Sponsored

Velgen VMB5 rims (Or any comparible Velgen)... Still TRACKABLE?

DRKHR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6-spd OW PP
I am in love with the Velgen VMB5 rims. Not excited about biting the price bullet.. but im always willing to buy the best to complete my car.

In saying this... the thing I hated most about my last mustang was DOUBLE PURCHASING rims! Worst thing ever was going for looks and not overall scope and performance. Long story short.. ordered 20's and a thin-ner tire ( cant remember the size...) but it rode so "Harsh" and made "Thuds" and whatnot over every pothole and train track around. (And I was only 20 years old then... not an old timer complaining of "harsh-ness".. it was obviously "unhealthy" for the vehicle in general) *I build my cars to track and enjoy... I don't mind a lil harsh-er ride.

I could tell this was not healthy or "track-able" (all out speed and turns... no limits)... and sold them for a loss and picked up Steeda "Pentar" 18 X 9.5's square set up; with 285/40 Nitto 555's all around.

Never had another problem or "slam" or "thud" again. I also tracked the rim and tire combo both drag and twisties and never had a worry in the world.

QUESTION BECOMES.... Are the VMB5 staggered set-up in 20's trackable?!

Basically asking... can I push it as hard as I want. Drags and Twisties. With no worries about the strength and performance of the rim? Tire size to be paired with will be 305/35's from either toyo or Nitto. Similar if not identical set-up to user KHYBER and ASHPIAN. (and I did ask Khyber already in PM's... he just doesn't plan on tracking his ride)

I ask because I know Velgen also offers a 19 inch staggered set-up as well.. but im unsure if those even fit around the Performance package Brembo brakes that ive got.

*** Anyone who has experience putting Velgen rims to the test... please chime in!!***
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Im not sure 100% about the Velgen wheels, but I can chime in on what you want to aim for a Rotory forged wheel would be the best bet. It is lighter and stronger then its cast counterparts which means you reduce unsprung weight and you increase strength, drivability, durability, handling and overall performance with the proper wheel and tire combination.

For instance giving a comparable design i know that the 19" CF5V can be done in a wide fitment for the vehicle to be used for track and drag, and I know alot of my members who have picked up the wheels have used them on the track and autoX and drag and have loved them as well as not have any issues with them.

As for tire combinations it goes down to are you looking to run square or staggered

OP
OP

DRKHR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Had squared set-up on the old stang and loved it... but don't really need to lean to one side or the other. Im already staggered as I sit now on PP rims and tires. So... staggered or not will not break my decision making process.

So... I believe I gathered... the Velgen is cast-ted? And rotary forged is best for performance?

Why are a cast rim more expensive than a "better for performance" method?

hmmm

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
From my knowledge yes the Velgen are a low pressure cast wheel, it really comes down to brand and such for price point to be honest.

Pricing wise their both in the same price range the Forgestar are one of the most competitively priced rotory forged wheels on the market.

The reason why I stated square or staggered is for a few reasons.

1. For rotatable reasons
2. tire selection and pricing on tires

OP
OP

DRKHR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely would love to be squared for the benefits behind it... but willing to be staggered for the "oh my god that makes me drool" effect!!

hahaha

To your point of it coming down to price point and brand.... I am all invested in and interested in the VMB5... but again.. have to make the wise decision to get something I am less enthusiastic about if someone qualified tells me itd be a mistake for the limits I take my car to.

Looks wise... Velgen VMB5's
(to me... Khyber and Ashpian's cars' are pure SEX with that rim and tire... I almost have blinders on to anything else - looks wise)

Practicality and avoiding of double rim purchase... (Hopefully) Velgen VMB5's

ugh... the effort and time we put into these cars ;) hahaha

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
Definitely would love to be squared for the benefits behind it... but willing to be staggered for the "oh my god that makes me drool" effect!!

hahaha

To your point of it coming down to price point and brand.... I am all invested in and interested in the VMB5... but again.. have to make the wise decision to get something I am less enthusiastic about if someone qualified tells me itd be a mistake for the limits I take my car to.

