Coilover Noise - Pedder Extreme XA Coilovers

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6-speed Manual AUS
Sometimes finding the illusive coliover noise can be extremely difficult, but not this time.

Btw, these coilovers were great. In fact most would agree with me, any coilovers would transform the ride of this base model S550 pony quite well. Reducing body roll and shorten damping time, allowing driver to cut more precious corner and reduce wheel hops when you put the foot down.

Installed Pedders Exteme XA Coilovers in my workshop and all is well.

Then a few days later there was some this noise from the back, metal clunking noise. Quickly identified that was caused by the bottom locking ring for the height adjustment, became lose. Tighten that up and all was good again.

Then a few months later, there was some really really subtle metal noise from maybe front left, sounds like a rusty hinge or old floor boards...Maybe was the shocks, maybe was control arm or door hinge...So I went on a bit of detective mode and here is a video about it:

[ame]

Well it was not any of the locking rings, but the top Spring Bushing Nut need a bit tightening. I am sure this is a very common problem, but would like to document it. So other people would be able to find out what is going on quickly.
Sponsored

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I have the BC Racing coilovers (same as the Pedders) and had the same issue with rear locking ring coming loose. [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] had the same issue with his rears in his airbags (shocks come out of the BC factory). So seems very common! I will keep this in mind if I ever have any noises like that from the front, thanks for diagnosing!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the BC Racing coilovers (same as the Pedders) and had the same issue with rear locking ring coming loose. [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] had the same issue with his rears in his airbags (shocks come out of the BC factory). So seems very common! I will keep this in mind if I ever have any noises like that from the front, thanks for diagnosing!
As Josh has said, BC are responsible for the dampers in the AirLift kit, Pedders stuff and several other brands out there. Seems to be a theme developing that old matey on the production line needs to be taking some NoDoz or even just changing his dealer. :paddle:
I actually took the time to check over the fronts but somehow missed the rears.
Highly recommended to check each and every component in these suckers before install :thumbsup:

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Note that I tightened my rears myself as I set the preload. Still came loose.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Had the pedders on for about 8000 miles now, no noises and to be fair really like them enough to delay me swopping over to kwv3's that are in the garage lol!

Sponsored

OP
OP

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
So...i was wrong.

Tightening this nut only temporarily relieves the noise, it will quickly come back after a few hundred meters of driving.

I think there might be something going on in the pre-assembled bushing. Any ideas?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a different noise or the same one?
Please describe.

OP
OP

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Same noise, if i tighten the nuts a bit, the noise will be gone until vibration make it loose again i guess?

You see in the video the silver ring moves together with the red spring and black ring perch and is rubbing against the silver mount plate. Would it work if i lubricate in between the silver plates?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
It's worth a go, give it a try an see.

OP
OP

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
was worried could make this permanently worse if greased the wrong area.
Sponsored