Sponsored

Installing the ROUSH rear Valence with Quad tips on a Base bumper

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
I'm planning on tackling this over the weekend. I had the MMD stick on which failed at my last track outing. The failure trashed my lower bumper section. I'm either cutting the cancer out with this mod or purchasing a new premium and going RTR. But looking at the install this looks pretty straight forward.

[MENTION=15109]rvlyssup[/MENTION] any additional tips or recommendations?

-CMY
2017-09-08 21.18.19 (Medium).jpg
Sponsored

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
Is it possible to convert my Borla SType into quad tip?

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
I'm planning on tackling this over the weekend. I had the MMD stick on which failed at my last track outing. The failure trashed my lower bumper section. I'm either cutting the cancer out with this mod or purchasing a new premium and going RTR. But looking at the install this looks pretty straight forward.

[MENTION=15109]rvlyssup[/MENTION] any additional tips or recommendations?

-CMY
I too had the MMD diffuser which was a fail for me as well, took mine off when in started to shear at the 2 mounting points. I also have a brand new premium bumper & RTRish setup sitting in my garage ready for paint when I came across the MMD unit. Looks like I have a few parts to sell in the upcoming weeks.

Only thing one gets apprehensive about is when and where to cut. Again best combo is a Dremel with a drill bit, a cutting wheel gets gummed up and puts unnecessary load on the tool causing a hard to control and overloaded hot Dremel. Once you start cutting and find out how easy it is, it'll be cake going forward.

Do not apply the ROUSH template behind the bumper, (like on the videos) follow exactly what OP did, place it on the painted side. There really are no markings behind the bumper to place the template upon. Make sure the bottom line of the template is flush with the bottom of the step (where it starts to curve down) on the bumper. Use a tailors / seamstress tape measure to make sure the template is centered. (equal on each side) Measure 4x, quadruple check that, and drill your holes.

The 13 3/16" holes are pretty straightforward. The 2 1/4" holes at the ends will be a little tricky. Base bumper don't have the angle right like the premiums on that bend in the bumper. Use the holes you drilled out to eyeball the placement of the correct angled holes for the 2 studs on each end. (which means you'll be drilling 2x on each side) The first hole you drill (as per the template placement) will be your guide as to where to drill the 2nd holes. The ROUSH side valance pieces will fit perfectly, I cut 2 slots for 2 tabs (the ones facing toward the rear of the car when mounted) to hold the pieces in place. I used 3m extreme double sided tape to further secure them to the bumper. Trim a little of the ends of the inner wheel well cover so the lining fits behind the lip of the valance pieces. Everything else should line up for the push pins and hardware.

Take your time with it, and have fun. In all honesty, it's pretty hard to mess up the install. :cheers:

Last edited:

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too had the MMD diffuser which was a fail for me as well, took mine off when in started to shear at the 2 mounting points. I also have a brand new premium bumper & RTRish setup sitting in my garage ready for paint when I came across the MMD unit. Looks like I have a few parts to sell in the upcoming weeks.

Only thing one gets apprehensive about is when and where to cut. Again best combo is a Dremel with a drill bit, a cutting wheel gets gummed up and puts unnecessary load on the tool causing a hard to control and overloaded hot Dremel. Once you start cutting and find out how easy it is, it'll be cake going forward.

Do not apply the ROUSH template behind the bumper, (like on the videos) follow exactly what OP did, place it on the painted side. There really are no markings behind the bumper to place the template upon. Make sure the bottom line of the template is flush with the bottom of the step (where it starts to curve down) on the bumper. Use a tailors / seamstress tape measure to make sure the template is centered. (equal on each side) Measure 4x, quadruple check that, and drill your holes.

