Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
It didn't help that the picture that leaked out back then was a red base model EcoBoost, not a great first impression.
This is also a thing for the 18 too. First leaked images and the video of the yellow GT PP with ne real contrasts and stupid angles really made the car look ugly. But now with time better pictures and videos are coming up and I understand what Ford is heading for and I like it.

But I get your point. I also though Ford will change just minor things like adding LED headlights or doing their boomerang tribar thing. But the complete new facia is a huge change of the S550 design. The GT350 was imho a perfect design, stealing a few cues from it would have create a run on the facelift, that's for sure.

But I actually prefer having new looks instead of keeping the same car over and over again. I really didn't buy a 6th Gen camaro and a S550 instead because it looked way too similiar to the MY2014 facelift :)
Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
It gets old after awhile.

Yeah personal preference, but it's like going up to someones car and saying you hate the color.
Sometimes it's best to shut up.
It is a Mustang after all!:ford:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I didn't have to warm up to the S197, that's why I've owned three of them. I'm still trying to warm up to the s550 and the 2018 is upping
the temperature a little.
IMHO, if you have to warm up....it's not the car for you. It's a pricey item to not be certain on.

The front end is not turning everyone off.

You may feel one shouldn't have to 'warm-up' to a design - and that is perfectly valid, but bottom line is that this does happen.

Happens to all kinds of things in life - once the initial shock of the change gives way to more rational observation/thought.

Even withing this thread there seem to be pages of cycles. Front end sucks | now that I've seen better pictures/or in person - I do like it | front end sucks | is actually kind of refined | front end sucks
The front end is the biggest complaint. I don't hear anyone complaining about extra power, torque, magnaride, better tires, better interior etc. Sure, there are those that aren't keen on the direct injection...but those are people that have or plan on modding their current S550 to have far more power.

Obviously, in life sometimes you have to settle, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. If I had not already purchased a 16GTPP, I'd have to decide on buying a 17GTPP or trading a front end that I'm not keen on for the extra goodies. Quite honestly, I'm not totally certain which I would chose....which is my point. If Ford hit a home run, the 18 should be my choice hands down.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The front end is not turning everyone off.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74320&highlight=2018+poll

You may feel one shouldn't have to 'warm-up' to a design - and that is perfectly valid, but bottom line is that this does happen.

Happens to all kinds of things in life - once the initial shock of the change gives way to more rational observation/thought.

Even withing this thread there seem to be pages of cycles. Front end sucks | now that I've seen better pictures/or in person - I do like it | front end sucks | is actually kind of refined | front end sucks
This.

It cracks me up when people post they don't like the '18, and just assume the rest of the world feels the same way. We can all find info that shows some people who like it and some that don't but it's not scientific and we have no way of knowing what the real numbers are.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The front end is the biggest complaint. I don't hear anyone complaining about extra power, torque, n.
Oh you just wait until the numbers are released. Unless they hit 490-500hp, there will be complaints from some. :)

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This.

It cracks me up when people post they don't like the '18, and just assume the rest of the world feels the same way. We can all find info that shows some people who like it and some that don't but it's not scientific and we have no way of knowing what the real numbers are.
I don't think anyone is assuming everyone dislikes the 18. I think it is however interesting that people are making decisions to pick up a 17 over the 18 due to their disdain for the new front end. They are choosing less HP, less TQ and losing a slew of other refinements over their viewpoints. That right there shows me Ford could have done better.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Oh you just wait until the numbers are released. Unless they hit 490-500hp, there will be complaints from some. :)
HAHA, yeah...some will be pissed if it "only" is released with 460HP. Those people need to buy a supercharger and shut their trap.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
I don't think anyone is assuming everyone dislikes the 18. I think it is however interesting that people are making decisions to pick up a 17 over the 18 due to their disdain for the new front end. They are choosing less HP, less TQ and losing a slew of other refinements over their viewpoints. That right there shows me Ford could have done better.
Because people are cheap and looking for projects.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Because people are cheap and looking for projects.
Cheap people buy foxbodies for project cars. For most, a $30k+ S550 is not a project.

The people that were on the fence with MY18 on this forum have by far and large been concerned about the new front end.

Again, Ford doesn't care, as most that wanted an S550 have already gotten one. They are trying to get those that weren't quite happy with the air craft carrier hood, interior, lack of options etc.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Emotional decisions usually end up in remorse. Give it a year and they will be trading up.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Emotional decisions usually end up in remorse. Give it a year and they will be trading up.
Unless you have origins from the planet Vulcan, all decisions have some basis dealing with emotions....otherwise, we would all be driving turds that only get us from point A to point B. We buy things to fit our personality, to make us feel good...to inspire.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Unless you have origins from the planet Vulcan, all decisions have some basis dealing with emotions....otherwise, we would all be driving turds that only get us from point A to point B. We buy things to fit our personality, to make us feel good...to inspire.
Well, to many people, Mustangs are turds. So that's not completetely false...

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Cheap people buy foxbodies for project cars. For most, a $30k+ S550 is not a project.

The people that were on the fence with MY18 on this forum have by far and large been concerned about the new front end.

Again, Ford doesn't care, as most that wanted an S550 have already gotten one. They are trying to get those that weren't quite happy with the air craft carrier hood, interior, lack of options etc.
Speak for yourself. In Texas, big expensive trucks are quite normal. 50-70k etc. So GT's aren't necessarily expensive purchases. Cost of living is one of the lowest in the country in many parts of Texas and despite the turndown in O&G, if you work in that industry whether it be in the office or the field you're making plenty.

IMO just like some enthusiast buy cheap 4 cylinder cars and put 20k into them there are next level car enthusiasts who buy 8 cylinder vehicles to put 20k into. Then you have your high-end enthusiasts who buy exotics 100k+ vehicles and mod. GT's are priced at roughly the average price of a vehicle in the united states so on the money end its nothing special.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry, when I read "The front end is what is turning everyone off," I thought the implication was that it was turning everyone off. :D I've seen other comments about how sales are going to tank, etc., so in context, I think it's easy to see how a comment like that might be interpreted to mean everyone dislikes it.

Some people are choosing to buy the 17 and giving up those things to do it, but I'll bet the same thing happened when the S550 first came out, and some people liked the S197 better. Tastes are varied, and as has been pointed out, many of the comments made about the '18 were made about the '15. I guess Ford could have done a better job there too, right? Seriously, no design is going to please everyone, so the fact that some don't like it doesn't mean Ford could had done a better job - at most, it means that Ford could have done a better job to please those specific people.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Personally I like the new front end over the current. Coming from a 2014 Black GT that looked mean as hell I always thought the S550 looked a little soft. Good looking car and I do like it, just not for me. I could see the direction Ford was taking the Mustang (away from muscle car more towards sports car) and I was all for it but it wasn't quite there for me. They're was just to much mishmash trying to combine old school muscle looks with new sports car looks. To me the 2018 gets rid of more of the muscle car and adds more sports car. Maybe its my age or my opinion that the Mustang was never really a muscle car to begin with. It was a pony car and still should be treated as such. A sports car that has the option for a nice powerful V8.

I don't think anyone is wrong for thinking the current S550 is a great looking car. It is. I do think that many people are judging the refresh to harshly, and should wait until you see it in person.
Sponsored