Sponsored

Six weeks after taking delivery of my Mustang GT is dead.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
I realise this is easier said than done, but calm down. Ford have every right to inspect before they replace. The only major issue on this site lately was Copie's car and ford gave him a new one for cosmetic issues.

Give them time and let them go through their process and I am sure this will end well.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
I am sure things take time I am just on edge as Ford Australia have not said they will do anything at all and then they asked me about if I have abused the car by taking to the track

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Hope it works out for you

dingobreath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT orange
they need to just replace your engine with a brand new one from the factory. Otherwise they are being dicks about it.

Sponsored

Beven

NAG70
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Beven
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang GT 70 Mustang Sportsback
Engine Light On

Hi,

This is the first time I have dropped a line to the forum. As your problem is familiar I thought this might help. My 2016 Mustang has 24,000 Km on it now, its and its 15 months old. Recently we drove to Adelaide from Queensland and whilst in Adelaide our engine light came on. This happened on a Sunday so first thing Monday I took it the Ford Dealer on Port Rd and they immediately put it on the computer. After about a half an hour the came back to me and informed me that it showed that the two forward oxygen sensors were showing a fault. I asked them if it would be ok to drive it back to Gatton in Qld and they said yes. Strangely enough the light went out for the trip back but came back on the next day. This was the best trip I have done for a long time and I have done a lot of miles travelling Australias Highways ( if you would call them that).

OK, back to the subject I then took it to our local Ford dealer in Gatton Carpenter Automotive. They took it into the workshop straight away and again put it on the computer and got a faulty Oxygen Sensor. They immediately ordered one up from Melbourne and fitted it on arrival. The engine light still stayed on. As I have another car I didn't mind leaving the Mustang with them as I knew they would do their best to solve the problem. After about 7 work days they rang me to come and pick up the Mustang as they found the problem. Just as an aside Ford Australia sent up an engineer to help with the problem. However the problem was solved by one of their mechanics who just thought the problem through.

It turns out that where one of the wires entered a plug which contained a large number of wires one developed a short, this could have been possible with some of the potholed highways upon which we travelled. Just for interest, have a look at the cable that comes out of the Fuse panel on the drivers side of the engine bay - it must have at least 50 wires all fitting one plug.

This may or may not be your problem, but it was certainly mine. Good luck with your Mustang. My wife and I both love our Mustang and the way it performs and drives. Our Ford dealer, as well as the one in Adelaide, could not do enough for us. Whilst in Carpenter ford they spent every spare minute on our Mustang. We were very happy with Ford and their dealers.

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
How can they tell?
Especially clean intake valves and especially nasty exhaust valves. High temperature damage on the exhaust side. There was a an LS engine that had a hole burned in one of the exhaust valves. That was an indicator.

Although now that I had to revisit this subject I forgot they usually suspect this when there are indication of a remote mount switch and mounting holes in the trunk or the manifold has been doctored... so I'm not sure if they are suspicious of something or just following SOP.

OP
OP

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
10 days on

A quick update for those who are interested. The mustang has been torn apart now no bonnet removed air conditioner compressor condenser and radiator. Battery box removed as well as air con ducts. K Braces removed half of the wiring harness and the ecu bolts drilled out and ecu removed. Power steering lines are now open to atmosphere and the exhaust is a pile of pipes sitting on the floor. Even tho the mechanics have been as careful every body point that they have touched with a spanner now has its painted coating damaged. The motor is now out of the car sitting on an engine stand, you can see on the pictures number seven piston has a failed ring which has scored the bore.

I ordered the car over twelve months ago and had my unmarked dream car in my hands for less then six weeks. Never eaten in vacuumed out every week, washed polished and detailed every weekend.

If there is a new motor or it is repaired the car will always have the damage to the paint and finish which can never be returned to the as six week old condition let alone how many issues is the car going to have with any of the other systems that have now been disconnected removed and needes to bolted fixed or reconnected.

I did ring 13FORD and have exspessed my disappointment and they have assigned a case manager for me who has not made contact with me.

Any way here is what we have found in the motor. There is a ring that has failed and scored the bore. All other bores are in perfect condition.
2A8DCC1F-5F10-40F4-8796-F67FAD9CA500.jpg
FC641318-.jpg
6835A090-EB8F-4B0C-901A-C85A59617C54.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
A quick update for those who are interested. The mustang has been torn apart now no bonnet removed air conditioner compressor condenser and radiator. Battery box removed as well as air con ducts. K Braces removed half of the wiring harness and the ecu bolts drilled out and ecu removed. Power steering lines are now open to atmosphere and the exhaust is a pile of pipes sitting on the floor. Even tho the mechanics have been as careful every body point that they have touched with a spanner now has its painted coating damaged. The motor is now out of the car sitting on an engine stand, you can see on the pictures number seven piston has a failed ring which has scored the bore.

I ordered the car over twelve months ago and had my unmarked dream car in my hands for less then six weeks. Never eaten in vacuumed out every week, washed polished and detailed every weekend.

If there is a new motor or it is repaired the car will always have the damage to the paint and finish which can never be returned to the as six week old condition let alone how many issues is the car going to have with any of the other systems that have now been disconnected removed and needes to bolted fixed or reconnected.

I did ring 13FORD and have exspessed my disappointment and they have assigned a case manager for me who has not made contact with me.

Any way here is what we have found in the motor. There is a ring that has failed and scored the bore. All other bores are in perfect condition.
Sorry to read about your hassles.
Can I suggest the following, I had hassles when I first ordered my car and I emailed Mark Fields ...Ford CEO with cc's to Graeme Wickman ...Aus Ford Manager and my own Dealer. I received a phone call response from Ford Australia within 36 hrs and no more problems. Write an email to Mark telling him your circumstances and displeasure with the product...I am sure you will get some feedback.. PM me and I can give you Marks email if you need it. :ford::ford: :cheers:

Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Desperately sorry to see this mate. I can only imagine how you must feel. I'd take FMGTV8's advice - and when you e-mail send the pictures as well for good measure. The very best of luck with all this.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Totally unacceptable Gavin - I feel for you mate.

I wouldn't want it back.

A precedent has already been set where someone has secured a replacement vehicle for issues far less serious than you are experiencing.

That's what I'd be pushing for, and pushing hard.

V8KOOP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Competition Orange manual
I agree with FMGTV8, write to Ford Australia President, whoever it happens to be this week. I had an FPV GT that had an oil burning problem, I had the engine replaced after about 30,000km, after they promised I only had to get to 20,000 and if didn't improve they would replace it. I want to FPV and their "quality guy" tried to tell me there was no problem and in fact the oil consumption was ok. I wrote to The President Marin Burela I think, and sure enough within 48 hours got a call and apology and a new motor!

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
I had the same thing happen to me. My dealer called Ford. Ford told them to replace the motor. I got a new long block installed.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Totally unacceptable Gavin - I feel for you mate.

I wouldn't want it back.

A precedent has already been set where someone has secured a replacement vehicle for issues far less serious than you are experiencing.

That's what I'd be pushing for, and pushing hard.
Agree with this. I would've been happy with a new engine but now there's so much that needs to be replaced not to mention the paint damage it'd be an economic write off for them to replace everything.

Next step, if you haven't already is take more photos. Every scratch, nick, mark, removed piece etc.

Take the advice of taking it up the chain and if that doesn't go anywhere I'd go legal now.
Sponsored