Sponsored

1st to 2nd noise and 3rd to 4th palm smack

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I've been driving like a granny around town just to see how well I can do with mpg's. However, I've been noticing a very faint moan when I shift from 1st to 2nd. Kinda like a circular saw slowing down if that makes sense. Could that be from consistently shifting under 2k or is it indicative of something else that might be problematic?

Also, when shifting from 3rd to 4th I feel the shift knob smack my palm sometimes. Again, I'm shifting under 2k and not slamming but moreso just slowly moving the shifter from 3rd to 4th. If I shift faster/slightly harder...no smack.

Last question... any issue with staying in 6th on the highway? When cruising any distance it does the best mpg-wise but if I want to move I drop it in 4th or 5th which gives me plenty of power.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like you are hearing your synchros work on the 1-2 shift. Nothing to worry about they are there for when you shift to fast or too slow. so they are just doing there job of matching gear speeds as long as your clutch in in not a lot of wear as gears are light weight.

3-4 shift knob smack is probably that gear engaging once its speed is synced up.

If you are cruising in 6th for gas mileage you probably are not being too aggressive with the pedal and keeping engine load as low as possible. Nothing wrong with that when trying to get best fuel mileage. If you need to accelerate down shifting is best practice as you are doing.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you are hearing your synchros work on the 1-2 shift. Nothing to worry about they are there for when you shift to fast or too slow. so they are just doing there job of matching gear speeds as long as your clutch in in not a lot of wear as gears are light weight.

3-4 shift knob smack is probably that gear engaging once its speed is synced up.

If you are cruising in 6th for gas mileage you probably are not being too aggressive with the pedal and keeping engine load as low as possible. Nothing wrong with that when trying to get best fuel mileage. If you need to accelerate down shifting is best practice as you are doing.
I'll try shifting at 2.5k instead of 2k and see if the 2 issues go away.

As for 6th, I have my moment of aggression, but 90-95% of the time it's granny mode. But I had some SERIOUS fun yesterday as the result of an Oh Shit! moment! Got in the car to get to my office....I thought I had 45 min. to make the 25 min. trip. I had 15....I got there in 15. The roads were empty so I had room to play. But I saw a little of what the car could actually do. Amazing!!

-Emt1581

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I'll try shifting at 2.5k instead of 2k and see if the 2 issues go away.

As for 6th, I have my moment of aggression, but 90-95% of the time it's granny mode. But I had some SERIOUS fun yesterday as the result of an Oh Shit! moment! Got in the car to get to my office....I thought I had 45 min. to make the 25 min. trip. I had 15....I got there in 15. The roads were empty so I had room to play. But I saw a little of what the car could actually do. Amazing!!

-Emt1581
If its the syncros as I suspect, the noise would occur anytime you let the RPM drop below the RPM at which the next gear engages.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If its the syncros as I suspect, the noise would occur anytime you let the RPM drop below the RPM at which the next gear engages.
Well I've been shifting at the speeds listed in the manual to shift at give or take a few mph. So we'll see if bumping it up on a consistent basis helps it.

-Emt1581
Sponsored