Sponsored

2016 Mustang GT vs. 2016 Focus RS?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Recently I started a thread where I asked for a matchup between the STI and the Stang GT. Everyone said it was no contest, the GT would stomp the STI.

But can the same be said for the RS?

0-60 times on paper seem near identical. Similar 1/4mi.

Something else I'm looking at is turning the power up. Can that be easily done with no additional equipment and just a tune in the RS or does it come from the factory pretty much as fast as it's gonna go without some major money being poured into it?

Other than the AWD and much more practical interior...which are two VERY big advantages....I'm not really attracted to the RS. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought and experienced.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
Didn't Car and Driver tested the Focus RS to be about low to mid 13's? http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-rs

Two different platforms.. the RS should focus on the GTI's, STI's, Golf's, 370Z's, etc. since they're pretty much the same platform. If they made the focus RS to be faster than their legendary Mustang GT, I would be disgusted.

A N/A V8 shouldn't lose to a 4 banger turbo stock for stock.

I would say with equal drivers, the GT will beat the RS by a few tenths which means by a few cars. Hope I'm not wrong and I better not be wrong.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
So far the US Focus RS's have been dynoing under-powered so I am not sure if it would even be close.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Stock vs stock again not much of a contest. Turbo cars see huge gains from bolt on mods compared to NA cars. So that advantage can be equaled or beat with simple mods like a tune, down pipe and a bigger inter cooler. Just like with the STI thread. I see why people would want a 4 door all wheel drive sporty car.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock vs stock again not much of a contest. Turbo cars see huge gains from bolt on mods compared to NA cars. So that advantage can be equaled or beat with simple mods like a tune, down pipe and a bigger inter cooler. Just like with the STI thread. I see why people would want a 4 door all wheel drive sporty car.
So with a simple tune...what sort of increases in power could be seen with the RS?

What about ease of repairs under the hood compared to a Mustang? Harder and more expensive or mainly the same tools?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So with a simple tune...what sort of increases in power could be seen with the RS?

What about ease of repairs under the hood compared to a Mustang? Harder and more expensive or mainly the same tools?

Thanks

-Emt1581
You should gain 30 wheel HP from a tune no problem. Probably more. It's also probably easier to work on as far as under hood components go compared to the tight confines of the Mustang.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
You could have 50+ hp and up and maybe 100+ tq like the Ecoboost and Focus ST with a tune

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Didn't Car and Driver tested the Focus RS to be about low to mid 13's? http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-rs

Two different platforms.. the RS should focus on the GTI's, STI's, Golf's, 370Z's, etc. since they're pretty much the same platform. If they made the focus RS to be faster than their legendary Mustang GT, I would be disgusted.

I would say with equal drivers, the GT will beat the RS by a few tenths which means by a few cars. Hope I'm not wrong and I better not be wrong.
While not with the Focus, this has happened in the past. The Ford Taurus SHO at one point back in the 90's was faster than the Mustang GT.

I don't see them doing that again. Although, I think the Focus RS is a fantastic car in it's own niche for Ford. I'd love one.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While not with the Focus, this has happened in the past. The Ford Taurus SHO at one point back in the 90's was faster than the Mustang GT.

I don't see them doing that again. Although, I think the Focus RS is a fantastic car in it's own niche for Ford. I'd love one.
Interesting. See I might love to have one, especially for it's handling/AWD/ease of maintenance and according to what blue beast said...ease of power increase.

However, absolutely nothing else about it would be enjoyable for me where the GT excels.

My opinion of downsides I see with the RS:

Interior sucks and is pretty much what you'd find in any compact car.

Exterior looks...( see above). But I know this is a MAJOR plus to some that get off on the sleeper effect which this car nails.

Costs more than a Mustang GT with Performance pack if the prices on cars.com are at all realistic.

I haven't tested an RS yet but I can only imagine the ride quality is much harsher than the GT and I believe it has a setting to increase that harshness if you really have a grudge against your fillings and balls.

So personally, I don't see myself ending up with an RS over a GT. But the AWD and power capabilities are certainly impressive.

-Emt1581

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Costs more than a Mustang GT with Performance pack if the prices on cars.com are at all realistic.
This is the big one for me. Why would I want to pay more for an RS than for a GT? AWD is a draw, but other than that...

It was the same with the FoST and FiST - pricing is pretty high for what you get compared to the base cars and compared to other vehicles with similar performance. I'm interested, but for $5k to $7k less.

Sponsored

GuardDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gaurd GTPP
Some turbo 4 motors take to simple bolt ons amazingly but that doesn't seem to be the case with the ecoboost motors. My old 2009 Cobalt SS turbo, rated at 260hp, gained 60 whp from an intake, catless down pipe and tune. 295whp on a 95* day. It looks like the ecoboost mustang guys are lucky to make that with more mods. That being said I think the rs version will closely resemble the mustang ecoboost and ultimately let us down. GT > RS anyday.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Not necessarily. Turbo 4 cylinders can have as much or more power than a NA V8. Look when the Evo and STi first hit the U.S. Mustangs during that time had 260 hp. Evo and STi had 271 and 300 respectively, had sub 5 second to 60 and ran high 12's to low 13's.
Only thing with Japanese manufacturers is they don't increase power, they remain the same for a long time. The STi has been in the 300 hp range for over a decade.

Bubbachunks

Forever Ford!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millenium Falcon
When I was shopping for my GT the dealer that sold me my Focus SE told me they were getting 3 RS's. At that point they had no buyers lined up yet.
I was sooooo tempted!:eyebulge:

But....I love my GT!!! :ford:

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some turbo 4 motors take to simple bolt ons amazingly but that doesn't seem to be the case with the ecoboost motors. My old 2009 Cobalt SS turbo, rated at 260hp, gained 60 whp from an intake, catless down pipe and tune. 295whp on a 95* day. It looks like the ecoboost mustang guys are lucky to make that with more mods. That being said I think the rs version will closely resemble the mustang ecoboost and ultimately let us down. GT > RS anyday.
How much in mods would it cost to get the RS up between 500-600whp?

I only ask because it's around $7500 with a Roush Stage 2 to get the GT up in the neighborhood of 700 (which I think would be a fair comparison given the AWD on the RS and weight difference).

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored