Sponsored

Door panels vibration at 80mph?

mcbagpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 401A
An update to my continuing pursuit of the rattle/buzz in my '17 GTPP. My next area to check was the passenger door, wondering if the vapour barrier might be rattling off the speaker wire or something similar. My wife was driving with me in the car this weekend so I had her try to isolate where the sound was coming from. She was certain it was coming from the glove box as opposed to the door, but very close to the door.

I tried putting some foam tape between the vent tube on the door and where it meets the side of the dash. It seems like the rubber on the door side is pretty stiff and might have been rattling against the side of the dash. Turns out that didn't solve the rattle...

I took apart the dash trim that runs from the passenger side to the driver side, including the dash side covers on the passenger side so I could have a look around. Couldn't see anything that was obvious but a few of the connectors behind the glove box seemed like they could contact each other which would result in a plastic on plastic rattle. I placed some foam tape between them and then continued to remove the trim around the door sill and the passenger foot well to look around. When I went to reinstall the foot well trim the fuse panel door kind of fell off and was hanging there. Turns out the door to the fuse panel is a slotted plastic (no push pins or clips) that just slides together and therefore can rattle. The location made sense as the rattle would have carried up in front of the glove box and near the door. I decided to leave the fuse panel door off and went for a drive...couldn't produce the rattle!

Now, in addition to removing the panel door I did add a few pieces of foam tape anywhere I found connectors that were close to other plastic or metal surfaces either behind the glove box or in the passenger foot well and fuse box. I'm going to re-install the panel door again and see if that generates the rattle, if so then I've found the culprit...in my case at least.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
I have the same problem. But its right after I got my Pillar gauge installed =( annoying

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have the same problem. But its right after I got my Pillar gauge installed =( annoying

My pillar did the same thing after I installed it. I took it off and put some CLD tiles on the inside, basically the same as dynamat. Especially around where the wires touched, as I think that's what was vibrating. Haven't heard it since!

Still hear plenty of other rattles though lol

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
My pillar did the same thing after I installed it. I took it off and put some CLD tiles on the inside, basically the same as dynamat. Especially around where the wires touched, as I think that's what was vibrating. Haven't heard it since!

Still hear plenty of other rattles though lol
Hey man great idea. Thanks so much will try this out. ugh modding lol :cheers:
Sponsored