Sponsored

Whipple IAT1 and IAT2

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
So I'm running a stage 2 Whipple kit with the large heat exchanger. The dash cluster reads the MAF IAT1 which is pre-compressor and usually reads about 7 degrees over ambient temps for me when just cruising around town fully warmed up, or even on spirited on ramp or the occasional 1-3 rip.

If I stop, especially idling with AC on, waiting in the school line to pick up the boys, I've seen IAT1 readings as high as 171 (today.) Now, that's Texas fall (85-90 degrees) in the sun sitting idling for about 15 minutes after the car was already fully warmed up. As soon as I get it moving at speed the IAT's drop like a rock of course, but until then it's pretty warm. Once the heat soak is gone everything is back to normal.

But it's got me thinking - is there any way (SCT, flare software, etc.) for me to read IAT2 to see what the post compressor temps look like? I'm really curious. I even toyed with dropping a temp sensor in the intercooler line to read coolant temp for that system.
Sponsored

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I don't believe there is any easy way of doing so if you stay with the Whipple tune. I recently went with the Palm Beach Dyno tune and installed the IAT2 harness which now displays my actual IAT2 on the dash cluster.

Just so you know, I also had concerns on what my post compressor air temperature would be, knowing my incoming air would sometimes reach 165 deg. Even on 90 deg days here in NY the highest temperature I ever saw (post compressor) was 118 deg and that was in stop n go traffic. Whipple's IC system does a really good job!

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
My Lund Ngauge displays IAT2 while running the whipple cal. Maybe its not accurate but it seems to show what boosted5.0_Ny is seeing with the PBD harness.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I can also read IAT2 with both HP Tuners VCM Scanner and my ngauge. Confirmed it is actually reading the post blower IAT sensor Whipple has you install, but it is heavily smoothed and doesn't fluctuate as much as I believe it should.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
Iat2’s are a bitch to control on aggressive pullied pd blowers. I played that game for the last few years with my CtsV and my s4. Best thing you can do to help lower iats is remove all exhaust restrictions (cats), add headers, 3” exhaust and make sure your intake can get all the fresh air possible. Porting the blower helps, e85 helps, larger hx resovior helps and running the most water in your system possible for your climate helps. Meth doesn’t really do much on pd’s except slightly delay the high iats and give you cooler/denser intake air, which increases boost 1-2psi.

Killer Chillers seem to be the best way to get iat2 down by super cooling your hx liquid to near freezing temps. That lowers your starting iat2, which gives you a lower ending iat2 after a multi gear hit. Downside is ac compressor runs 24/7 to reap those benefits.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
My Lund Ngauge displays IAT2 while running the whipple cal. Maybe its not accurate but it seems to show what boosted5.0_Ny is seeing with the PBD harness.
can someone show me this harness? I looked on the PBD site and dont see it.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Just got a new tune today from Whipple for IAT 2. I had to swap plugs on the back of the blower also.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Lowering and stabilizing IAT2 is complex issue, and so many things contribute to post blower heat. I've worked on this for 2 years and have nailed down every angle possible and now have a very low and stable IAT2 and IC water temps. I have coolant sensors in both pre and post intercooler and two different IAT2 sensors one being the PBD breakout harness and a ZT-2 (very accurate) sensor that all reads out on my Ngauge and that I can data log.

Things that contribute to IAT2 heat
1. Under hood engine heat...I have large Scott Drake hood heat extractors
2. Under hood heat getting sucked into airbox or open filter....I closed of my Whipple box and have a front feed snorkel
3. Engine Coolant and thermostat are the largest heat source and control on the motor. Lower the engine coolant and it lowers the I'C water temps and IAT's. Run 170 thermo and have fans set to accommodate.
4. Intercooler and heat exchanger size and flow rate. I have a custom 1" systems lines bungs and fittings, even into the whipple intercooler with a EMP high flow pump.
5. Open front grill to move more air across the heat exchanger and radiator and have it able to escape through hood vents or removing the rear hood seal.
6. Direct transfer of heat from the block/heads to the lower manifold housing the intercooler...I have Phenolic heat spacers to limit engine heat transfer.

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just got a new tune today from Whipple for IAT 2. I had to swap plugs on the back of the blower also.
Does it now show the IAT2 on the dash or are you monitoring it on a ngauge? Is this a recent update from Whipple?

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Does it now show the IAT2 on the dash or are you monitoring it on a ngauge? Is this a recent update from Whipple?
Haven't looked for a reading on the dash, just did the tune. It came in email last Saturday from Lebanon Ford. Feels like 40 more horses to me but I could be exaggerating.

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Haven't looked for a reading on the dash, just did the tune. It came in email last Saturday from Lebanon Ford. Feels like 40 more horses to me but I could be exaggerating.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you got a new tune from Whipple to be able to monitor IAT2.
Sponsored