Sponsored

Does it make sense to pulley down a Paxton and short shift?

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Does it make sense to buy a Paxton kit with a 3.6 pulley with the intent of enjoying more boost at lower rpm street driving and short shifting as opposed to a kit with a 3.8 pulley? I'm talking like 6800-7000 rpm max.
Not really wanting the high boost of a drag car (and the detonation risk) just looking to get more down low as I have read the Paxton is a bit doggy down low with the 3.8.
Has anyone ordered the 3.6 pulley with this in mind or am I talking non sense?
Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Well, there's the option of dropping a pulley size on the blower making it come into boost a lot sooner but bleeding off the extra boost with a BOV of some sort.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Not really, these motors are meant to spin. Also, since it is a centri you will drop in Boost every gear change. I would suggest doing a smaller pulley and going with a wastegate so you can let the coyote stretch its legs and you are at a safe Boost level.

But I do believe there are plenty of folks on here running a 3.6 with nonwastagte so I am sure you will be fine. But if you run up against another Paxton car that is running higher up the power band you will get walked.

If you really want down low grunt pick up a VMP or whipple. That will give you the kick you are looking for for sure. They are a lot of fun all over the powerband.

OP
OP
raycer

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'll probably just do the Vortech wit 3.6. Probably will be perfect, but some of these Paxton cars are bad ass.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Waste gated Paxton seems to be the way to go in the centri world

Sponsored

Orange5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I've got a wastegate for sale, all you'll need is a 3.33 pulley and a gates belt.