Sponsored

Harrys Lap Timer VS VIRB 30 Ultra VS Racechrono

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Screw it, I just got RaceChrono and Harry's and will try them this weekend at Gridlife. Tons of time in-between sessions to figure these apps out and fool with video. Only 4 sessions per day given all the activities. Maybe you'll see me on some YouTube videos - you know, with the usual DSLR cinematic techno music intro and blurred-out drifting cars.

So which did you like better?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So which did you like better?
At Road Atlanta...

Harry's rarely worked and was clearly put together by a German who made it far too complicated and not user friendly. Won't use it again. It either wouldn't start tracking laps (instead considering the entire session one lap) or tracked just one lap or didn't even start tracking laps. Also, it would not start recording soon enough and by the time it did, my GoPro would turn off for lack of any recording happening and wouldn't turn back on by command from Harry's.

RaceChrono worked great but doesn't connect (with iPhones) to BT OBD units apparently, so I'll have to get a WiFi OBD unit.

I had issues with TrackAddict at this track as well. Same camera issue as Harry's laptimer. Even when plugged in, the GoPro will basically turn off if it is not recording. I have to leave the GoPro app in preview mode to get it to stay on until I'm ready and that seems to screw with the apps.

Really pissed off.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So what if GoPro sync is not a priority? Which did better as a lap timer, data acquisition solution?

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I use Racechrono and it always works flawlessly for me. I do not connect to a camera though, and use Dashware to do the video later.

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
Ok so im attending my second HPDE and from reading through all this looks like there are multiple solutions depending on what you want to accomplish in the end. I found out about Harry's after my last event after it was over, so i don't have any data. Anyways my question.

I'm handy enough with video and figuring out software to combine footage. So what is the best way app to say capture data track lap times and speeds, (with an OBD if possible to track throttle and brake input). And maybe using the app to capture basic footage for syncing purposes on other camera inputs. I currently don't have any go pros this is something im working getting before anyways. But it seems that most these apps have issues syncing or starting recording. I'd rather just not worry about this and press record on the device manually and get figure the rest out later.

So any recommendations would like to beable to review my footage to improve but also share.

thanks in advance, the nerd in me wants as much info as possible.

Sponsored

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Racechrono you can select channels you want to capture (OBD)

Harrys laptimer for me is too finky. Racechrono also has a 7 day trial. You will need an external GPS
Is there a particular OBD you recommend or whatever racechrono recommends.

want to make sure i have all the hardware i need to capture the right data. And im assuming your using the app camera to record the footage.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Though some of the knock offs might work.

What data in particular?

Yeah that was captured with my phone my go pro was set to low light mode .:mad:.
Basically what you had in the vid is what i was looking for data wise. does it record brake input or any other accelerometer besides lateral. Pretty much what you have data wise. I would like to be able to use Racerender or program like that to customize the video for when i share but. I'll look in that obd.

Thanks again

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So any recommendations would like to beable to review my footage to improve but also share.

thanks in advance, the nerd in me wants as much info as possible.
I'd still go with Aim Solo for the data (get the 'DL' version if you want to be able to embed OBDII-sourced data). I don't know how the SmartyCam setups work, but it's easy enough to use GoPro for the video and combine the Aim data into it using RaceRender. RR has a couple of synchronizing tools that can't be all that hard to use if I can stumble through them and get the video and the data close to being sync'ed.

That said, for only your second track day ever I'm going to urge you to hold off a bit on the data. There is some risk that you'll focus on lap times rather than the driving itself and end up over-driving here and there in an attempt to set a new PB. "Red mist" comes in several flavors.

Recording video by itself is one thing, where you'll be able to see how well you're doing with respect to the line and other traffic. Add the data side later, when "following the racing line" (more like a qualifying line, actually) comes more naturally. Very few people instinctively follow such a line in their street driving at legal/reasonable speeds (obviously this needs to be within the limits of lane width), and they make all sorts of other errors (early turn-in, riding the brakes past the apex, etc.).

Norm

Sponsored

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yeah looking more to capture data for review not necessarily in the moment if that makes sense so I can better idea of where I need improvement, honestly laptime is just numbers showing improvement I want it for logging. If no screen/phone was visible in front of me I'd be just as happy. Again more for review and not live data feed. Oh and I've been well informed about the red mist from a friend who is an instructor. I will also look into those devices/apps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So the consensus is that Harry's sucks? I'm wanting something that will just use my phone's (S8) camera/GPS and throw some track data over it.

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
For the $40 you spend on Harrys you get your moneys worth. I used it for two years and was happy with it until I saw something better. The downside to Harrys is the platform its running on. The iPhones 1hz GPS refresh rate is not granular enough for high speed data acquisition or tight autocross course recording. The reason i switched to the Garmin was to get its 20hz refresh rate and better video. After playing with the Garmin this summer it's downfall is the data that was collected is in a fit file that I can't seem to access using other than the Garmin software. So over the winter I need to come up with a data solution or if that makes my head hurt too much then I'm looking into adding in a Aim solo DL. If I was smart I would cut my losses now and put in a dedicated system.

lizardman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
Vehicle Showcase
gpx file

Garmin VIRB Ultra: Playing around with the Garmin software today: After you export a video a nice friendly gpx file is also created.:doh: Both the video and gpx file import easily in RaceRender. There may be hope for the Garmin.
Sponsored