Sponsored

Fuel choice

V8 coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Black 2017 Ford Mustang GT
A long time ago I recall being told that BP had the best quality fuel.

I am sure it was probably rubbish, but does anyone know or have an opinion on any differences between bp, shell, Caltex, etc?

And with using 98 (I think that's what is supposed to be used) are there any differences between different suppliers?
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is this:
When we were data-logging, there WAS a difference from Shell 98 to BP 98. We could see it clear as day. Other guys who did logging in other parts of Victoria found the same result.
My local tuner (not responsible for this car) made the comment that he has ALWAYS found BP to be the best, regardless of where it was purchased (he remotely tunes cars from all over Australia).
I can't explain the why though sorry.

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
All I can say is this:
When we were data-logging, there WAS a difference from Shell 98 to BP 98. We could see it clear as day. Other guys who did logging in other parts of Victoria found the same result.
My local tuner (not responsible for this car) made the comment that he has ALWAYS found BP to be the best, regardless of where it was purchased (he remotely tunes cars from all over Australia).
I can't explain the why though sorry.
That's funny because whilst BP and shell operate individual terminals their supply chain and refineries OS are the same.

Under reciprocal agreements the fuel can come from the same terminal.

This is especially the case when the supplier doesn't even have a supply chain in that part of the state (ie in Newcastle Mobil fuel is pulled out of BP carrington, BP fuels are pulled out of Shell Clyde etc)

And besides the bulk of fuel (around 85% and rising) comes from refineries in the Asia/South American regions, ie whoever is cheapest.

I've worked with and been involved with the fuel logistics game for a lot of years across all major fuel companies.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's funny because whilst BP and shell operate individual terminals their supply chain and refineries OS are the same.

Under reciprocal agreements the fuel CAN come from the same terminal. (But doesn't necessarily)

This is especially the case when the supplier doesn't even have a supply chain in that part of the state (ie in Newcastle Mobil fuel is pulled out of BP carrington, BP fuels are pulled out of Shell Clyde etc)

And besides the bulk of fuel (around 85% and rising) comes from refineries in the Asia/South American regions, ie whoever is cheapest.

I've worked with and been involved with the fuel logistics game for a lot of years across all major fuel companies.
Like I said, I can't give you the why. What I can tell you is that the people doing the tuning asked me to put better fuel in. Switched to BP, much happier. :shrug:
It's a very common theme.
Only thing I can think of is
a) dud batch vs good batch
B) the tuners did their testing years ago, got the results they wanted and haven't moved with the times? :shrug:

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Or more then likely these tuners don't know what they are on about. Unless the weather conditions (temp, humidity, barometric pressure) are identical and the vehicles are either the same car there are too many variables.

Heck even winter blend vs summer blends can tune differently.

The biggest difference between the companies is their secret sauce which come in 20L drums and is extremely toxic.

Sponsored

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT

Under reciprocal agreements the fuel can come from the same terminal.

Each fuel company has it's own additives they mix in to the fuel to bring it up to 98 from what I have been told. While the fuel may all be the same that each company gets it's that final mixture of additive that makes the difference and all information I have come across seems to be the BP and Mobile are the way to go with Shell and Caltex have been known to cause pinging. I have used BP exclusively since 2009 in my cars as they were lease vehicles and I had the luxury of fuel cards and never had a problem with BP.

OP
OP
V8 coyote

V8 coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Black 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Each fuel company has it's own additives they mix in to the fuel to bring it up to 98 from what I have been told. While the fuel may all be the same that each company gets it's that final mixture of additive that makes the difference and all information I have come across seems to be the BP and Mobile are the way to go with Shell and Caltex have been known to cause pinging. I have used BP exclusively since 2009 in my cars as they were lease vehicles and I had the luxury of fuel cards and never had a problem with BP.
Thank you - I think this is what I was after.

They all seem to claim that their 98 does some amazing thing to clean your engine or tank - so there has to be some sort of differences
Sponsored