350 vs 350R?

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Which One?

Which one - well, what are you going to do with this toy and how are you going to use it? Are you one of a relatively few people who can effectively take advantage of the performance differences between this car? Is this just a purchase to impress others? Honestly, how will the car be used? Do you think that 25 years from now you will cash in big time because it is an "R?" All very personal decisions for each us.

In my case, this toy will be in my garage 90+ percent of the time and 90+% of the rest of the time it will be on the street where you cannot come close to utilizing the capabilities of either car. And, now well into my 60's, whatever track skills I had cannot be at the same level as they were decades ago....just a fact. And being my age, I could care less what differences in value these two cars will have in the market place in 2042, as I will either be dead or at least not driving (unlike some folks I see around here!).

If I could have bought an R with a convenience package at MSRP, I might have done it, but Rs don't come that way, and none I saw nearly two months ago were less than 12k over MSRP. The standard Recaros do not blend well with folks who have football knees or a lower spinal fusion, no matter how HWP they might be. And the R tires are extremely high wear, street marginal rubber - so even at MSRP, not sure I would have bought it. And it is nice to have air conditioned seats, even in northern FL. :thumbsup:

All that said, the one area of disappointment for me was finding out that Ford put 31 lb boat anchor wheels on the GT350 when they could have easily sourced wheels 5-6lbs lighter on a mass purchase, for not that much more money. Just my opinion, but I don't think this was just about pinching pennies, but also a way to exacerbate the improvements brought by the insanely expensive 18 lb carbon fiber wheels on the R. The market is awash with true forged aluminum wheels running 21-23 lbs, which is a huge rotational mass reduction from the stockers. Add a set of Michelin PS 4S tires and you will minimize performance difference with the Sport Cup tires without suffering the severe wear and weather limitations of those track specials. I had a conversation with a lead Ford aftermarket performance supplier who told me that running the lighter wheels will be perfectly fine. And no, I will not have the precise shock tuning or front springs of the "R" but as previously mentioned - realistically I am no longer a good enough driver to take advantage of those.

So, whatever you choose, it's the right choice for you and just go out and enjoy the hell out of it. That's what I am going to do - especially after making a few changes. :cheers:
Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have a R...love it and would recommend it to anyone. If you don't plan to track it, doesn't really make sense to get the R due to the tires. I'm ordering wheels and tires for the street which will make it more street friendly (the sport cups catch and throw rocks like crazy...makes me cringe).

Having something special and somewhat rare is appealing to me, which makes the R attractive. I think the R spoiler, wheels and red calipers set the car off!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
If you can find an R at a price you are willing to pay, and don’t mind the larger splitter and wing, and are willing to have the R-comp tires and fancy wheels, then definitely go for the R. If you can’t find one at the right price, or if those other considerations are too daunting to work around, then the regular GT350 is still an awesome car. With lightweight wheels and stickier tires, it will come closer to the R in performance as well. Still won’t be an R though.

-T

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
If you have to ask the question, then perhaps the GT350 (non-R) is the car for you? There are so many factors to consider that are very personal, starting with affording the extra $ for the R all the way to actually being able to utilize the extra performance, and whether it makes sense for you (how many cars do you have, will you get to a track, are you thinking long term ownership vs short term, etc.)

That being said, I bought a GT350 and thought it was going to satisfy me, and after owning one for just a few months started looking for an R. I'd love to do a poll to see how many R owners are former GT350 owners that realized after ownership that they had to have an R? Sure there are plenty of GT350 owners that are more than happy, and they should be, but only you can really decide.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 GT350
an R would be pretty damn cool but I didnt want to go through the agony of talking to dealer after dealer to find one at a reasonable price. with the build coming to an end and less and less being available i think this will not get any easier, something to consider in your decision as well

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There’s not a single honest person here that would take a non R over a R if the prices were the same. So all the talk about non purchase price reasons to get one or the other are justifications for making financial decisions.

The thought about whether R owners can get the performance out of an R vs non R could be applied to GT vs GT350, GT vs non GT, Mustang vs Miata... same goes for streetability, running costs, basically nearly every argument/thought you’ll encounter in this and other similar threads.

What car do u want, regardless of rationale? What car can you afford? Does it make sense to YOU to do so? That’s all that needs answering here.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The carbon wheels. That’s the only significant, out of practical reach between the two. I wish I had those wheels from the factory, but I don’t. The rest of the differences are very minor, save the tires, but if I wanted racing slicks they are readily available.