Looks wise... Velgen VMB5's
(to me... Khyber and Ashpian's cars' are pure SEX with that rim and tire... I almost have blinders on to anything else - looks wise)

Practicality and avoiding of double rim purchase... (Hopefully) Velgen VMB5's

ugh... the effort and time we put into these cars ;) hahaha
LOL trust me I know the pain my daily/showcar is going back under the knife for a all new front, new upgraded BC coilover extremes with upgraded spring rates, new lights, redoing the wheels on the car for a very custom forged look, and getting the whole care liquid wrapped as well.

its a pain in the rear but I would never trade modding a car for anything as a hobby except going to the shooting range lol cuz Im a gun junky also ( except CA is the worst place to live if you are a gun guy)

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am in love with the Velgen VMB5 rims. Not excited about biting the price bullet.. but im always willing to buy the best to complete my car.

In saying this... the thing I hated most about my last mustang was DOUBLE PURCHASING rims! Worst thing ever was going for looks and not overall scope and performance. Long story short.. ordered 20's and a thin-ner tire ( cant remember the size...) but it rode so "Harsh" and made "Thuds" and whatnot over every pothole and train track around. (And I was only 20 years old then... not an old timer complaining of "harsh-ness".. it was obviously "unhealthy" for the vehicle in general) *I build my cars to track and enjoy... I don't mind a lil harsh-er ride.

I could tell this was not healthy or "track-able" (all out speed and turns... no limits)... and sold them for a loss and picked up Steeda "Pentar" 18 X 9.5's square set up; with 285/40 Nitto 555's all around.

Never had another problem or "slam" or "thud" again. I also tracked the rim and tire combo both drag and twisties and never had a worry in the world.

Basically asking... can I push it as hard as I want. Drags and Twisties. With no worries about the strength and performance of the rim? Tire size to be paired with will be 305/35's from either toyo or Nitto. Similar if not identical set-up to user KHYBER and ASHPIAN. (and I did ask Khyber already in PM's... he just doesn't plan on tracking his ride)

I ask because I know Velgen also offers a 19 inch staggered set-up as well.. but im unsure if those even fit around the Performance package Brembo brakes that ive got.

*** Anyone who has experience putting Velgen rims to the test... please chime in!!***

Let me help you out here. We don't market our wheels for track use , however we have CJ Pony Parts who has Autocross there GT with our wheels , We have multiple S197 with Twin Turbo over 800HP with out wheels for over 2 yrs with out a issue. We have another S197 Grabber Blue 600+Hp who runs her car every weekend.
We have S550 " Owner of Late Model Restoration " Roush Supercharger. Please see below a few images i have listed for you.
I have listed a video for you on how our wheel's are made and we offer a 5 year Warranty on our wheels with a LIFE TIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY.

[ame]

[ame]

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
The Velgens will have absolutely zero issues running on a track. We have a few customers that regularly track their cars in both the 19's and 20's.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

I'm running the VMB5's in 20's staggered, absolutely love them! Scott's a good guy and will take care of you and is more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
DRKHR5

DO IT!!!

Sponsored

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

And you could run the 19'' VMB5 with out a problem with the PP brakes :headbang:

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The Velgen wheels will hold up to what your doing with no issues. Like everything else.. long as your in control!!

Velgens FTW!

OP
OP

DRKHR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sweet... this is all what i needed to hear! haha thanks to everyone.

19's with a fatty tire/sidewall for cushion set-up will be what i probably go with.

Velgen... any possiblility you have pictures of a s550 on the 19?!?! hopefulllly!

Pulling the trigger soon!

OP
OP

DRKHR5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL trust me I know the pain my daily/showcar is going back under the knife for a all new front, new upgraded BC coilover extremes with upgraded spring rates, new lights, redoing the wheels on the car for a very custom forged look, and getting the whole care liquid wrapped as well.

its a pain in the rear but I would never trade modding a car for anything as a hobby except going to the shooting range lol cuz Im a gun junky also ( except CA is the worst place to live if you are a gun guy)
Gotta love guns alongside cars and trucks!

I am holding off on the suspension game until i see all these available set-ups and whats best for tracking and everything. I cant wait to see your set-up.

I assume for performace, quality, and tracking i will end up on coil-overs as well!

Thanks for everything!
Sponsored