Sponsored

CCB Front Rotors, Talk Me Out of It

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ha, what a nice way for a vendor to treat another forum member. I'll remember that.
Honestly though. He's right. You were just being wrong there.

The guy has his heart set on them. That's why he wanted us to "talk him out of it."

He's weighing pro and con with a big pro being how he feels about them. So every time someone posts s reason why not, he has a reason why.

He wants them. But doesn't want to regret it.

Seems simple enough.

Not trying to be rude, but your post was not helpful.
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Honestly though. He's right. You were just being wrong there.

The guy has his heart set on them. That's why he wanted us to "talk him out of it."

He's weighing pro and con with a big pro being how he feels about them. So every time someone posts s reason why not, he has a reason why.

He wants them. But doesn't want to regret it.

Seems simple enough.

Not trying to be rude, but your post was not helpful.
After reading about his GT3 it looks like he ordered it with CCB purely for looks.

Since this is why he wants it on his 350 then it's like talking someone out of painting their car a color they prefer.

It's personal preference, so if you look at it from a visual stand point only, there is nothing for us to "talk him out of". The only downside is cost, which is not an issue at hand.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
After reading about his GT3 it looks like he ordered it with CCB purely for looks.

Since this is why he wants it on his 350 then it's like talking someone out of painting their car a color they prefer.

It's personal preference, so if you look at it from a visual stand point only, there is nothing for us to "talk him out of". The only downside is cost, which is not an issue at hand.
I see where you're coming from. But maybe you're taking "Talk Me Out of It" too literally. I interpret that saying as an invitation to brainstorm ideas and wanting to hear constructive negatives.

OP
OP
Money2536

Money2536

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT350

I decided several years ago, I wasn't going to be afraid of the "forum bully."
I'm just going to post what I think is interesting and deal with the eventual neigh saying. My hunch was largely right in that there are always others that may have a similar question. What else would you buy CCBs for other than for looks, dust, extreme long life, lack of maintenance, and reduction in rotational mass? They aren't practical for track use due to the cost.

I would have never chosen to pony up the cash on my GT3, but I didn't order/build the car. Mine became available, and it had them. Once you have them on your street car, it's extremely hard to go back.

After such a great experience on my GT3, I optioned them on my M3 that was replaced by this car. Now living my my GT350 with 4,000 miles and the extreme mess the brakes make, I'm wishing I had CCBs on the car.

If it's a viable option to simply swap rotors with minimal issues, it might be a decent option for $5000. Theoretically with regular pad swaps, CCB rotors would last the life of the car.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I decided several years ago, I wasn't going to be afraid of the "forum bully."
I'm just going to post what I think is interesting and deal with the eventual neigh saying. My hunch was largely right in that there are always others that may have a similar question. What else would you buy CCBs for other than for looks, dust, extreme long life, lack of maintenance, and reduction in rotational mass? They aren't practical for track use due to the cost.

I would have never chosen to pony up the cash on my GT3, but I didn't order/build the car. Mine became available, and it had them. Once you have them on your street car, it's extremely hard to go back.

After such a great experience on my GT3, I optioned them on my M3 that was replaced by this car. Now living my my GT350 with 4,000 miles and the extreme mess the brakes make, I'm wishing I had CCBs on the car.

If it's a viable option to simply swap rotors with minimal issues, it might be a decent option for $5000. Theoretically with regular pad swaps, CCB rotors would last the life of the car.
Not trying to be a bully however it seems that you have your mind made up. Cost is the biggest con/negative about CCB rotors and is really the only downside, other than being fragile.

Since your car isn't seeing track use which could cause cracking under certain circumstances and you more than likely wouldn't be swapping wheels frequently heightening the chance of chipping a rotor on accident then go for it.

Throwing these discs on with oem pads won't solve your dust issues however. I'd look at low dust pads if that was your main concern before changing the discs as the discs are not causing the majority of the dust.

At this time I don't know of any low dust pads available for the GT350.

GLOC, Carbotech and Ferodo all spew out dust so I'd stay away from those.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Money2536

Money2536

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT350
Not trying to be a bully however it seems that you have your mind made up. Cost is the biggest con/negative about CCB rotors and is really the only downside, other than being fragile.

Since your car isn't seeing track use which could cause cracking under certain circumstances and you more than likely wouldn't be swapping wheels frequently heightening the chance of chipping a rotor on accident then go for it.

Throwing these discs on with oem pads won't solve your dust issues however. I'd look at low dust pads if that was your main concern before changing the discs as the discs are not causing the majority of the dust.

At this time I don't know of any low dust pads available for the GT350.

GLOC, Carbotech and Ferodo all spew out dust so I'd stay away from those.
I was under the impression that a CCB rotor would require a different pad material. My GT3 and M3 had virtually no dust. There is a metallic build up that tends to collect around the dust plate and clips on the caliper that tend to squeak when built up. A simple spray with the hose tends to clean it up.

They really are remarkable. I joke about only wanting it for looks, but I feel like they are so much more than just looks. The whole package is of value to me. $5000 worth of value? I'm still a bit unsure.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I was under the impression that a CCB rotor would require a different pad material. My GT3 and M3 had virtually no dust. There is a metallic build up that tends to collect around the dust plate and clips on the caliper that tend to squeak when built up. A simple spray with the hose tends to clean it up.

They really are remarkable. I joke about only wanting it for looks, but I feel like they are so much more than just looks. The whole package is of value to me. $5000 worth of value? I'm still a bit unsure.
And that's the problem. It works as a package.

Your Porsche and M3 worked since the discs and pads were a put together as a system.

If I were you and were ready to pull the trigger I'd call RB and ask for reccomended pads.

Brembo might have a pad for this car.

I've heard that the Enzo has the same pad shape as the GT350 for the fronts.

Since the Enzo did have carbon brakes the pads from that car would work with what you are trying to do.

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
I'll be a buyer when rears are available. I'm not interested in a mixed matched set of cc and iron rotors.
Will the addition of these (fronts only, obviously) throw off the brake bias?

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So, F1 is wrong?
Dude

F1 cars are hitting 200 corner after corner. They use CCB because they need to be able to remove eat extremely quickly. They also need to work in a smaller temperature range say 800-1000.

That's where they work at their best. They work horribly in the rain and in cold temperatures.

If you ever drive a car equipped with CCB compared to the same car with two piece discs you'll see that the initial bite when cold is gone on the CCB.

2 piece setups have a much wider range, they work in low temps as well as higher temps.

A CCB setup for a weekend car is light years away from a F1 car using them

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
Dude

F1 cars are hitting 200 corner after corner. They use CCB because they need to be able to remove eat extremely quickly. They also need to work in a smaller temperature range say 800-1000.

That's where they work at their best. They work horribly in the rain and in cold temperatures.

If you ever drive a car equipped with CCB compared to the same car with two piece discs you'll see that the initial bite when cold is gone on the CCB.

2 piece setups have a much wider range, they work in low temps as well as higher temps.

A CCB setup for a weekend car is light years away from a F1 car using them
my turbo S has PCCB

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
My GT3 has PCCB. Brakes work as normal after only one hard brake. I love that they don't dust and make the car lighter. I have driven identical GT3's with iron rotors and you can feel a difference in braking and handling.
Sponsored