S550 Slop, Clickity Clackity Clunkity!

Status
Not open for further replies.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Its a damn shame but mustangs effing clunk!! My 06 and 16 both do.
Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
Any cure?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Junk,no excuse for it...dont think the limited slip rear is as sloppy. Then again I guess if we spent a day in a slaughter house we'd stop eating steak immediately! What you dont know can hurt you, just pretend that it cant! Thats the world we live in!

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I cant believe there is no resolution for this clunking!

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The remedy is to get rid of the torsen diff and upgrade to a tru trak when they make one for the super 8.8 if they haven't already!

animatorsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 2017
As soon as a solution is found, that company making the replacement component is going to make a pretty penny...

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The remedy is to get rid of the torsen diff and upgrade to a tru trak when they make one for the super 8.8 if they haven't already!
I and many others with the same problem have a base gt and we don't have the torsen i believe.

Brazenbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ford sets up their differentials with too much backlash. The remedy is to have a differential shop rebuild your differential with new bearings and crush sleeve. Depending on the ring and pinion wear, they should also be replaced.

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
This noise is only a problem of manuals, right?

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ford sets up their differentials with too much backlash. The remedy is to have a differential shop rebuild your differential with new bearings and crush sleeve. Depending on the ring and pinion wear, they should also be replaced.
This is the actual issue. This has gone on for a while as well, a friend's father who bought a 01 cobra new had a shop rebuild his rear carrier because the backlash was horrible from the factory. The dealership told him it was within spec, which is what I'm sure any dealer would say if we complained about this today.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Totally agree. My auto has made a metallic clunk noise randomly since about 500 miles. 55000 miles and rubber from the rear removed It has just gotten more noticeable. The randomness of it is what gets me. Inspecting it piece by piece it all makes noise that could be the culprit.

Here's a video of my old rear with out shafts in it. Excuse my friends 2:30am aluminium welds I needed it to be road worthy asap. New rear makes the same noise. Putting the shafts in makes it worst. Orem shafts or my 850hp Gforce ones. Drive shaft doesn't make noise until I hook it to the differential then it does.

Last edited:

Brazenbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is the actual issue. This has gone on for a while as well, a friend's father who bought a 01 cobra new had a shop rebuild his rear carrier because the backlash was horrible from the factory. The dealership told him it was within spec, which is what I'm sure any dealer would say if we complained about this today.
They set them up loose and mask the noise with the guibo. That's why guys the swap their driveshaft get so much noise.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I'm guessing this is the clunk I feel/hear when I let off the gas in 6th and then get back on the gas?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.