GT350 Exhaust Piped through Speakers?

REAZO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Ford is surely ending my love affair with my GT350.....

First, I buy a Tech Pack car to commute in and do 3-4 track days a year. Only to find out that it is un-capable of more than 15min track time because the tranny overheats.

and TODAY.....

I find out that the exhaust sound is being manufactured, or pumped through my speakers. If ANY car doesn't need this, it is the GT350.

My Story:
Most agree that the stereo on even the tech pack cars is bad. So, I decide to put in some higher end Alpine speakers and a small 45x4 amp in the dash. Music is MUCH MUCH better. But as I start driving over the next few day, the exhaust note is unbearably loud. With windows down it is louder through the front speakers than the window. I circle back to the audio shop (also does many performance mods). Great place. I have them go with me to ensure I am not just going crazy. Nope. Clear as day, the exhaust is blaring through the front speakers. Apparently, with the crappy speakers it's not noticeable. Now that I have good speakers, it is unnaturally loud.

Today, I call my local ford dealer. He knows me as I have been in several times for my car overheating. (apparently a fix is on the way). The very helpful tech researches it today and finds out 2 very interesting things. 1) Sure enough, exhaust sound is going through the GT350s stereo, and 2) Nothing can be done about it. Unbelievable.:mad:

I guess I don't have to worry about the tranny overheating anymore, since it's audibly unbearable to rev the engine :doh:
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think someone asked this before and found it to be untrue. Where is the document that shows the sound is being pumped through the speakers?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I certainly can't find anything suggesting the 350 has sound enhancements. On other Ford cars that have the feature, it's usually called "Active Sound Symposer" or something of the like and has a fuse. The Mustang manuals list no such thing.

Are you positive you don't have a bad ground to the radio, amp, or speakers?

Grunholle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
///M
This is the first time I've heard this tech being on the GT350 and kind of find it hard to believe?

Usually there's a module that controls the audio and there are always a way to deactivate it, either physically (unplugging) or by coding it out. Honda has been a long time user of augmenting their engine sounds and more recently BMW with it's ASD (Active Sound Design) system.

If it is present, there must be a way to deactivate it.

Sponsored

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
Yeah, the GT350 has this, someone posted a doc about this about 3-4 weeks ago and i couldn't believe it.

OP
OP

REAZO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I would LOVE to find out that I am wrong. If it was only me and others being able to hear the exhaust in the speakers, I would hope there was another cause, but....

My local Ford Service tech researched it today and essentially told me "I knew some of the 4cyl cars did this, but didn't know the GT350 did. But when I put in your VIN, sure enough, it appears that your car has it too. Unfortunately, it cannot be defeated. Sorry, there is nothing we can do."

Not sure what I can do from this point. Ford service is telling me it is, and can't be over-rode or fixed.

mrdci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, Raptor SCrew, '17 GT350R HR083, E39 Dinan M5
I know my Fiesta ST has a hose that allows sounds from the engine into the cabin for added sound but not through the speakers (its not on the normal Fiesta). I remember this being added to some cars previously but not the GT350.

Sponsored

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I normally have the radio quiet, to the point I barely discern it. Will check today but I didn't notice anything before, and certainly not now the resonators are off.

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
That's disappointing, had it in my BMW and didn't care for it but it made sense with turbos killing the exhaust noise. This car doesn't need it...

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
daddy likeyyyyyyy:clap2:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ive never noticed it, but I also keep the radio pretty low and windows open as long as weather allows it
Sponsored