S550 Coilovers

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
What's the point of these kits on UK roads? I drive on a lot of rural A and B roads and the standard UK PP kit is on the choppy side. I actually think the Mustang needs more damping and better control rather than more firmness!
Exactly. Good quality coilovers will give you better more controlled damping, even if they are firmer. I know the GT86 platform well, and can tell you that the stock suspension is pretty supple, but the damping is harsh. A good set of coilovers transforms the car with a firmer ride but less of a crashy ride.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I have read that Pedders are a branch of BC coilovers, which in my experience in the world of the GT86 are, at best, troublesome!!

I know KW are great on the quality front, but are they pricing their kit on their laurels??

I currently have Tein flex something or other on my GT86 and love em to bits. I really like being able to change ride height without changing spring preload. The Ohlins Street kits also allow this but are way overpriced as they are also made in Taiwan but have the Ohlins name attached to them.

If Pedders really are that good I will get them, (Sorry Nemesis), but I need some convincing!!

Trust me the other car being an M3, BC are also regarded as the cheap option, basically they have issues, pretty poor dampening on the road, but OK on track.

The M3 boys who have tried several hold Intrax as the best setup followed by KW. :)

I do however think the Pedders are a bit of an exception, that even though built by BC they are built by them to a higher specification set by Pedders.

For the money they are good, but for me I am a snob and like to stick to proven suspension and all I can say is the KW for Mustang is superb on both road and track.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not convinced yet. For me the pp dampers with BMR springs are a good match. They could do with a fraction more compression damping at the back if being picky. But for the road on a 2 ton gt car, they seem good enough. It ain’t a caterham and it never will be!

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Nige

I have kw v3, rear lock out kit and eibach roll bars

Great bit of kit and on the back lanes around Winchester are superb.

A big investment yes, but learnt my lesson with the s197 buy cheap buy twice

Love the adjustment on the kw ride height plus damping etc.

Well worth the money and if you sell take them off etc

Frpp kit just not up too it and peddlers I can’t comment on. There are deals to be had on kw just need to ring around

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have pedders,steeda sway bars,bmr lock out and front chassis brace.Ive had my pedders on for about 10000 miles now and all i can say is they have made the car.They may be made by BC but i haven't heard a squeek or thump from them since fitting,and ive got kwv3's brand new sitting in the garage (present) i dont feel the need to change them.

Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
KW offers vastly improved damping and much superior body control.

In short when it comes to S550 suspension and stance the short list should be:
- BMR CB005
- KW coilovers
- Steeda rear top mounts.

That is all you need to make these cars handle and ride nice. Of course for aesthetics new wheels or wheel spacers finish the look of. :)
So what would the ballpark figure be for buying and fitting the above?

Cheers

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
- KW Clubsports: Firm but vastly more compliance which resulted in better ride quality and with the Steeda rear top mounts the body control and any rear jittyness/float was completely eliminated.
Hey Gibbo what springs did you run with the KWs?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I test drove a couple of stock GTs this weekend and boy what a day and night difference they were to my own KW V3 equipped car. Expensive yes, but well worth it.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
If you really want to go balls to the wall for the best, aren't bilsteins and ohlins the "god tier" of coilovers? ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
If you really want to go balls to the wall for the best, aren't bilsteins and ohlins the "god tier" of coilovers? ;)
They are good, but certainly in the case of Ohlins Road and Track they are overpriced. I had them on my GT 86 and thought they were good, but not really awesome.
I now have Teins on that car and it just great!! The Tein flex z set up is probably the best budget coilovers out there, or is it flexA??

To be honest, I'm steering towards the Pedders, basically because they are less than half the price of the V3's and other than the corrosion protection possibly as good for what I really need?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
They are good, but certainly in the case of Ohlins Road and Track they are overpriced. I had them on my GT 86 and thought they were good, but not really awesome.
I now have Teins on that car and it just great!! The Tein flex z set up is probably the best budget coilovers out there, or is it flexA??

To be honest, I'm steering towards the Pedders, basically because they are less than half the price of the V3's and other than the corrosion protection possibly as good for what I really need?
To be honest from speaking to the guys, they admitted corrosion was something that used to occur, but with new treatments and QA it doesn't happen anymore, but if it does they have the warranty for it.

Other than my weird clunks im sourcing the issue on, they're brilliant. :thumbsup:

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Other than my weird clunks im sourcing the issue on, they're brilliant. :thumbsup:
As you've checked the suspension several times over, are you 100% sure the clunks aren't drivetrain related (apologies if someone's already said that... I'm just being too lazy to scan back on this one)?

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
This is a good thread and good to see and hear everyone's comments and reviews.

Suspension is a bit of a minefield unless you have a lot of experience with different brands for the same vehicle and driven them, playing and testing all settings where adjustable.

We still very much rate KW and is the preferred choice however not having had any experience with the Pedders I cannot comment to their performance and the rate of ware and tear on our UK roads but they do seem to currently be gaining in popularity with the likes of CJ Pony and American Muscle now selling them and getting good reviews by owners currently using them on the road and all appear to currently be happy.

Providing they are serviced yearly cleaning,loosening and re-tightening the collars and checking / greasing the top mounts so they don't seize then they should last and keep in good condition. We will have to wait and see what happens after the 2 year warranty to the availability of replacement parts and servicing. With most reputable coilover brands you can purchase rebuild / overhaul parts separately so hopefully this will be the same with pedders too.

We will look to add these to our website and stock as another option to the range. As with every ones comments and reason for going with the from a price point of view they are hard to ignore.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
As you've checked the suspension several times over, are you 100% sure the clunks aren't drivetrain related (apologies if someone's already said that... I'm just being too lazy to scan back on this one)?
Well it's only when i go over bumps. When i drive normally it's okay.
Sponsored