Sponsored

E85 and our gt mustangs

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
Just asking the question who is running E85 and what mods do you need to run it? Does any one know if we can run it without mods with out doing any damage?
Sponsored

RTVgav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gav
Vehicle(s)
2017 Harrop Equipped Mustang
I've not run it in my Mustang but i have been running it in my track car for 10 years now.

The same general principles will apply, 'tho:

• the Mustang fuel system being compatible with E10 will also be OK with E85
  • the car will need to be retuned for E85
  • for the same performance you will need around 30% more fuel, therefore you will probably need larger injectors at least
  • most benefits of E85 are in a force induction application as it allows for better detonation resistance at increased boost (i.e. ecoboost or SC/turbo Coyote)

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using it. I have both a Flex Fuel tune (any ethanol % for the noobs) and a race tune for e85 only. No mods required for either other than the tune/s.
The injectors will cope easily on a NA car up to a point. FI will test the limits though.
Fuel consumption WILL escalate as mentioned by [MENTION=22853]RTVgav[/MENTION].
The ignition timing advance you'll see on e85 is just awesome, car absolutely hammers.
I picked up somewhere between 20-30rwkws if I remember correctly. It's THAT good.

Having both the FF tune and race tune is the key. In the real world, you'll likely be using 98 as your everyday fuel with FF tune. Run tank down near empty, fill up with e85 or at least splash say 30 litres on top. You'll then have say e60. Run that down, fill again, should have e85, flash race tune (not absolutely required but if you want the most timing, this is how you do it), drive normally for a few minutes before going WOT.

The first batch of e85 I put in was actually e89. The brews will vary slightly from what I understand, but they will always be at least e85.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I am running the Lund flex fuel tune which allows me to run both 98 and e85. Other mods are a catback and intake.

Most of what RTVgav said above is correct. However the stock injectors are large enough to run e85 with a basic bolt on setup. Usually need to upgrade when adding a different intake manifold on top of headers.

You will see some benefit from e85 on a naturally aspirated setup. I get around 25 degrees of spark advance on 98 and 31 degrees on e85. This is definitely noticeable.

But be warned, fuel use will increase by around 30% also, as per gav's comment above.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport, 2016 Mustang GT 2019 Bullitt
Hi Guys,

Question I have for the guys already on E85 noticed some figures 20-30 rwkw have been dropped. This is impressive and would be worth investing in but tell me this.
Is the numbers mention or what people are getting, is that via an email tune eg Lund or is this via a Dyno ?

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

Question I have for the guys already on E85 noticed some figures 20-30 rwkw have been dropped. This is impressive and would be worth investing in but tell me this.
Is the numbers mention or what people are getting, is that via an email tune eg Lund or is this via a Dyno ?
I'm not using a real dyno. My ridiculously good tuning buddy is able to use a program that can calculate the rear wheel figure from the datalogs. Basically, you're inputting a heap of parameters (tyre size, gearing, weight etc) and it can work it out based on your acceleration over time, with a plot exactly like a dyno sheet.
In my case, I went from 270-280 (98) to 300 or slightly over (e85 race tune). Ambient temp being high 20s in all cases.
We don't even bother with a dyno because correction factors play a role. A smart operator can make any figure you desire.
In his exact words, "the 300 I'm giving you here, could easily be made into 330 on the right dyno with the right guy operating it".
We do several runs to allow for any rise or fall in the road, only relying on runs that produce consistent results.
We aren't interested in the numbers, just the gains.
Example included.
image.jpeg

OP
OP

Gavin k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Mustang
So with a LUND tune and e85 what would be the exspected results? Am I kidding myself if I think 290-300rw/kw?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So with a LUND tune and e85 what would be the exspected results? Am I kidding myself if I think 290-300rw/kw?
As Josh has said, it's completely feasible with the right supporting mods. :thumbsup:
[MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION] please correct me if I'm wrong here but if my memory serves me correctly, the PMAS intake alone gives similar peak power to headers. Pretty sure the big difference is in the low to midrange, where the headers really gain the upper hand. :shrug:

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Sorry you will need an intake to go with that full exhaust in order to reach 300rwkw! Thanks for the reminder Burkey.

We had some data showing similar peak power between your car (headers no intake) and my car (no headers with intake) however I was seeing more timing at that time also. Unsure if I had better fuel at the time, but I did have lower IAT's due to the cooler weather.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry you will need an intake to go with that full exhaust in order to reach 300rwkw! Thanks for the reminder Burkey.

We had some data showing similar peak power between your car (headers no intake) and my car (no headers with intake) however I was seeing more timing at that time also. Unsure if I had better fuel at the time, but I did have lower IAT's due to the cooler weather.
Ah yes. So much going on in #mustanglyf it gets hard to keep track of the details :doh:

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Did this turn into another Lund thread? I missed the part where they mentioned Lund tunes. Are they paying you yet [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION]?

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool I would be untested what number you get off a Dyno I understand it could make a million rwkw if not strapped down correctly but would be interested to know what difference from your tune to a Dyno etc.

Currently I'm sitting on 292 rwkw that's with headers xforce engine back, air aid CAI, tune on 98. Next mod will be the GT350 intake, E85 so should make 320+ touch wood.

stang_86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did this turn into another Lund thread? I missed the part where they mentioned Lund tunes. Are they paying you yet [MENTION=21513]Burkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=22068]Josh_TypeX[/MENTION]?
If you're referring to my post I said email tune or what ever you want to call it eg Lund I wouldn't know who does this in Aus, I always use a Dyno.

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I wish they were Rhett... But unfortunately not.

I was just sharing my experience with E85, which happens to be on a Lund tune. If anyone else can share their experience with e85 from another tuner that would be great.
Sponsored