Sponsored

RE11 vs PSS

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Anyone have experience with both the RE11 and PSS on track? I have done a good amount of track time of the PSS but now I have a dedicated set of track wheels and need track dedicated tires. I am just trying to see if the grip level of the RE11 is that much better than the PSS on track.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
RE11 is definitely the grippier tire. For dedicated track tires they're great. That said, I'd go RE71R over the RE11 for that. RE11's are great for a track tire you could still commute to work on. RE71Rs are superior on the track, though.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm going to be using NT01s. I'm excited to try them, my first "non-street" tire.

My research indicates that if you are brake limited and doing HPDEs RE-11 will grip wonderfully and last much longer than RE-71. If you have more nuts on the brakes (track pads, Brembos) then RE-71, which is a "fake 200 TW" tire... it's probably more likely same as the NT01 rating (140, I think). RE-71 is a must for autocross. I've been around Road Atlanta with (I think 275 or 285) RE-71s in Brent Dalton's car and it felt like grip for days and they were apparently well worn and due to become rubber chips at a playground.

If I were out to get Bridgestones, I'd get RE-11s and cross my fingers they last me a minute.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm going to be using NT01s. I'm excited to try them, my first "non-street" tire.

My research indicates that if you are brake limited and doing HPDEs RE-11 will grip wonderfully and last much longer than RE-71. If you have more nuts on the brakes (track pads, Brembos) then RE-71, which is a "fake 200 TW" tire... it's probably more likely same as the NT01 rating (140, I think). RE-71 is a must for autocross. I've been around Road Atlanta with (I think 275 or 285) RE-71s in Brent Dalton's car and it felt like grip for days and they were apparently well worn and due to become rubber chips at a playground.

If I were out to get Bridgestones, I'd get RE-11s and cross my fingers they last me a minute.
I completely agree with this.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I've done a day at Road Atlanta and a day at Little Talladega and an autox on my RE-11s and about 6000 road miles and they seem to be holding up really well. Grip was good on the road courses but not so much at the autox cross mainly cause it was a 40sec course and not enough time to get any heat in them. I did go full hot rod the last run and just drifted most of the track.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's pretty much how it's done with these cars and non-super stick tires. :)
I know some people take autocrossing seriously but I used to do performance gravel rally with SCCA and NASA.....at the end of the day autocrossing is just aggressively driving around a parking lot. Pailes in comparison after you've done 125mph on gravel sideways in a rally car.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I know some people take autocrossing seriously but I used to do performance gravel rally with SCCA and NASA.....at the end of the day autocrossing is just aggressively driving around a parking lot. Pailes in comparison after you've done 125mph on gravel sideways in a rally car.
Which is why I find AutoX fun but not something I'm going to spend any time or money for unless it's like a course on a air strip that is more than just a big rectangle of turns. Not my thing... also probably suck at it, haha.

OP
OP

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT

NT01's would be great but at $400 less for a set of RE11's, which should last longer, I'm not sure if the NT01s are worth it to me quite yet.

That being said, I have never driven on R comps before so the increased grip could be worth the extra $400.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've autocrossed with four different clubs. Two of them know how to put a course down that actually has some speed. The Chicago Region SCCA has the Rt. 66 parking lot which lends itself to big, fast layouts where you will sometimes need to grab 3rd. I agree it's nothing compared to track driving, but it's a lot cheaper (even though you get way less 'time' for the money) and still gets the juices flowing :)

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
NT01's would be great but at $400 less for a set of RE11's, which should last longer, I'm not sure if the NT01s are worth it to me quite yet.

That being said, I have never driven on R comps before so the increased grip could be worth the extra $400.
Track guys seem to say that NT01s wear like iron. Slightly off pace of a RE71R but with the wear, they're the choice tire of all the track rats I know. Additionally, they perform consistently from new to corded with no measurable dropoff, another plus in their column.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

I went NT01s because I came across a can't pass deal. I'd get RE-11s if I was paying for them myself. RE-11 will last longer, too.

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Any views on the Hankook R-S4? I had R-S3s that were good at first, but got a bit leathery when heat cycled multiple times