Now, if the R came with the 580hp Aluminator 5.2XS engine, that’d be a different story.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Choose, but choose wisely, for the true car will bring you life, the false car will take it from you.

[ame]

Last edited:

Front Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Get the one that you want and can afford.

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
As others have said, which one provides the options you want, (I.e. which do you prefer), and what can you afford?

The R has real advantages, but nothing that can’t be compensated for by upgrading the non-R. However, unless you are a really advanced driver, both exceed most casual drivers’ skill ceiling. Plus, both are overkill on the street (if we were talking pure practicality of street driving, we would all be in a Prius).

In the end, only you can decide if the differences between the models is worth the cost difference.

Personally, I have a R, knowing that it will not be tracked often, or driven to the highest level, because I fell in love with the look of the R with black and red stripes compared to the base model, and it is essentially my dream car. It may not be my last sports car, but I also plan to have it for several years at least (I have had my daily driver for nearly 11 years).

Sponsored

OSUbrew

Beach Bum
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I plan on getting a base GT350. I really love the red accents of the R since I want a black one, but I also plan on modding the car and I wouldn't want to kill the value of the R.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
There’s not a single honest person here that would take a non R over a R if the prices were the same. So all the talk about non purchase price reasons to get one or the other are justifications for making financial decisions.

The thought about whether R owners can get the performance out of an R vs non R could be applied to GT vs GT350, GT vs non GT, Mustang vs Miata... same goes for streetability, running costs, basically nearly every argument/thought you’ll encounter in this and other similar threads.

What car do u want, regardless of rationale? What car can you afford? Does it make sense to YOU to do so? That’s all that needs answering here.
Well, I am not single (married LoL) but I am honest about the fact that for me, taking the non-R was was predicated mainly on other criteria - as explained in my prior post. First, I could not literally live with the only available R option seat - the Recaros. With football damage to one knee and the lower back issue referenced earlier, it was extremely uncomfortable getting out and over those seats bolsters. Not something I could ever accept doing on a regular basis. And the tires - I had those Sport Cups on one of my Vettes, lived with their steady spray of rock shrapnel, the EXTREMELY limited tread life, and the thrills and chills of driving with these painted on tread tires in heavy rains. Yep - and Florida has been known to have some of those. :lol:

So, in my case, purchase assumptions based upon purely financial reasons are erroneous. I am willing to bet there are other folks out there who also made their decision on other than strictly financial considerations.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, I am not single (married LoL) but I am honest about the fact that for me, taking the non-R was was predicated mainly on other criteria - as explained in my prior post. First, I could not literally live with the only available R option seat - the Recaros. With football damage to one knee and the lower back issue referenced earlier, it was extremely uncomfortable getting out and over those seats bolsters. Not something I could ever accept doing on a regular basis. And the tires - I had those Sport Cups on one of my Vettes, lived with their steady spray of rock shrapnel, the EXTREMELY limited tread life, and the thrills and chills of driving with these painted on tread tires in heavy rains. Yep - and Florida has been known to have some of those. :lol:

So, in my case, purchase assumptions based upon purely financial reasons are erroneous. I am willing to bet there are other folks out there who also made their decision on other than strictly financial considerations.
I hear what you’re saying. I just dont see you or anyone else saying “nah give me the non-r for the same price”. Maybe - sure I’ll take that R and swap tires, seats and add the rear seat... but I have a hard time believing if a salesperson handed u the keys to an R and said “complimentary upgrade” when u went to take delivery of your non R you’d say “nah my knee and those troublesome tires”.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I agree, I can easily afford an R even with the ridiculous ADM. But I would never pay more than msrp, and even doing that wasn’t something I’ve ever done before until now.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I hear what you’re saying. I just dont see you or anyone else saying “nah give me the non-r for the same price”. Maybe - sure I’ll take that R and swap tires, seats and add the rear seat... but I have a hard time believing if a salesperson handed u the keys to an R and said “complimentary upgrade” when u went to take delivery of your non R you’d say “nah my knee and those troublesome tires”.
“Same price” would mean the R would be discounted well below msrp. Hell yeah, I’d take it. I’d pull the race tires off immediately and replace with non R tires and enjoy the steal.
Sponsored