The 13 3/16" holes are pretty straightforward. The 2 1/4" holes at the ends will be a little tricky. Base bumper don't have the angle right like the premiums on that bend in the bumper. Use the holes you drilled out to eyeball the placement of the correct angled holes for the 2 studs on each end. (which means you'll be drilling 2x on each side) The first hole you drill (as per the template placement) will be your guide as to where to drill the 2nd holes. The ROUSH side valance pieces will fit perfectly, I cut 2 slots for 2 tabs (the ones facing toward the rear of the car when mounted) to hold the pieces in place. I used 3m extreme double sided tape to further secure them to the bumper. Trim a little of the ends of the inner wheel well cover so the lining fits behind the lip of the valance pieces. Everything else should line up for the push pins and hardware.

Take your time with it, and have fun. In all honesty, it's pretty hard to mess up the install. :cheers:
Did you cut out the old reflector area or around it? Looks like there is a mounting location that could be used just below that area.

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Did you cut out the old reflector area or around it? Looks like there is a mounting location that could be used just below that area.
The entire portion on the base bumper where the reflectors are mounted on needs to all come off.

Basically look at the bump, (area which separates the upper and lower portions of the bumper) above it is the channel for the upper portion of the bumper and below that is the lower part of the bumper, measure below that line of the bottom channel itself about an inch and cut off everything below. Do it in sections if unsure, use the ROUSH valance to gauge how much more to trim, if at all any as it may be the final cut / trimming needed. Only place the paper template after your trimming is done. You'll see what I mean when also using the valance as an impromptu template.

Wished you were close...I'd love to help ya out. :cheers:

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me start with a big thanks for the help and this thread to get me to attempt this. However, this mod totally sucked for me. Took me all day...I did take my time and was successful, but it was not easy. After I got it all back together I realized I forgot to hook the wiring harness up behind the bumper cover...so off it came one more time.

Here are a couple pics. I will post more tomorrow.
IMG_1184 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1187 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1168 (Medium).JPG

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Let me start with a big thanks for the help and this thread to get me to attempt this. However, this mod totally sucked for me. Took me all day...I did take my time and was successful, but it was not easy. After I got it all back together I realized I forgot to hook the wiring harness up behind the bumper cover...so off it came one more time.

Here are a couple pics. I will post more tomorrow.
Looks great...well worth the effort IMHO. Also didn't realize that yours too is Magnetic Metallic. :headbang:

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Thanks. Driver side came out mint. Pass side not so happy with.
Ah...I see the difference in gap...no way to adjust the valance piece? Main valance looks spot on in the pics...

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah...I see the difference in gap...no way to adjust the valance piece? Main valance looks spot on in the pics...
Nope...I think the gap is there because when I drilled my holes I may have been slightly more to the left making driver side perfect causing the pass side to stretch the gap. If I was a little further to the right I think the gap would have been more balanced and not noticeable.

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took a couple more pics today and from this angle it looks like my pipes are hanging kind of low. Does anyone else's look like this?
DSC_0861 (Medium).JPG

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Nope...I think the gap is there because when I drilled my holes I may have been slightly more to the left making driver side perfect causing the pass side to stretch the gap. If I was a little further to the right I think the gap would have been more balanced and not noticeable.
You can probably elongate the holes and move the valance just a smidgen...you'll have to pull off everything and reapply 3m tape. Readjust the side valance pieces while the bumper is off the car, secure them so they don't move, and remove the backing off the 3m tape off the main valance and tighten the screws. I know it's a PITA to yank everything off but it should be a lot easier the 2nd time...just my .02.

Took a couple more pics today and from this angle it looks like my pipes are hanging kind of low. Does anyone else's look like this?
Although mine is tucked up higher, I don't see anything wrong with yours. I also only installed the axle-back, and still running the MRT H...if yours is the complete catback, how the whole systems sits up on the car may be a little different.

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Thinking of doing this soon but I don't to drop a ton of money on a new exhaust so I think Ill get another set of roush tips that match my axle backs and and have my exhaust guy fab something up for the quad tips.
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 1.52.45 AM.png
Sponsored