Sponsored

Check your splitter after doing recall!

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
After your recall is done, DOUBLE CHECK the splitter install. Most techs still haven't learned how to do it right. All of the owners in our FB group had screws that were missing from the splitter. Those angled screws at the front go for $4.45 EACH at your friendly local FORD store.!!
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
nothing scares me more than leaving my car the dealer.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
By the way, the screws themselves aren't angled nor are they exclusive to Fords. The holes they're driven into are angled. If you're paying $4.45 for a fairly common m4.2 x 25mm screw then you're doing it wrong.

goodkid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2014 Polar Edition Wrangler; 2005 350Z
I did not realize the splitter had to come off for this work. Thank you.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
My dealer left mine with the gap in front after the recall work, the splitter was not clipped in the front properly. At least they put all the screws back in, which they didn't do when the car was ordered. I'm trusting that they installed the hose properly.

Sponsored

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
My dealer left mine with the gap in front after the recall work, the splitter was not clipped in the front properly. At least they put all the screws back in, which they didn't do when the car was ordered. I'm trusting that they installed the hose properly.
My dealer did the same thing ! Just found out now by washing my car this weekend. And had to go back two times to have the recall done properly. You can read my story in the recal tread, it is just unbelievable.

How did you put the splitter back on correctly ? Did you do it yourself ?
Thanks for sharing.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
How did you put the splitter back on correctly ? Did you do it yourself ?
Thanks for sharing.
If the splitter is not clipped in properly, then the rework is much easier. Just remove the 12 screws that hold it on, the splitter should almost fall off. Reinstall with the top angled upward so the clips catch the pockets. snap it in and install the screws . . . . should take about 5 minutes, once you get the car up where you can work on it.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My dealer asked me why there was a wrench for the car "you just have to have tighten it"

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
My dealer not only failed to add any oil, but also did not install the splitter correctly. The bolts were finger tight and I lost one on the way back to the dealer. I explained the situation to the service writer who was not listening. I waited over an hour and had my car returned to me with the splitter still installed incorrectly but with the missing bolt replaced. I again explained there is a service video showing the install. The service writer said he didn't think the splitter had to be removed for the recall. They are going to send my car to an outside body shop tomorrow to get this taken care of. This dealer has tried three times to install my splitter unsuccessfully. Inspires confidence. Also makes my limp mode seem rather expected.

OP
OP

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My dealer not only failed to add any oil, but also did not install the splitter correctly. The bolts were finger tight and I lost one on the way back to the dealer. I explained the situation to the service writer who was not listening. I waited over an hour and had my car returned to me with the splitter still installed incorrectly but with the missing bolt replaced. I again explained there is a service video showing the install. The service writer said he didn't think the splitter had to be removed for the recall. They are going to send my car to an outside body shop tomorrow to get this taken care of. This dealer has tried three times to install my splitter unsuccessfully. Inspires confidence. Also makes my limp mode seem rather expected.
I can see you're determined to make this dealer get it right, or die trying. I admire your stamina, having lost most of mine these last two decades.

This splitter issue has truly taken on a life of it's own. From most all accounts, dealers from coast to coast just can't seem to handle it. I challenge any GT350 owner that had their splitter installed by a dealer, to personally check the install. 80 to 90% are either missing some of the front screws for the center piece, missing 1 or more of the 20+ torx screws for the back and sides, or it's not snapped in all the way in front, showing no gap. (Zilch) I have re-installed mine now 3 times........I could do it in my sleep. Also, I guarantee that at least 99% of the fasteners on splitters are not torqued to the 1.9nm and 8.0nm as required according to the FP installation video.

There is such a huge disconnect between Ford and it's servicing dealers that it boggles the mind and sours the brand.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm waiting for jacking rails to get mine in the air a little easier, but it seems mine might be on right. Dealership owner kept an r that he tracks. I'm hoping his installer knew what he was doing.

No gap on the splitter, and it's already survived triple digit speeds for long periods of time (in mexico of course). I did some tugging on it and it doesn't move. I do intend to look for all the hardware including the half moon clips, lol.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Oh man I got you all beat. My dealership damaged my front splitter in under 9 minutes just last Friday. I dropped it off to have an aircon leak fixed, tech drove it into the bay. I watched him exit the service bay and saw the car dip down a bit as he did it but he cleared it. What does he do? Turns the car around and goes over that same dip again (at this point i'm walking over trying to signal for him to stop) and you hear the bottom part of the splitter scrape right along and i'm standing right there.

I about lost it. He says to me nodding his head "I tried to go slow". Just wow. After I calmed down I walked back over to him and said "well the good news is it's easily replaceable" So at least they did order me a brand new one and paid for it.

Since you can't see the scrapes underneath (until on a lift) i'll probably leave on the original and keep the new one as a backup.

Or possibly sell it - what is the splitter worth brand new still in the box?

Last edited:

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
As for the recall - Next owner can have that done, i'm good.

OP
OP

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
By the way, the screws themselves aren't angled nor are they exclusive to Fords. The holes they're driven into are angled. If you're paying $4.45 for a fairly common m4.2 x 25mm screw then you're doing it wrong.
My goal with this thread was to remind folks that Ford service still installs splitters as incorrectly as they did 2 years ago. But there's always someone that veers off track and has to spew.

I could have never guessed that someone would have read that as an "angled screw", instead of an angled screw trajectory. That has to be a first.

"Doing it" exactly as shown in the FP installation video is actually the opposite of "wrong". The eight screws with attached washers (#W715060-S450B M4.2X25) are not sold at your corner Home Depot or Auto Zone. But I'm sure you could make a sheet rock screw work, if that's your idea of right. The correct factory screws come in a 4-pack @ $17.80 per pack. But parts prices can vary greatly from dealer to dealer.

Please spare me the condescending reply.
Sponsored