Sponsored

83 reviews without one V6!

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB DD V6 w UltraGripICE THULE Chains
Am I seeing something that's not there? The V6 seems like the Goldilocks just right!

We want four season driver this time, we have enjoyed a garage Queen GT before but it seem like it owned us.

ANYONE else thinking V6 is just right? Where are the V6 reviews?

Thank you,

DeColores
Sponsored

OP
OP

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hope being in the 6 area we could do this without all the rental remarks, and should have got a V8 remarks.

Why are some of us attracted to the V6?

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hope being in the 6 area we could do this without all the rental remarks, and should have got a V8 remarks.
^ Why this? No one's even said anything yet, or were you just anticipating remarks?

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
I think Sal was just pointing out that someone already started a thread with the same subject.

You obviously have not been absorbing all info, as it has been stated several times that FORD purposely did not have any V6's for the test drives as they wanted to highlight the new Ecoboost and probably wanted to avoid comparisons of it and the V6.

I am in the V6 Mustang camp and have been since 1994 and over 440,000 miles of driving (1994, 1998, 2004, and my current 2011). All have had a Manual and have been my year-round daily driven car (400 mi/wk). Each one was an improvement from the previous one and all had cloth interiors until the 2011. In order to get the content I wanted (Shaker 500, SYNC, Drivers Seat Lumbar, & Auto-Dimming Mirror were mandatory), I was forced to buy a premium with Leather and the MCA (or Pony) package for the 18" wheels & UHPA/S Tires. The MCA/Pony pkg. was mandatory in order to get the HID headlamps, so since I was this far I got this option too.

Now jump to 2015 ... a base V6 with 051A has all these required features except for the Shaker 500 sound system. However, it has sooooo much more content that my 2011 Premium did not have. All this for over $2500 LESS than what I paid for my 2011 back in May 2010 !!

My 2011 V6 is the QUICKEST / PLUS gets the best mileage of any vehicle I've ever owned (O/A average since new is over 30.3 MPG). It is even quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 1969 Mustang I've had since 1981 and it is no slouch ... built 351W 4BBL / 4-Speed 3.50:1 T-Lok that gets around 10 MPG.

I am however torn between the V6 and EB ... if the EB really gets better MPG's in the "real world" and has more low end torque than the V6, I'll spend the extra $480 and get a base EB with the 641 optional 18" wheels (invoice cost difference over base V6 w/ 051A).

Anyway ... the V6 reviews will come eventually, you just need to be patient !!

Doug

Sponsored

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Ford Media chose the "safe" path by not allowing early comparisons between it 3.7 V6 and its new darling the EB 2.3 I4. Why chance having any "negativity" possibly favoring the 3.7 V6 at the Debutante Ball. The GT 5.0 V8 stands as King of the Mountain, why risk having the V6 being fawned over the EB Turbo I4? Smart marketing by Ford.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Doug, that's exactly what I was pointing out.
Not sure what all that V8/rental car stuff was about but like Phil & Doug said, there are no reviews because Ford wanted it that way, plain and simple. Magazines generally only review cars that are given to them by manufactures. John Davis isn't gonna go out and buy a V6 to test.

Now jump to 2015 ... a base V6 with 051A has all these required features except for the Shaker 500 sound system. However, it has sooooo much more content that my 2011 Premium did not have. All this for over $2500 LESS than what I paid for my 2011 back in May 2010 !!
Yes, the 51A is probably the best V6 Mustang ever made, just happened to coincide with the debut of the EB and fell in its shadow.

trublie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT500, 2015 Ruby Red Mustang V-6
Daily Driver

Am I seeing something that's not there? The V6 seems like the Goldilocks just right!

We want four season driver this time, we have enjoyed a garage Queen GT before but it seem like it owned us.

ANYONE else thinking V6 is just right? Where are the V6 reviews?

Thank you,

DeColores
Great question. Personally, I am intrigued by the whole eco-boost line, but since I have not test driven the new I-4 Turbo, and its long term performance is not available, I elected to order a proven V-6. I wanted a simple, efficient daily driver with automatic transmission, now. Eco-boost, maybe later? We'll see.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
As a fan of V6's in general, I think it is clear that Ford does not want to have a V6 Mustang in their lineup at all. It makes sense from a MPG perspective, as the smaller turbos do much better in the EPA testing.

The biggest difference between the N/A V6 and the EB4 will be in how they feel and the sounds they make. I believe the raw performance between the two (and the MPG) will slightly favor the EB, but not by a huge amount.

The EB looks like it has a great low end, and will feel much stronger in daily driving because of it. There will also be some lag and you'll have that surge of acceleration as the boost builds.

The V6 will feel weaker down low, but I think will sound much better and will rev more freely due to pulling strongly to redline. Personally, I'd prefer the V6 over the EB due to those subjective qualities.

I do think the EB will have excellent fuel economy, as long as you drive it at a low RPM and utilize the torque. I drive my GTI at 2500 RPM or less almost exclusively (except for rare bursts of speed when traffic and the roads permit), and am able to get 33 MPG in my mostly highway commute. I suspect that the EB4 could be similar if driven with care.

In my 350Z I get about 25 MPG in the same roads. It's much more difficult to drive easily because the engine is much more fun to REV and sounds much better. It is therefore more difficult to keep the revs down. I suspect the Mustang will be a bit better on FE than the Z due to taller gearing, but knowing my driving style I'd expect maybe 28 MPG.

In any event, I do wish Ford had made the V6 more prominent in the lineup (allowing the premium and performance packages for example), but I understand why they aren't.

If I were to get a Mustang, I'd be skipping the EB and going directly to the GT. If you don't really need the premium or the performance packages, then I think the V6 is an excellent choice.

-T

OP
OP

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone, all of your post have been wonderfully helpful.

What if Ford is hoping to sell as many of the V6 as they can before they are tested? I know crazy. Most likely they are protecting the i4.

DeColores

I

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I know someone who drove the V6 and the ecoboost. He told me the V6 was surprisingly good with the IRS vs the 2014 and he would take it over the EB unless you want the premium package.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
if the EB really gets better MPG's in the "real world" and has more low end torque than the V6, I'll spend the extra $480 and get a base EB with the 641 optional 18" wheels (invoice cost difference over base V6 w/ 051A).
Really? How much does the 641 option cost for EB?

I thought a V6 manual with 051A is about $500 cheaper than a base EB manual. With 641, EB must cost even more.

sdch1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Some countries aren't even getting the 2015 V6 imported. Funny how lots of reviews were giving props to the '13 and '14 V6, but since the EB is out now sentiment seems to be a bit more negative towards the V6.

trublie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT500, 2015 Ruby Red Mustang V-6
V-6 / EB Comparo

I know someone who drove the V6 and the ecoboost. He told me the V6 was surprisingly good with the IRS vs the 2014 and he would take it over the EB unless you want the premium package.
Now that is very reassuring and extremely helpful information.
If only a leather interior option, sirius satellite radio and automatic A/C were available to us in the V-6, Ford would have a real winner in my book.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Now that is very reassuring and extremely helpful information.
If only a leather interior option, sirius satellite radio and automatic A/C were available to us in the V-6, Ford would have a real winner in my book.
Im curious about how easy it would be to add these aftermarket by just buying the ford parts.

It is definitely annoying that a premium v6 was not offered and we all know why...it would steal lots of EB sales.
Sponsored