Sponsored

TSB 15-0144- CLIMATE CONTROLLED SEATS - LACK OF COOLING - FRONT SEAT BACKREST

Jus4Kix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium 6MT in Guard Metallic
Parts were just ordered for mine when I had it in for the stalling issue. As others have said, I didn't even know the seat backs were supposed to cool, i thought it was butt cooling only (and thought that was ridiculous, as having your butt cooled while the back stays warm just makes it feel like you sat on a wet seat). Thanks to this forum I now know better, and hopefully the TSB will fix the issue
Sponsored

mustangman101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premuim
So I thought I had the same issue as everyone here, until I read up on how the seat back cooling part works. The seat backs use the air from inside the car to cool them. If the interior is not cool, neither will the seat backs be. Let the car interior cool down first then turn them on.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I thought I had the same issue as everyone here, until I read up on how the seat back cooling part works. The seat backs use the air from inside the car to cool them. If the interior is not cool, neither will the seat backs be. Let the car interior cool down first then turn them on.
The seat backs have an active cooling device (TED) just like the seat bottoms. But the the TED in the seat back doesn't cool well, or not at all and puts out more hot air than cool air. It's not just a fan that circulated cool cabin air.

mustangman101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premuim
The seat backs have an active cooling device (TED) just like the seat bottoms. But the the TED in the seat back doesn't cool well, or not at all and puts out more hot air than cool air. It's not just a fan that circulated cool cabin air.
They must have changed it for the 16 and 17 MY then. If not then try doing what I said....you'll see that method works to get the seat backs cooling instead of being hot or doing nothing

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They must have changed it for the 16 and 17 MY then. If not then try doing what I said....you'll see that method works to get the seat backs cooling instead of being hot or doing nothing
All S550 Mustangs have a TED unit in the seat bottom and one in the seat back. If you think there isn't supposed to be an active cooler unit in the seat back, then you're mistaken. There have been many threads on the seat cooling issue. Sure, if you set the AC to certain settings it may help the seat backs perform a little better ... doesn't work for everyone though.

Read this 100+ page thread ... it explains everything.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23384

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Both of my upper seat back blower motors were just replaced under this TSB. I initially had my Ford Service Center check out the driver seat, they confirmed operational issues and ended up replacing both seat back motors under warranty.
IMG_6161.JPG

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Bringing up an old thread but I noticed the same thing on my 2018 GT as well. The bottom cools fine but the back is not cooling at all? Is there a TSB for the 2018 as well? Anyone else having issues with their 2018 seat back not cooling?

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Bringing up an old thread but I noticed the same thing on my 2018 GT as well. The bottom cools fine but the back is not cooling at all? Is there a TSB for the 2018 as well? Anyone else having issues with their 2018 seat back not cooling?
Just a bad design that they didn't change even after the TSB. My seat back doesn't cool at all.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is just sad to hear [MENTION=32719]tranceporter[/MENTION]

One would hope that a car with a 47K MSRP would not have such silly issues.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I can say that the upper and lower heating AND cooling works extremely well in my 2018, so much so that I leave the setting on the first bar/click. I can clearly hear the fans operating and when fan speed selection changes occur - where unlike my prior 2016, I couldn’t even tell if they were working.

I would have your Service Dept. check:
1) Are any harnesses loose or not connected
2) Is the TED getting power
3) Do they need to up the fan speed within the As Built coding. I say this because there was a TSB out for the Lincolns last year (which I had posted in that other linked thread here), where the Service Dept. has to modify the As Built code to update the TED fan speeds.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can say that the upper and lower heating AND cooling works extremely well in my 2018, so much so that I leave the setting on the first bar/click. I can clearly hear the fans operating and when fan speed selection changes occur - where unlike my prior 2016, I couldn’t even tell if they were working.

3) Do they need to up the fan speed within the As Built coding. I say this because there was a TSB our for the Lincolns last year (which I had posted in that other linked thread here), where the Service Dept. has to modify the As Built code to update the TED fan speeds.
Thank you for the insight. I have not yet gone by for a test drive but I was curious if this had been remedied in the 18s.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

3) Do they need to up the fan speed within the As Built coding. I say this because there was a TSB out for the Lincolns last year (which I had posted in that other linked thread here), where the Service Dept. has to modify the As Built code to update the TED fan speeds.
Thanks. I will surely mention this to the service department. The heating works really well for both seats (bottom and back). The cooling on the other hand is not working for the back side at all but the bottom is icy cool.
Sponsored