D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
That is absurd. A tuner needs to offer a tune to tweak the values so the CEL doesnt pop up. My buddy has a BMW and those tuners do it and dont even care. Not sure why mustang tuners are so scared to do it.
The tuners do code out the CEL. The issue is when you get plugged into the machine for the inspection and your OBD readiness is not set. It's an automatic fail.
Sponsored

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
That is absurd. A tuner needs to offer a tune to tweak the values so the CEL doesnt pop up. My buddy has a BMW and those tuners do it and dont even care. Not sure why mustang tuners are so scared to do it.
I would think it's more on the header manufacturers. There needs to be more R&D into o2 sensor placement. It can't be all that hard for this to be figured out. It it needs to be moved up, back, or the bung made so the sensor isn't in the exhaust stream so much. I don't know, but wishful thinking.

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
Your tuner can turn off rear bank sensors and you wont get any CEL. if your tuner cant do it then you can use some Defouler.
Know any local tuners? (bay area) I grew up in SJ but I live in Union City now, north of Fremont

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Know any local tuners? (bay area) I grew up in SJ but I live in Union City now, north of Fremont
hey man. Only local tuner that is worthy is AED but its up north Sacramento. Did you try Lund?

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey man. Only local tuner that is worthy is AED but its up north Sacramento. Did you try Lund?
I suppose I could try Lund. I figured maybe a local tuner would be more cost effective since the purpose of the tune is basically just to have the headers without it throwing a code.

I don't have plans for real power adders until much later on.

Sponsored

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
I suppose I could try Lund. I figured maybe a local tuner would be more cost effective since the purpose of the tune is basically just to have the headers without it throwing a code.

I would go with Lund for your bolt ons. Its going to cost as much for dyno tune in our area. Lund also has lifetime tune revisions. A lot of 350 owners are tuned by Lund

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

your really can't go wrong, and even when you go power adder, lund can dial that in too, so muchmore experience than anyone

let me know if we can hlep

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/lr-ngauge-tune.html

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I've had Kooks green catted headers on for about a year and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). I love them, by the way. The car has a Lund tune.

Your best bet is really to get the Kooks green catted headers and ask for an emission ready tune. If a tuner turns off the rear O2 sensors, it's an automatic fail for the OBD test, which is what they do in my state. So basically any other header is either going to fail, or be a gigantic pain in the ass to pass. You're probably better off just reinstalling the factory headers versus putting up with trying to get other headers to pass, and even that is way more trouble than it's worth.

Save yourself the time and headache, and just get the Kooks.

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had Kooks green catted headers on for about a year and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). I love them, by the way. The car has a Lund tune.

Your best bet is really to get the Kooks green catted headers and ask for an emission ready tune. If a tuner turns off the rear O2 sensors, it's an automatic fail for the OBD test, which is what they do in my state. So basically any other header is either going to fail, or be a gigantic pain in the ass to pass. You're probably better off just reinstalling the factory headers versus putting up with trying to get other headers to pass, and even that is way more trouble than it's worth.

Save yourself the time and headache, and just get the Kooks.
I can appreciate that but in California unless the cats are in the factory location it will fail visual. That's why it doesn't matter if it's O/R or not because typically people will have someone pass it. No one here likes CARB

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
The tuners do code out the CEL. The issue is when you get plugged into the machine for the inspection and your OBD readiness is not set. It's an automatic fail.

Why can they not keep them ready but always have them passing? That is what I am wondering.

Sponsored
OP
OP
D.Brown

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Why can they not keep them ready but always have them passing? That is what I am wondering.
Because keeping readiness on runs the system through it's checkpoints. When it reaches those O2's, it will fail.

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Because keeping readiness on runs the system through it's checkpoints. When it reaches those O2's, it will fail.
I know. I am saying mod the code so it doesnt fail. For example my buddy has a tuned 335 with FBO. He does not need to disable anything because the tuners mod the code in the ECU to always read PASS.

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Also live in RI, CARB state, sucks balls. Subscribing for updates.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Because it's highly illegal.

So are headers and or CATS that need to have O2 foolers or devices that move the sensors or require the readiness to be turned off within a tune.

The question is: just like sanctuary cities and or states that allow the recreational use of Mary Jane (even though federal law says its illegal), is the law enforced by the state/ municipality?

Clean Air Act: The Act and its implementing regulations also contain various requirements concerning testing, reporting, recordkeeping, warranty, labeling, tampering, defeat devices, and vehicle and engine maintenance and alterations.

EPA enforces the vehicle and engine provisions of Title II of the Clean Air Act and regulations at 40 C. F. R. Parts 85, 86, 88 through 94, 600, and 1033 through 1068.

Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $37,500 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $3,750 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $37,500 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations. 42 U.S.C. § 7524; 40 C.F.R. § 19.4.
Sponsored

Last edited: