Sponsored

Oil life

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
Today at 10,500 mles my oil lfe warning, Change oil soon, has come on. The car was serviced in April with 4,400 miles on it, so only half way trough the 10,000 mile interval, and most of those miles have been nice and easy motorway miles. The oli life now states only 5%.

When the car was a few months old i had this, and it just hadnt been set from the factory. My guess, the dealers didnt reset the oil life when it was serviced. I am not against more frequent oil changes, but do you lot agree, this is just another dealer cock up?
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Today at 10,500 mles my oil lfe warning, Change oil soon, has come on. The car was serviced in April with 4,400 miles on it, so only half way trough the 10,000 mile interval, and most of those miles have been nice and easy motorway miles. The oli life now states only 5%.

When the car was a few months old i had this, and it just hadnt been set from the factory. My guess, the dealers didnt reset the oil life when it was serviced. I am not against more frequent oil changes, but do you lot agree, this is just another dealer cock up?
Classic case of the dealer not resetting. It usually pops up after 12 months or 10k miles

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10

Mines was at 17% after 5000 miles so changed it ,it goes on miles condition, stop starts ect lots of factors not just 12months or 10k miles

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Probably dealer mistake but it can't hurt you if you check the oil level AND the oil life when you pick up the car. Always check the oil when someone else changes it and don't wait a week or month. Dealers, etc. are known to put the wrong amount in. Likewise on checking the oil life. If they didn't reset it, it only takes 5 seconds for you to.

OP
OP

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
Classic case of the dealer not resetting. It usually pops up after 12 months or 10k miles
And i checked back in my diary, and its almost exactly 11 months since the recall for the wiring, and the first time the oil life was reset because they havent done it when it was delivered. I guess in future it will be the first thing i check after a service, did they reset it.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
5k or 6k miles is a good service interval for a performance engine in my book. Especially if you intend to keep the car beyond 3 yrs.

sunny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Black on Black
my oil change indicator displayed after only 3k miles... Anyway, just reset on advise from peeps on here and fb, who all had the similar occurrences... Not a biggie, issue just remember to book in relevant services...

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
Mine came on last week, which is probably a year to the day when the dealer did the initial pre-delivery work on it. Mines currently sitting at 7.7K miles so not worried at all, it's booked in for the 10K/12 month service next Monday.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
More oil light nonsense.

My car was serviced at 5497 miles in March this year. Oil life indicator was reset at the time. It's now done 7600 miles. For one reason or another I've been unable to take it out for 4 weeks but last night was Southsea Cruise and I was available. Started the car and immediately get the "oil change required" message. No "oil change required soon" message previously. I thought there was some logic to it previously but it seems the less you drive it, the quicker the clock runs down. :shrug:

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Done 4500 miles and owned the car 6 months and I have the oil warning message. It was built in November 2016.

Obviously it wasn't reset at PDI. Does it in any way void your warranty if you just reset it yourself?

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Done 4500 miles and owned the car 6 months and I have the oil warning message. It was built in November 2016.

Obviously it wasn't reset at PDI. Does it in any way void your warranty if you just reset it yourself?
Hope not... most of us have done it ;)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
mine came on at 6 months (to the day!) and 2200 miles i reset it its now almost exactly 12 months old (3rd oct) 4800 and its come on again :)

good job i'm going to service it this week.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
BMW M require an oil service after first thousand miles or so, makes sense when a car is new. Id do the same with any high performance car.

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Resurrecting an old thread....I’ve done 13.5k miles in the 5.0, had last service 10k miles in September, it’s now saying oil change needed and life is at 1%?! It’s been used regularly over winter always on journeys over 10miles, driven steadily etc so no idea why it thinks an oil change is needed?? Reset indicator or visit the dealer?

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Resurrecting an old thread....I’ve done 13.5k miles in the 5.0, had last service 10k miles in September, it’s now saying oil change needed and life is at 1%?! It’s been used regularly over winter always on journeys over 10miles, driven steadily etc so no idea why it thinks an oil change is needed?? Reset indicator or visit the dealer?
Just reset it, mine came on around 6 months after it’s 10k service
Sponsored