E85 and our gt mustangs

RTVgav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gav
Vehicle(s)
2017 Harrop Equipped Mustang
I'm using it. I have both a Flex Fuel tune (any ethanol % for the noobs) and a race tune for e85 only. No mods required for either other than the tune/s.
The injectors will cope easily on a NA car up to a point. FI will test the limits though.
Fuel consumption WILL escalate as mentioned by @RTVgav .
The ignition timing advance you'll see on e85 is just awesome, car absolutely hammers.
I picked up somewhere between 20-30rwkws if I remember correctly. It's THAT good.

Having both the FF tune and race tune is the key. In the real world, you'll likely be using 98 as your everyday fuel with FF tune. Run tank down near empty, fill up with e85 or at least splash say 30 litres on top. You'll then have say e60. Run that down, fill again, should have e85, flash race tune (not absolutely required but if you want the most timing, this is how you do it), drive normally for a few minutes before going WOT.

The first batch of e85 I put in was actually e89. The brews will vary slightly from what I understand, but they will always be at least e85.

Highly recommended.

Some good info there thanks. Tell me more about the flex fuel set up please. I'm assuming you need to fit an ethanol content sensor, but how does the factory ECU deal with this?

I didn't look at all of the settings when my tuner was using HP Tuner software, but I don't recall an input or map for E85 content.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did this turn into another Lund thread? I missed the part where they mentioned Lund tunes. Are they paying you yet [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION]?
Not sure if serious or joking in all honesty. Pretty sure I didn't once suggest that Lund were the only company capable of doing such a tune. Also pretty sure I didn't mention their name and the timing buddy I'm referring to happens to live right here in Mildura. :shrug:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cool I would be untested what number you get off a Dyno I understand it could make a million rwkw if not strapped down correctly but would be interested to know what difference from your tune to a Dyno etc.

Currently I'm sitting on 292 rwkw that's with headers xforce engine back, air aid CAI, tune on 98. Next mod will be the GT350 intake, E85 so should make 320+ touch wood.
If you're at 292 now, I'd expect to see 320ish from e85 with the right strategies in place. Seriously.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some good info there thanks. Tell me more about the flex fuel set up please. I'm assuming you need to fit an ethanol content sensor, but how does the factory ECU deal with this?

I didn't look at all of the settings when my tuner was using HP Tuner software, but I don't recall an input or map for E85 content.
The car is already capable of detecting ethanol content.EDIT: Lund are the ones with the brains here, not the car. My bad. The Ngauge (in this case) displays the % for you. It's quite handy because you then know when the brew is right for the switchover to race tune. Takes the guesswork out of it.
As a real world example, I had say 15 litres of 98 in the tank. Splashed 40 litres of e89 (good brew) on top. The car takes about ten minutes to work it out, gradually increasing from 0% all the way to 65% (cos of the 98).
The Flex Fuel tune is able to make the necessary corrections for the ethanol/octane content of the fuel.
Race tune is able to run a different strategy because there is no expectation of "crap" fuel blends to work with.
FWIW, my uber tuner mate has explained to me that a car will stop producing extra Hp WELL before any knock will occur on e85. In other words, you can keep dialling in the ignition advance but it won't get you anywhere. Totally different to pump fuel in that respect.

Last edited:

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
The car is already capable of detecting ethanol content. The Ngauge (in this case) displays the % for you. It's quite handy because you then know when the brew is right for the switchover to race tune. Takes the guesswork out of it.
As a real world example, I had say 15 litres of 98 in the tank. Splashed 40 litres of e89 (good brew) on top. The car takes about ten minutes to work it out, gradually increasing from 0% all the way to 65% (cos of the 98).
The Flex Fuel tune is able to make the necessary corrections for the ethanol/octane content of the fuel.
Race tune is able to run a different strategy because there is no expectation of "crap" fuel blends to work with.
FWIW, my uber tuner mate has explained to me that a car will stop producing extra Hp WELL before any knock will occur on e85. In other words, you can keep dialling in the ignition advance but it won't get you anywhere. Totally different to pump fuel in that respect.
Small correction. The car cannot directly detect ethanol content. But as it has factory wideband o2 sensors it can be calculated on the run.

And honestly I don't know how..

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Has anyone in Aus fitted a GT350 IM and TB with a flex tune yet? Curious to see how it performs and where it makes the power. That would be a perfect track set up.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Has anyone in Aus fitted a GT350 IM and TB with a flex tune yet? Curious to see how it performs and where it makes the power. That would be a perfect track set up.
We offer Flex Fuel tunes and we offer remote tunes for the GT350 IM and TB, I am verifying if we can do them in conjunction with each other currently, I'll post shortly when I have an answer!

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Brendan Caunt is running a GT350 IM with Flex Fuel Tune, I'm not sure what TB he is running. He is active on the Australian S550 FB pages, not sure if he is on this forum.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Not sure if serious or joking in all honesty. Pretty sure I didn't once suggest that Lund were the only company capable of doing such a tune. Also pretty sure I didn't mention their name and the timing buddy I'm referring to happens to live right here in Mildura. :shrug:
Just joking, except about the sponsorship, you and Josh should get that sorted :cheers:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just joking, except about the sponsorship, you and Josh should get that sorted :cheers:
Who said we haven't already?:ninja: :lol:
I do like your sponsorship idea though. Sounds way more appealing than the sugar daddy idea I was looking into. Turns out the terms and conditions on that one aren't quite to my tastes :eyebulge:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I'm sure this questions has been covered multiple times but what are the local dealers here in Aus like with email tunes/custom tunes etc? Automatic void of warranty? Or just don't take your car back to the dealer? Haha.

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I'm sure this questions has been covered multiple times but what are the local dealers here in Aus like with email tunes/custom tunes etc? Automatic void of warranty? Or just don't take your car back to the dealer? Haha.
Technically your warranty should only be voided for failures that can be shown to have been caused by, or contributed to by, the aftermarket tune.

In reality it is going to come down to what your relationship is like with your Dealer. For that reason you are better off taking it back to them regularly!

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Technically your warranty should only be voided for failures that can be shown to have been caused by, or contributed to by, the aftermarket tune.

In reality it is going to come down to what your relationship is like with your Dealer. For that reason you are better off taking it back to them regularly!
Fair point. Can they tell if there is a tune on the car or if there ever has been one?

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Fair point. Can they tell if there is a tune on the car or if there ever has been one?
My understanding is that there is a flash counter that shows how many times the ECU has been flashed. If there are any flashes that aren't accounted for by the service history they assume the car has been tuned.
Sponsored