Steeda 2 point brace install - review

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Make mine a Ruth's Chris gift card please. :)
No way man - you're in Florida, too - so it's in-person or a downgrade to Burger King.
Sponsored

goodkid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2014 Polar Edition Wrangler; 2005 350Z
Waiting for Stanglife's review. Thanks dude.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Will be looking forward to your testing results; simply curious as to whether there is any TRUE benefit.

Your points are all spot on, and considering the brace does nothing to affect the geometry of the suspension, so I am a little doubtful of just how much an effect a simple brace can have on the steering... Considering just how wide and sticky these tires are, particularly the Cup 2's, I find it a little hard to see how adding a very minute amount of Chassis stiffness would overcome the contributions made by the massively wide sticky front tires to the effect of tramlining.

Would love for the doubt to be proven wrong though :) :cheers:
That and historically, tramlining has been an accepted byproduct of certain tires and sometimes, alignments. This is FAR from the first car to ever come with tires that like to tramline and I challenge you to research and find an instance where it's been corrected by the simple addition of a brace.

We will see.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
All of that said.... people love modding their Mustangs. This car needs fewer mods than most, IMO - so it's a challenge to find something to do on a weekend. This brace isn't going to hurt anything except weight and you aren't going to notice it. The BMR jacking rails I installed are on the heavy side so it is what it is.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Did my install today and then went for a ride around the back-roads I normally drive. I would say I am pretty impressed. The front end feels more planted, the steering more precise and responsive; the car is now definitely more confidence inspiring. After 9 months ownership, the car is still new to me (~1700 miles) so I'm still learning how it feels. I've complained in the past about the poor steering feel and wishy-washyness in the front end, but, with the addition of this brace, I think there is a significant improvement. Is it a placebo effect? I don't think so; I'm glad I added it.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to Hijack, but I have an install question....

I screwed up and couldn't figure out how to get the spacers installed, so I installed without them. Now I see how to do it, but after removing the brace, I see the subframe got indented and now I can't get the spacers in. I tried to bang them out with a chisel with no luck. Any advice on how to get them in, or is it ok to reinstall without the spacers?

Other than that, install was easy and you can definitely feel the difference, well worth the price

Thanks in advance
I think you really need the spacers or it will never get tight. One thought would be see if you can get a measurement of the inside wall to inside wall in the area of the bolt hole (on the sub-frame), then grind down the spacer to this dimension.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Did my install today and then went for a ride around the back-roads I normally drive. I would say I am pretty impressed. The front end feels more planted, the steering more precise and responsive; the car is now definitely more confidence inspiring. After 9 months ownership, the car is still new to me (~1700 miles) so I'm still learning how it feels. I've complained in the past about the poor steering feel and wishy-washyness in the front end, but, with the addition of this brace, I think there is a significant improvement. Is it a placebo effect? I don't think so; I'm glad I added it.
You must've driven a 1/4" to the right of your traditional line. :lol:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
ok.... It's going to be a Porterhouse, just a heads-up.

Sponsored

Michael86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, Magnetic w/stripe, Tech Pack
Installed the brace today and it's a very welcome change. Like it's grounded to the grou.. err no. Better.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I installed this and also thought my tramlining was reduced.

...but I was running track air pressures (on the street), that is 28psi rather than 32psi when I made that observation. The tramlining is still an issue.

There are a bunch of variables here, but I'm also running more camber than stock which will make things worse.

In the past at the track, I have experienced some shuddering in the front end at max cornering. I have not experienced this since adding the brace. The only way I could prove this was the cure would be to take it off and do back-to-back tests. That is unlikely to happen.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
So the aha moment for putting the spacers in was this. Put the wire in the front, bottom hole, and out the top hole. Spacer will be vertical, you can then use the wire to move it to the back hole. Big 'duh' on my part when I figured that out. Passenger side was easy, drivers side had a burr where the slug broke off that I had to file off.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took a ride today and came across the town road crew filling in potholes. Had to drive through the aftermath, which kicked up rocks all over the place, so I scrubbed the tires (quick L to R transitions at maybe 30MPH). I do this often on my way home to clean the tires off as our road also ends up with a lot of rocks and pebbles. I was extremely surprised at the sharpness of the steering with this brace. It really made a big difference to me.

Just a thought: Why does Ford decide to punch holes into this sub-frame member? Bigger holes towards the front and smaller ones towards the rear. Is it they are in bed with the aftermarket? Same goes for the Jacking rails (which I also have). Ford adds tapped holes and inserts with hardware for no reason?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Took a ride today and came across the town road crew filling in potholes. Had to drive through the aftermath, which kicked up rocks all over the place, so I scrubbed the tires (quick L to R transitions at maybe 30MPH). I do this often on my way home to clean the tires off as our road also ends up with a lot of rocks and pebbles. I was extremely surprised at the sharpness of the steering with this brace. It really made a big difference to me.

Just a thought: Why does Ford decide to punch holes into this sub-frame member? Bigger holes towards the front and smaller ones towards the rear. Is it they are in bed with the aftermarket? Same goes for the Jacking rails (which I also have). Ford adds tapped holes and inserts with hardware for no reason?
Things that make you go "Hmmm...".
Sponsored