My Whipple Build

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Talked to Kelly at BMR, he was spot on with tire pressure. Lowered it to 16.5 pre-burnout. Car hooked, never shook. Made one pass to get a log.

10.60 @ 135 with 1.61 60'

No other changes to the car except a tune revision. I have rear Vikings and M/T 305 "R" DR's sitting here. Wiring ran for boost gauge and IAT2, just need to wait for it to cool off and wire on the interior side.
Sponsored

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Been traveling a lot for work and fly out tomorrow. Back in 12 days. I've been bit (maybe I was bit a long time ago). I want my 9 second pass. It's a disease I'm not sure I want to be cured of.

Reached out to Circle D and spoke with Brian. Also spoke with Ken B. We all agreed on
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Circle D's 6R80 Pro Series Stage III 258mm 2C. Should stall around 3200.

When speaking with Ken, he felt confident that I could go from the 4.0" pulley to the 3.5" pulley. 3.5" pulley + converter, along with the shocks and new tires...fucker better go 9.999.
[/FONT]

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Converter showed up last Monday. I just got home a couple of hours ago. Making the 400 mile trek to the car tomorrow. Hope to put the converter in Sunday/through the week as I'm able (on-call so time may be a challenge).

Traveling in two weeks for work, then surgery. Next race isn't until Oct 30th. I may drag the car out of town before then (like next Friday).

Couple of things on my mind if anyone has any opinions.

1) Car has run a best of 10.60, if tires/shocks are worth a tenth and converter is worth two tenths. 3 tenths in the 60' is 6 tenths in the top end...does it go 9.999 with the big pulley? Maybe all these things aren't worth 3 tenths...That 10.60 was also bouncing off the rev limiter on the 1/2 shift...

2) Fall is near. I'm considering putting C-85 in the car as I think winter-blend is near. I'm gonna reach out to some locals to see if anyone has tested/recommendations on places that are still pumping the good stuff. Has anyone ran/tested E-85 this late in the year?

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Converter is in. Updated tune from Ken is in. It rained last night, so roads are damp and cold. Need to get a data log for him hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow. I fly back to CA next week and then surgery the following week. Next race is end of October and first week of November.

Also put the shocks on and the new tires on. Ready to go!

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Wouldn't be my car if it didn't fight me to the end.

First pass was a shit show, tire shake, car getting sideways, went 141 MPH with a 3.03 60'
Second pass, still a shit show but less of a shit show, went 142 MPH with a 3.43 60'
Was able to reach out to someone who has been there, done that, got the 9 second slip. Talked about things.

Third pass, brought it up on the converter about 2,000 (instead of his recommended 1700). Also dropped pressure down to 16psi. Car still spun, but no shake.

1.56 60' 10.27 @ 139.97

They were having problems with the tree, they staged us 3 times. After that, they closed the lanes.

No 9's this year unless I drag it to Tulsa or Dallas.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Awesome car! What fuel and what pulley combo for the 140mph passes?
Car has been ran exclusively on pump E-85 since the Whipple install. 20% damper. 3.5" pulley for the 141-142 passes. Also 2c converter from Circle D really woke the car up.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
What's going on with the car man?!? Have you had it back to the track???

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What's going on with the car man?!? Have you had it back to the track???
Car came out of storage for the first time yesterday since September of last year.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna pull it out at all. I did for a local car show since my '40 wasn't ready for the show.

I don't know if I'm gonna race. The "local" track has a sand pit next to it and when the wind blows, it puts sand on the track. Talked to a racer at the show yesterday and he said his 14 second car got squirrelly and he wasn't sure he was gonna race anymore.

I may drag it to Tulsa or OKC, but car doesn't fit well on the trailer I've got today (car's too low and fenders aren't removable).

I have also thought about selling the car. I never wanted to be one of those people who sells all their shit to buy land or a house, but I want land to build a shop on -- and having the cash would be nice. Who knows.

I'll update the thread should anything change, but right now, between work and family health issues, racing isn't really something I think much about.

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well car is out. Oil changed. Torque checked on things. Welds back on it.

Need to get the 93 out and E-85 in, run a tank through it. Race tomorrow night.

This will be on the big 4" pulley. Gonna back off for the summer and see if the car won't live a while longer.

Don't think it has a 9 in it with the big pulley.

Went 10.70 with 4" Pulley. Went 10.27 with 3.5" pulley. The 10.27 was spinning through the first two gears, so if the car hooks, maybe it'll 60' worth a shit.

Not sure if I'll make a full pass. Gonna play with launch techniques, burn out duration and the like. Looking for that infamous 1.4x 60'.

Sponsored
OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Went out last night. Total shit show. Ambient was ~87*. IAT at the starting line (from the dash) said 122*.

Made 4 passes. First 3 were 1/8th mile.

Best 60' of the night was a 1.79
Only 1/4 mile pass was 11.000 @ 132 with a 1.94 60'

I did end up setting the shocks to 6c/10r and tire shake went away, but still _zero_ traction. Car just spins for the better part of the 330'.

Ordered a trailer on Thursday. Should be here 4-6 weeks. I'll travel out of the area and hope for a better track.

OP
OP

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Got a set of Baer brakes front and rear coming. Hopefully have them on the car in a few weeks.
Got them on today. Easy peasy. Probably a little over a hour to do both front & back. Spent more time f'n with the e-brake stuff than installing the actual brakes.

They're loud. Be a bit before I make it to a track to test them out. Definitely looking forward to the weight savings.

http://imgur.com/a/RusGn << a couple of pics.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
those look really good! How do you like the new brakes??? I've been thinking about adding them over the winter on mine.
Sponsored