is tread wear important on track day?

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
my stock Pirelli P zero summer tire only have 20% left(almost looks like slick tires), and I'm planning to switch to new tires after a sunny track day.

is there any safety issues about it?

Thanks guys!:cheers:
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
my stock Pirelli P zero summer tire only have 20% left(almost looks like slick tires), and I'm planning to switch to new tires after a sunny track day.

is there any safety issues about it?

Thanks guys!:cheers:
I would not track those personally. You will probably cord them pretty quick into the day if they almost look like slicks (that means they're already pretty much done). After that I would not plan on driving home on them.

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
I would not track those personally. You will probably cord them pretty quick into the day if they almost look like slicks (that means they're already pretty much done). After that I would not plan on driving home on them.
thanks man. I decided to get new tires before the trackday;)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
thanks man. I decided to get new tires before the trackday;)
Do a line lock on them! My buddy did that and we had a bit of fun with it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you're already at or into the wear bars anywhere, they won't even pass tech with many/most track day entities.

Good call to go with new tires before . . . but do put at least a couple hundred easy to moderate street miles on them first. Scuffs off the mold release agent (which isn't a grippy substance by design) and seems to make the tires more resistant to chunking.

Norm

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Which new tires did you go with?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm a road racer on dot-r race tires so my help is very limited. I do know that in auto-x where street tires are part of the class rules those guys aren't running a fully treaded street tire. They shave them. This reduces the block height and reduces tire squirm for more grip. You need to do more research on tire shaving to see where those tires are shaved to. If memory is correct somewhere around 4/32 tread depth was the number. For ultimate grip of any tire rubber age is very important too. So what is 20% tread left on your tire? How many 32nds? What is the auto-x race tread depth? Well you have a few things to research...

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
I'm a road racer on dot-r race tires so my help is very limited. I do know that in auto-x where street tires are part of the class rules those guys aren't running a fully treaded street tire. They shave them. This reduces the block height and reduces tire squirm for more grip. You need to do more research on tire shaving to see where those tires are shaved to. If memory is correct somewhere around 4/32 tread depth was the number. For ultimate grip of any tire rubber age is very important too. So what is 20% tread left on your tire? How many 32nds? What is the auto-x race tread depth? Well you have a few things to research...
thanks a lot brother, now i have things to do!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Wear isn't an issue for 4 40 secound autocriss runs. It is an issue for 4 20 minute track sessions.

Nothing worse than cording a tire early at a track day. As you lose a lot of the track time you just spent all that time and money for.

If you have a good set up (more camber than stock), and have a good idea of your on track wear. I might try a close 1 day event with worn tires. Or a TrackNight event. Otherwise no, unless I brought a second set of tires.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Wear isn't an issue for 4 40 secound autocriss runs. It is an issue for 4 20 minute track sessions.

Nothing worse than cording a tire early at a track day. As you lose a lot of the track time you just spent all that time and money for.

If you have a good set up (more camber than stock), and have a good idea of your on track wear. I might try a close 1 day event with worn tires. Or a TrackNight event. Otherwise no, unless I brought a second set of tires.
I have never tracked street tires so I can't comment much but track drivers also shave street tires. Full tread street tires can chunk if pushed and be worse and less safe than a shaved street tire. What the OP needs to find out is what is the shaved depth of a street tire for the track? Certainly a newbie isn't going to chunk his tire into oblivion but a good street tire with less tread might actually be better than a new street tire with full tread. Some research needs to be done and the OP is intelligently starting to do his homework. The OP might call tire rack. Those guys sell dotR race tires and shave tires and sell the 200TWR street tire class of tires that are all the rage for street tire race classes.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have never tracked street tires so I can't comment much but track drivers also shave street tires. Full tread street tires can chunk if pushed and be worse and less safe than a shaved street tire. What the OP needs to find out is what is the shaved depth of a street tire for the track? Certainly a newbie isn't going to chunk his tire into oblivion but a good street tire with less tread might actually be better than a new street tire with full tread. Some research needs to be done and the OP is intelligently starting to do his homework. The OP might call tire rack. Those guys sell dotR race tires and shave tires and sell the 200TWR street tire class of tires that are all the rage for street tire race classes.
I just ran 1 on nearly new MPSS, which i would rate as a lot better than PZero's. Blistered one of the front, on the second day. If I had started with worn out tires, I would have been lucky to get two sessions in.

Shaving is a lot less common than it used to be. The current R compound semi slicks don't need it. And current max performace 200TW tires don't seem to benefit much fron it either. Take a good look at thier tread and you can see how reducing tread squirm with shaving isn't the factor it used to be. Because the tread often starts out lower, and much much bigger blocks and less cuts thsn in the old days. But this is also why all season tires on track are a bad idea. As those are more like the tires from the old days, that had a lot of squirm and would easily overheat unless shaved.

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
The available 180-200 TW street tires are tremendous. I road race with World Racing League and sometimes ChumpCar. We've used Dunlop Direzza, Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, and BFG Rival (not the S). Dunlop, Hankook, and Yokohama all last a full 16-hour weekend if your suspension is set up right. The one time we tried the BFG's, we had a delamination on a front tire. Some racers love them; we won't use them again.

My personal favorite is the Yokohama, followed by the Dunlop. And we run them unshaved.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
The available 180-200 TW street tires are tremendous. I road race with World Racing League and sometimes ChumpCar. We've used Dunlop Direzza, Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, and BFG Rival (not the S). Dunlop, Hankook, and Yokohama all last a full 16-hour weekend if your suspension is set up right. The one time we tried the BFG's, we had a delamination on a front tire. Some racers love them; we won't use them again.

My personal favorite is the Yokohama, followed by the Dunlop. And we run them unshaved.
Have you tried the RE71R? It is suppsedly like an r-comp which I am skeptical about.
Sponsored