofy now? I mean I thought it was electronically activated with sensors, (but it has been pointed out to me by another forum member that it is indeed connected with linkage, much to my surprise!) .....Modern cars seem to have done away with the unsightly projection with a simple electronically operated knob, etc., that does not project into the interior. A common, modern enhancement similar to say, seeing a "Start" button vs. actually turning a key... Given we have paddle shifters on the wheel, to use when we wish to row through the gears, so who needs this shifter projecting from the console into the interior any more? I just think that now, it looks better without one at all! What does everyone else think? Thanks!
Maybe you should move to Europe :headbonk:

My Wifes Volvo has one of these mini shifters you dream of
but at least when slid over to the left it ratchet shifts in Sport mode which is how
our Stangs should work..I am not in favor of the paddle shifter
I am in favor of the typical console shifter with ratchet option