Sponsored

Wireless charging idea

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Since i'm a big iPhone fan, yesterday while watching the keynote Tim Cook mentioned wireless charging being so helpful these days especially in cars (i know other companies had them first, so save me the hassle)...

anyways, since we have the front USB port right in top of the coin holder tray i thought of an after market tray that will work as a wireless charging pad such as this

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1d08cIVXXXXbfXVXXq6xXFXXXC/Qi-Wireless-Car-Charger-Pad-Silicone-Non-slip-Transmitter-Charging-Mat-Holder-Cradle-Bracket-For-Samsung.jpg

what do you guys think?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on the location of the coil on the back of the phone and whether it can (safely) sit on the pad at that spot in the car. If it's angled in there (my phone doesn't lay flat in the coin holder tray and I doubt anyone else's would), it probably won't make a good contact to charge between. If both are kinda just laying in there, it might work but if you move/turn too fast it'll fly in to the footwell areas.

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
I have one in my Tahoe and it has never worked correctly. Also, it's funny Apple had to turn to a "innovation" that Samsung has had out for 3 years. But the sheeple love their Iphones!

Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
How can you even get a phone to stay there? I had to use a Command strip to keep my WiFi hotspot there, otherwise it flew around when I would do some "spirited" driving.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Can't use Carplay without being plugged into USB so what is the point of wireless charging?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
the camaro has the option from the factory, thats pretty cool, but its in a useless spot behind the console. Your better off buying an android for all reasons lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It all depends on the location of the coil on the back of the phone and whether it can (safely) sit on the pad at that spot in the car. If it's angled in there (my phone doesn't lay flat in the coin holder tray and I doubt anyone else's would), it probably won't make a good contact to charge between. If both are kinda just laying in there, it might work but if you move/turn too fast it'll fly in to the footwell areas.
Other possible place would be the center console. https://www.amazon.com/Brandmotion-FDMC-1222-Mustang-Wireless-Charging/dp/B00W4BK2AQ http://www.brandmotion.com/docs/FDMC-1222II1.pdf

The factory USB won't have enough juice to power a wireless charger.
There is also a cigarette lighter to the other side of the USB port.

How can you even get a phone to stay there? I had to use a Command strip to keep my WiFi hotspot there, otherwise it flew around when I would do some "spirited" driving.
Perhaps an aftermarket 3D printed custom elevated pad will do (kinda sitting flush with shifter trim) so that the adapter will occupy the space under the pad itself

Can't use Carplay without being plugged into USB so what is the point of wireless charging?
I’m usually using Bluetooth (just for music or sometimes calls) so won’t really need the CarPlay or AA for that matter.
The idea is to get in -> put on tray to charge -> pick it when you get out…..no cables
I have one in my Tahoe and it has never worked correctly. Also, it's funny Apple had to turn to a "innovation" that Samsung has had out for 3 years. But the sheeple love their Iphones!
the camaro has the option from the factory, thats pretty cool, but its in a useless spot behind the console. Your better off buying an android for all reasons lol
Many cars come with it from factory. Unfortunately, ours don’t :/
But what’s the point of getting an android? The point here is adding wireless charger to the car regardless of the phone brand

Generally, it’s an idea to add some sort of ease since some of us spend long time in their cars.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase

Please don't pay $175 for wireless charging. If anything since that one goes in to the center console and won't be seen, you can buy a large pad and cut some wood/plastic to the shape of the console and cut a hole in it to house the pad securely then put your phone on it. That's about what they did, but should come out wayyyyy cheaper.

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please don't pay $175 for wireless charging. If anything since that one goes in to the center console and won't be seen, you can buy a large pad and cut some wood/plastic to the shape of the console and cut a hole in it to house the pad securely then put your phone on it. That's about what they did, but should come out wayyyyy cheaper.

Surely I won't buy it with this ridiculous price. And I encourage others not to buy it as well.
I just showed it as an example.
I could relate to this high price cuz it's the only one in the market.

However, I'd like to mention that although wireless charging is already in the market, 3rd party accessories manufacturers are hugely influenced by Apple products, and since they released wireless charging now, I expect to see more wireless charging pads / mats for the car in the near future.
Sponsored